It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 am

Anyone have experience with this Samsung SSD?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Anyone have experience with this Samsung SSD?

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi all,

I've been contemplating for quite some time to add an external SSD to speed up load times, the reviews on this one look good and it's in my price range. >> http://www.microcenter.com/product/4607 ... _Drive(SSD)_MU-PT500B-AM

Do any Hauptwerk users here have this SSD, and if so how do you like it? Being I generally use only a few sample sets, the 500GB size seems more than ample, how many sets you could put on it I don't know for sure and it would depend on the set, but I'd think sets like Dingelsteadt and St. Max plus a few others would easily fit on it without issue.

Next thing is, if I get one, what's the procedure for transferring HW and the sample sets to it? Anyone care to share the simple laymen terms description on how to do this? Are there any other considerations I'd need to look at, or is this pretty much a simple plug and play ordeal once I have it set up?

Thanks,

Marc

mdyde

Re: Anyone have experience with this Samsung SSD?

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 1:34 pm

Hello Marc,

1961TC4ME wrote:Next thing is, if I get one, what's the procedure for transferring HW and the sample sets to it? Anyone care to share the simple laymen terms description on how to do this? Are there any other considerations I'd need to look at, or is this pretty much a simple plug and play ordeal once I have it set up?

Once you've added a new SSD drive, re-run the installer to move the installation as desired. The 'Planning installation locations' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 18-19 in the current v4.2.1 version) and the 'Changing installation locations' section (page 25) cover it in more detail.

Depending on the size of your new SSD, in the 'custom' option in the installer you could either choose to put all of the installation folders on it (if it was very big, probably 2 TB or more if using lots of large sample sets), or (more commonly), you could choose just to put the 'Internal working data' and 'User data' components on it (which are the speed-critical ones) but keep the 'Sample sets and components' component (which is very large, but not particularly speed-critical) on your C: drive.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

1961TC4ME

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 2:09 pm

Hello Martin,

Thanks for the speedy reply! I use the computer for Hauptwerk only and have used up nearly 1 TB on my hard drive now with just Hauptwerk related data, so I'm assuming I will want to go with the 'custom' option.

Before I proceed I will look over the users guide info, in fact I'll print it so I have it right in front of me. One other question(s): Once I have finished installing the 'internal data' and 'users data' will I then just use the same icon on my desktop to launch Hauptwerk as I've been using all along, or will there be a new one? What I'm wondering is how does the computer know which drive to pull from, or do they then both work together? And finally, does adding an SSD change anything else like audio configurations, routing and so on?

And, forgot to ask, where do I find the installer? I assume somewhere in the Hauptwerk folder?

Thanks again,

Marc

mdyde

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 2:55 pm

Hello Marc,

1961TC4ME wrote:One other question(s): Once I have finished installing the 'internal data' and 'users data' will I then just use the same icon on my desktop to launch Hauptwerk as I've been using all along, or will there be a new one? What I'm wondering is how does the computer know which drive to pull from, or do they then both work together?

There will still just be the same icons (no additional ones). Re-running the installer just updates your current installation internally; it doesn't add a new/separate installation.

1961TC4ME wrote:And finally, does adding an SSD change anything else like audio configurations, routing and so on?

It shouldn't lose or change any of your settings. (It's always good practice to use 'File | Backup ...' first though, just for good measure in case anything goes wrong.)

1961TC4ME wrote:And, forgot to ask, where do I find the installer? I assume somewhere in the Hauptwerk folder?

No -- the installer itself isn't installed as part of Hauptwerk.

If you don't still have it saved from when you previously downloaded it (v4.2.1 version), you can download it again from our main downloads page: http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/

(The 'update installer' is sufficient, but either is fine.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

1961TC4ME

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 3:22 pm

Thanks, Martin, I appreciate the help!

Marc

Return to Computer hardware / specs