It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:23 am

Dedicated Hauptwerk Computer - Win 7 or Win 10

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

cboschen

Dedicated Hauptwerk Computer - Win 7 or Win 10

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 8:35 am

Martin or others,

My original 2007 Hauptwerk computer (Win 7) is a little "long in the tooth". The motherboard chipset will only allow 8GB of RAM. I am looking at replacing the computer with another Windows box. This will be a dedicated computer and will not go on the Internet. All hardware being equal, should I go with Windows 7 or Windows 10 for the OS? Any advantage with one over the other? I was thinking about maximum RAM available, ability to turn off all unused memory hogs, etc.

Thanks for the input.

IainStinson

Re: Dedicated Hauptwerk Computer - Win 7 or Win 10

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 9:52 am

I would consider the requirements of the most recent versions of the drivers for my audio and Midi interfaces as well as the version of Windows needed for Hauptwerk support, currently the Hauptwerk manual says that Windows 7 and 8.1 are supported. I think Windows 10 is now also supported, perhaps others can confirm this. The drivers for the Hauptwerk USB dongle used for licensing are from a third party and it may be wise to keep their requirements in mind too.

If all else were equal, I would go for the most recent version of Windows which is supported, so that you have the chance of the longest system life without having to update the software.

Iain

mdyde

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 10:17 am

Hello cboschen and Iain,

Yes -- Windows 10 is fully supported for Hauptwerk, and for the Hauptwerk USB key drivers.

I would concur with Iain's recommendations. There are no particular advantages either way from the points of view of performance, audio, MIDI, or for Hauptwerk purposes, but my inclination would be to install Windows 10 on any new computer, since it's more recent and should therefore have the longest useful/supported lifespan, assuming that you all of your hardware and drivers are compatible with Windows 10.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organtechnology

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 10:55 am

Whichever way you decide to go, go with the Windows x Pro 64bit and dump all of the un-needed software from the computer. Use the least invasive internet browser with which you are comfortable and do what is needed to to take control of the system updates. Use an SSD for cache files.

Either get rid of or control all of the things that might want to interrupt Hauptwerk while you are playing and not connected to the internet. Only connect to the internet when necessary to maintain, download or upgrade your system or get remote desktop help. Hauptwerk has a list of things to do and a site called Black Viper also has a list that is more extensive. Update the Windows security on your schedule and avoid features updates that are not useful. Do not use the Hauptwerk computer to surf and keep the virus defense system disabled while playing the Hauptwerk organ but invoked prior to turning on/plugging in the Ethernet access.

Train the computer to power on ready to play your favorite sample set and always shut it down from Hauptwerk using the Shut Computer Down function in Hauptwerk. I use a smart strip AC control that senses the computer is on and turns on the peripherals and audio.

If you have a spare MIDI button, assign it to the Shut Computer Down function. Always backup your Hauptwerk settings after major revisions to computer, console or combinations. NEVER use the System Restore on a Haupwerk computer unless Martin changes his stance on System Restore.

As for an OS choice, if you are a computer person then definitely Win 10 Pro 64bit will give the longest time until EOL. At least 10 years from the intro for Win 10. Many people are talking about how Win 10 is going to stay for longer than that and just upgrade. So maybe it will become Windows XOS :)

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

cboschen

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 12:13 pm

I appreciate all the excellent info. I was most interested in any performance differences - since Microsoft likes to load up each iteration of Windows, with often useless (Hauptwerk wise) features.

My present dedicated Win 7 setup, which was upgraded from XP, has worked flawlessly, since early 2007. I did configure all of the Hauptwerk optimizations. I have not applied any update patches in two or three years, since it is never connected to the Internet, and everything works fine. I see no need to apply Windows Updates unless one is specifically needed for a Hauptwerk update.

I have Win 10 running on several other computers and it has been fine.

Sounds like Windows 10 Pro 64 is the way to go. I believe I have Win 10 drivers for my Audio/Video and Touch Screens, etc.

Thanks again for the great information!

engrssc

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 1:28 pm

cboschen wrote:Sounds like Windows 10 Pro 64 is the way to go. I believe I have Win 10 drivers for my Audio/Video and Touch Screens, etc.

You might want to specifically verify touch screen drivers with Win 10 as there have been issues mentioned by some here. Since you have Win 10 machines handy, it might be useful to load the t/s driver on a Win 10 computer and see what it will do.

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 1:50 pm

cboschen wrote:
Sounds like Windows 10 Pro 64 is the way to go.

Don't know if it applies to Win 10, and if you're not sure, by all means verify first before you buy, but at the time of my Win 7 computer purchase if you didn't go with the 'Pro' version (i.e., instead went with the home version, etc.) you were limited to 16 GB of memory as the lesser versions would not support over 16 GB. Whereas, the 'Pro' version at the time supported up to 64 GB and in some cases I guess more. I'm currently running 32 GB.

Also, check the number of 'total' memory slots available of the machine you are considering purchasing, you don't want anything with less than 4 slots.

Marc

dhm

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 3:58 pm

Windows 7 Home Premium is limited to 16GB of RAM. For more than that, you need Win 7 Pro.
However, with Windows 10, Home will support up to 128GB of RAM, so I see no need for Win 10 Pro.

Thomas mentioned the "strip-down to bare-bones" configurations recommended by blackviper.com.
The list for Windows 7 was easy to read and clear-cut. Last time I looked at the list for Win 10 it looked less clear-cut (to me, at least), and there didn't appear to be a "bare-bones" version.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

organtechnology

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 4:58 pm

dhm wrote:Windows 7 Home Premium is limited to 16GB of RAM. For more than that, you need Win 7 Pro.
However, with Windows 10, Home will support up to 128GB of RAM, so I see no need for Win 10 Pro.

I recommend Win 10 Pro because the Home Edition (CB) gives control of the 'telemetry' to Microsoft. The Pro version can opt out of more of the telemetry. I actually am coming to really like Win 10 Enterprise LTSB but its availability is still in question.

Thomas mentioned the "strip-down to bare-bones" configurations recommended by blackviper.com.
The list for Windows 7 was easy to read and clear-cut. Last time I looked at the list for Win 10 it looked less clear-cut (to me, at least), and there didn't appear to be a "bare-bones" version.

Thanks I will look at that and update myself.

Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Eric Sagmuller

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 7:05 pm

Windows 10 Home Premium is good to 128 GB. I chose this as I really didn't think I needed the additional capabilities of Professional, and assumed there would be less to disable to get glitch free audio. I was probably wrong about this, but it seems I finally have a glitch free setup.

I never connect it to the internet, so hopefully won't run into problems there. I'm paranoid to do any updates, which I'm sure there have been many since about a year ago when I built the machine. My home computer runs Win 7 Enterprise, a machine from work, and it frequently does automatic updates. Always when I go to shut it down for the night, which is annoying.

Eric

Return to Computer hardware / specs