It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:26 am

Most similar organ to Palais Montcalm Casavant, Quebec City

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

jrobert

Most similar organ to Palais Montcalm Casavant, Quebec City

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 9:50 am

Hi all

I am preparing for a recording next year at Palais Montcalm, in Quebec city, on their very recent Casavant. I want to use Hauptwerk to get as prepared as possible and would like your advice on which sound library would be the closest. The instrument is described here ( http://www.musiqueorguequebec.ca/orgues ... becpm.html ) first in French then in English, with some contexty, technical information and pictures. It is in a very nice hall with variable acoustics.

Thank you for any comment or suggestion, they will be appreciated.
Jocelyn Robert

josq

Re: Most similar organ to Palais Montcalm Casavant, Quebec C

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 11:47 am

I would have to compare recordings, but judging from the stop lists: what about the quite recently released sample set of the Rosales organ in Portland? See http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/organs/t ... regon.html

dhm

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 1:11 pm

"The organ builder has to provide an instrument.... in the style of Gottfried Silbermann...."
That doesn't look like any Silbermann specification I've ever seen (even if you ignore the fact that the stop names are in French).
If you're looking for a Hauptwerk organ as close as possible in style to the Palais Montcalm Casavant, you can ignore all the Silbermann sample-sets, because (a) there are currently no 3-manual (Gottfried) Silbermann sets, and (b) even of there were, none of them would come close to that specification.
I would have to agree with "josq" that the Portland Rosales probably comes closest, but the Cavaillé-Coll sets of Metz (MDA) or Caen (SP) are actually not dissimilar in specification and (probably) sound.
Another possibility might be the St John Cantius (Crakov) set from Piotr Grabowski.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

lefranc22

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 4:07 pm

You may be interested with this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSXKQH-MK5w

craasch

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 8:01 pm

adri

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 11:22 pm

Wait a moment....a stop list can look like that of another organ, but that doesn't tell you anything about sound differences. How were the pipes made, metal composition, scaling, voicing, wind pressure, winding, etc. These are all factors that play a big role. The core specification looks Silbermann enough, but then the organ builder and folks who ordered the organ seem to have indeed taken the liberties to add all kinds of stops not traditionally found in Silbermann organs, to make the organ more "universal". Nomenclature of stops is irrelevant here. Casavant is a French language builder.

craasch

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 10:42 am

I would recommend that you download the demo instruments and pick the one that you think is the closest. Apparently you are looking for something very specific. The only way to get it the way you want it is for you to choose based on the demo instruments.

jrobert

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:29 am

Many thanks for your recommandations and references. I appreciate a lot. Being at the start of the project, and at the beginning of my use of Hauptwerk, it is very helpful to be able narrow down the options somewhat. Thanks again.

IainStinson

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 3:00 pm

You may find the Pipeloops sample set from St. Joseph church in Bonn-Beuel of some interest too,
http://www.pipeloops.com/product_info.php?products_id=48. It may offer sounds which are similar to the Casavant instrument you are to play.

Iain

josq

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 3:03 pm

Yes, the Bonn-Beuel instrument might be interesting too. And you can test the full instrument for free (but with interruptions as long as you don't have bought a license)

scottherbert

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 5:05 pm

Do you have the Bonn-Beuel? How does it compare to the Caen? I mean in terms of quality of the sample set?

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

josq

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 5:32 pm

I have only the demo of Bonn-Beuel, but I do have the Caen in full. Caen is less versatile, but to my judgment better in terms of quality (this might be due to the quality of the original organ, the quality of the samples, or both).

Return to Hauptwerk instruments