It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 am

Controlling External Pipework

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

solotibia

Controlling External Pipework

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 9:23 pm

Hi,

I've read page 153 of the HW user manual, and looked at the settings in HW - "The output tab allows you to use Hauptwerk's native relay and combination system to control real external pipework or external MIDI voice expanders, so that they play directly in response to Hauptwerk's individual virtual ranks"

When the option to drive external pipework is chosen does this mean that the virtual rank that it is to replace is switched off? Or would I have to not load the virtual rank for this to occur?

Also is there are way to output swell control MIDI? Or would I need to have direct connections between the swell shades and swell shoes via a separate control system?

How many ports of MIDI would be required to eventually cope with 10 ranks of unified pipework - 706 pipes?

Cheers,

Ian

mdyde

Re: Controlling External Pipework

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 4:22 am

Hello Ian,

[Topic moved here.]

Are you sure you mean page 153? That's the 'Stop/coupler/tremulant switches and pistons/buttons' section in the current (v4.2.1) version of the Hauptwerk user guide. (If you have an older version of Hauptwerk installed currently then please first upgrade to the current version: http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/ ... which is a free upgrade.)

From your description, I assume you're referring to the 'Organ settings | Advanced MIDI applications | Direct MIDI input/output for ranks/pipes' screen (page 158 in the current v4.2.1 version).

solotibia wrote:When the option to drive external pipework is chosen does this mean that the virtual rank that it is to replace is switched off? Or would I have to not load the virtual rank for this to occur?

You would also need to disable the rank via the 'Organ | Load organ, adjusting rank audio/memory options/routing' screen in order that the virtual rank no longer sounded within Hauptwerk itself.

solotibia wrote:How many ports of MIDI would be required to eventually cope with 10 ranks of unified pipework - 706 pipes?

For best results (tightest timing) my inclination would be to get as close to one MIDI OUT port per rank as feasible, on the smallest number of MIDI interfaces possible (keeping them all attached to a single good-quality [e.g. Belkin] *powered* [not 'bus-powered] USB 2.0 hub if more than one MIDI interface, to avoid any potential for issues with them getting switched around in the OS). E.g.:

- MOTU MIDI Express 128, which has 8 MIDI OUT ports: http://motu.com/products/midi/128 or:
- iConnectivity Mio 10, which has 10 MIDI OUT ports: https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/midi/mio10 .

They're both rack-mountable, which is very handy.

I have several MOTU MIDI Express 128 units all connected via a single Belkin powered USB 2.0 hub and they work very well for me on both OS X and Windows. I have no experience myself with the iConnectivity interfaces, although of course having 10 MIDI OUT ports on a single interface could be an advantage.

Probably the slight loss of timing resolution (and additional latency) from having two ranks share the same MIDI OUT port (e.g. on a single 8-port interface) wouldn't be considered noticeable anyway, especially if you picked the least timing-critical ones (e.g. ranks with slower speech).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

solotibia

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 4:48 am

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your insights and tips.

It seems that if I was to go down this route, then my Edirol UM880 would have been a perfect MIDI device for this application. Well, for 8 of the ranks. But, the new managers of Roland have chosen not to update the UM-880 drivers.

I've been using 4.2.1 for a long time now. I must have a copy of an earlier user manual on this computer (not my HW system).

Are you driving any pipes with all of those MOTU MIDI Express 128's?

Cheers,

Ian

mdyde

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 5:09 am

Thanks, Ian. You're very welcome.

No -- I don't have any real pipework myself.
Best regards, Martin.

solotibia

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 5:19 am

Hi Martin,

I have a supplementary question.

If I wanted, or needed to have an extended rank which contained both virtual and real pipes, is the only way to achieve this to have two ranks in the ODF? If for example, due to limited chamber height, I had to leave out two pipes in a rank.

Of if I needed to extend a pipe rank by an octave of virtual pipes?

Cheers,

Ian

mdyde

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 6:15 am

Hello Ian,

In either the CODM or 'full' ODF formats, the way to do that would be create separate Rank and ExternalRank entries and link them both (via StopRank entries) to the appropriate stop.
Best regards, Martin.

solotibia

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 6:40 pm

Thanks Martin,

Perfect! Thank you. I have not ever needed to use ExternalRank entries in an ODF before.

Cheers,

Ian

solotibia

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi Martin,

Do you know of any Hauptwerk installations where external pipework is successfully integrated with the virtual using the native Hauptwerk relay and MIDI out?

Cheers,

Ian

mdyde

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 3:44 am

Hello Ian,

I'm fairly certain that I recall that a few people do use it, but I can't remember who off-hand. Perhaps try searching around on the forum, and/or perhaps some of those people will see this topic and reply to you that way.

There certainly shouldn't be any reason not to use Hauptwerk's relay for controlling external pipework in principle (given a sufficient number of MIDI OUT ports for the number of ranks, fed into suitable pipe pallet/valve control circuitry/hardware).
Best regards, Martin.

IainStinson

mdyde

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 1:21 pm

Thanks as always, Iain.
Best regards, Martin.

solotibia

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 8:49 pm

Thank you Iain.

Return to Technical support