It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:05 am

DIY Hauptwerk Console rebuild

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

therepetiteur

DIY Hauptwerk Console rebuild

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 1:55 pm

Hi folks
I have a 3 manual Galanti digital organ which I plan on re-building for eventual Hauptwerk modernization.
I plan on adding a fourth manual, replacing the piston rails with new rails (wood) to customize the piston arrangement, adding additional rocker-tabs to each division (including the creation of a small solo division), adding rocker-tabs for sub and super octaves and their couplers, adding foot pistons, re-mounting the music rest to allow space for the solo manual and replacing the name-board. However, the work will be done by someone else as I am terrible with DIY!

My only question - I have seen hauptwerk-converted consoles whereby the owner has not converted the drawknobs/tabs to screens and has somehow hidden the PC controlling the software very well, so as to make the whole set-up look like a stand-alone digital organ. Any ideas on how to go about achieving this?

I'd be so grateful for any advice!

Many thanks

larason2

Re: DIY Hauptwerk Console rebuild

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 6:06 pm

Thanks for sharing with us your plans on your console, sounds very interesting!

For your question, I should think you would want to preserve the original Galanti organ functionality. If that is the case, the stops may already be midified and can work with Hauptwerk (I believe the manuals and pedals at least already are midified on current Galanti's). You may not be able to add a new manual and stops to the existing hardware, but you may be able to add them to a separate Midi board that Hauptwerk can recognize. This has the benefit of preserving the original functionality. The hardest part would be getting Hauptwerk to play through the existing speakers, but if you have a professional doing the work for you they may be able to do it (you could have a switch that switches from Galanti input to the PC input to the speakers.) The speakers would need rewiring to work this way. A small computer like a Mac mini might be able to be secreted away in the interior. Surely others have good advice for how you could proceed as well.

therepetiteur

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 6:12 pm

Larason2, thanks for responding - I'm so grateful!

I should add a few points -

-Yes, I do want to preserve the current functionality of the Galanti. Only for the next few months, until I do the turnover to MIDI. At this stage, I just want to add all the additions to the console.
- With regards to the Mac Mini, I understand that someone else did this with a Galanti and they somehow set it up so that by turning the organ on, the mac mini from inside the console also turned on and loaded straight into hauptwerk and their presets (all the pistons, stops etc working right away as their saved configuration/organ). I am definitely wanting to go for that method. I just don't know how they did this nor who they are (I could only see the images on google images). I understand this eliminates the need for a monitor, mouse and keyboard (of course unless one wants to play different organs and/or change the set-up/use the computer for any other task). It is pretty neat that the computer can turn on and load hauptwerk/send all the right signals to the organ instantly, eliminating any other use from the computer). If anyone on here has a good understanding of how I can go about this, I'd be so grateful to hear from you!

Many thanks
Liam

johnstump_organist

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 3:49 pm

I know some people have used the music rack as a means of hiding the monitor when they basically have a headless setup where they only need occasional access to the monitor for starting up, fixing glitches, doing voicing etc.
It could a music rack that covers a compartment holding the monitor and the rack could fold up, fold down (making a little desk in front of the monitor), or possibly be in two halves that would open like cabinet doors to reveal the monitor.
Keyboard and mouse could be in a drawer under and to one side of the keyboards.
John

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI