It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:03 am

krzeszow

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

atugores

krzeszow

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 2:39 pm

Hello to everybody, I have 2 questions I would like to expose to you.
1ª. I'am still wondering what is best to loas a sample at 16,20 or 24 bits, the normal CD listing is 16, so I wonder for normal playing at home which of the three is best?.
2ª. after listen to almost all the interpretations placed at contrabombarde concert hall with the Krzesow sample from SP, I arrived to the conclusion that this is a good sample for Bach, the interpretations of all the organist that uploaded there where marvelous, so I finally bought the sample from SP, I have to say that I don't know what happens but the sound is horrible, is like thousand guitars playing at the same time and out of tune, sometime the sound suddenly stops (no sound) and I have to load it again, the sound is also distorted, bothers my ears, awful, definitely unplayable, I load it in surround 24 bits, at 20 bits, always the same result, I checked the temperament and I set it to original organ temperament, at Krzesow meantime temperament, still unplayable, it has to be something wrong but I don't know what happens, I regret now I buy this sample. I have to say this horrible sound does not happens with the others samples I have like Menesterol, Duchoquet cavaille coll, J.A Silbermann/Arlesheim, Metzler Organ op. 650/Poblet Monatery. So thats it, if any of you with more experience than me know what may happen, I would appreciate your help, Thanks.

murph

Re: krzeszow

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 2:48 pm

Hi.
How much ram do you have and have you loaded all samples, or just the front ones?

P.s. Make sure that you are NOT using the Kammerton stops with the normal ones (they are a semi-tone lower!! Will sound out of tune, obviously!!)
Last edited by murph on Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Hello atugores,

atugores wrote:1ª. I'am still wondering what is best to loas a sample at 16,20 or 24 bits, the normal CD listing is 16, so I wonder for normal playing at home which of the three is best?.

CDs are normalised so that they (very nearly) use the full 16-bit bit-depth, whereas individual pipe samples usually aren't -- sample set producers instead usually normalise the recording levels for the loudest pipes on the organ. Hence the quieter pipes usually wouldn't be using the full 16-bit range, so you might possibly hear the noise floor a bit more in release tails than with CDs unless you load in a higher bit-depth (e.g. 20-bit) to compensate. It depends upon the samples' recording levels, how many pipes are sounding, how long the release tails are, etc.

atugores wrote:2ª. after listen to almost all the interpretations placed at contrabombarde concert hall with the Krzesow sample from SP, I arrived to the conclusion that this is a good sample for Bach, the interpretations of all the organist that uploaded there where marvelous, so I finally bought the sample from SP, I have to say that I don't know what happens but the sound is horrible, is like thousand guitars playing at the same time and out of tune, sometime the sound suddenly stops (no sound) and I have to load it again, the sound is also distorted, bothers my ears, awful, definitely unplayable, I load it in surround 24 bits, at 20 bits, always the same result, I checked the temperament and I set it to original organ temperament, at Krzesow meantime temperament, still unplayable, it has to be something wrong but I don't know what happens, I regret now I buy this sample. I have to say this horrible sound does not happens with the others samples I have like Menesterol, Duchoquet cavaille coll, J.A Silbermann/Arlesheim, Metzler Organ op. 650/Poblet Monatery. So thats it, if any of you with more experience than me know what may happen, I would appreciate your help, Thanks.

Do any of the meters go into the red on Hauptwerk's 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' large control panel ('View | Large floating control panels ...'? (Perhaps the sample set is over-filling the computer's memory, for example.) Do you hear the same distortions when only a single stop is drawn?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mnailor

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 3:00 pm

I found this sample set to have high quality, personally. I did reduce the effect of wind modelling to about 30% because I felt the wind sag was a bit much, and I don't use the big mixture on the main manual because it doesn't blend to my ears. I changed the temperament to a more moderate Neidhardt II for Bach. And of course, don't use the Cammerton stops with any others since they aren't tuned to the same pitch.

I do have 64GB of memory and more than enough CPU available; a shortfall in either would affect the sound a lot.

It is an old organ with plenty of interesting noises in some of the stops, but the sampling and ensemble seem very good to me.

atugores

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 3:23 pm

I have an iMac i5 quad core with 32 ram, I do not use the cammerton stops, the mixture in GO is like a catfight, as I said I use the krezsow meantime temp. I do not know where to get a Neidhardt II temp. I'm really sorry to say that but the sound is horrible, it is not in the other samples like Poblet with is quiet big loaded in 24 and it sounds great. What I do not know is why the sound stops suddenly, with this computer it shouldn't be any problems. I'm really frustrated.

josq

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 3:28 pm

Please install the fix available under the "updates" tab at http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/organs/t ... oland.html

Then, before and while playing make sure that:
*BOTH stops labeled "Copula Camer Ton" are disabled
*All pedal stops with the "Camer Ton" subscript are disabled
*All "Ventil" stops are enabled.

Without the fix installed, the "Copula 1ma Camer Ton" may appear on while it is switched off, and vice versa.

The GO mixture in principle should not be affected by these issues. Please note however the GO (2nd manual) and Oberwerk (3d manual) contain tierce mixtures, resulting in a sesquiltera-like sound that may give some harmonical collisions when used in a plenum.

josq

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 3:40 pm

It is also very important to realise Krzeszow has a non-equal temperament. Therefore, a Fis-major chord sounds incredibly out of tune, while a C-major chord will sound almost pure, for example . If you don't like this, under view>>mini control panels>>temperament load/assign you can select "equal temperament" instead of the original temperament (or the "Krzeszow meantone" temperament that is supplied with the sample set).

dhm

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 4:48 pm

atugores wrote:...sometime the sound suddenly stops (no sound) and I have to load it again...

There is a stop marked "Calcanten Glöckel". I'm guessing that if you hit this by accident, it might turn off the wind. :D
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

telemanr

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 8:10 pm

I think that stop is the bell to summon the person who pumped the bellows in the days before power.
Rob Enns

atugores

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 6:04 am

Thanks to all of you, I will try all you have told me and I will let you know what happens, thank you

IainStinson

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 8:37 am

Sonus Paradisii recommend loading the instrument in 20 or 24 bit resolution.

This is a great instrument. I use it with a free extension from Christoph Schmitz which arranges the stops in a more modern way which makes it easier to play the instrument. The extension also includes additional couplers. See http://hauptwerk-organ.com/krzeszow/. Note: the extension is downloaded from links on the right of the screen (and are not shown on my iPad in portrait orientation.). There is also a single display enhancement from Al Morse, http://almorse.net/content_enhancements.html.

Iain

chr.schmitz

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 9:47 am

Iain,

Thank you very much bringing my attention to the iPad issue. In fact, when I set up the web site it was intended to hide the download buttons on an iPad and iPhone, as I thought that it would not make any sense to download the extension on these devices. But with iCloud Drive, it may make sense. Therefore, I changed this behavior.

All the best,
Chris

Return to Hauptwerk instruments