It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 am

Keyboard learn issue, help!

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Alte_neume

Keyboard learn issue, help!

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 11:01 pm

I have a new MidiClassic HW instrument with 4 manuals and pedal. I just received my copy of the full version Salisbury Willis sample set. When attempting to assign the midi keyboards to the Willis divisions I had a hiccup: though my pedals, great, and swell manuals were assigned without difficulty, the bottom and top keyboards in my stack for some reason are not being seen as 2 different keyboards. If I assign the solo division to the top manual and attempt to assign the bottom manual to the choir, HW sees both as the same signal.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thank you so much.

organtechnology

Re: Keyboard learn issue, help!

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 11:32 pm

Hi,
The bottom and top keyboards are probably on the same MIDI channel. Use a MIDI display program to see.

Best regards,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Alte_neume

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 11:50 pm

Thanks, I do see that it has assigned them both to "channel 04" but when I tried to change one to, for example, channel 05 it doesn't report any input. Is that what you mean?

mdyde

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 3:06 am

Hello Alte_neume,

How do you have the keyboards cabled to the computer and/or together?

If they're all connected together, and then connected to the computer via a single cable (whether a single MIDI cable, or a single direct USB-to-USB cable, between the keyboard stack and the computer), then each of the keyboards needs to be set within the keyboard hardware itself to transmit on a different MIDI channel, so that the computer/Hauptwerk can tell them apart. Classic MIDI Works' documentation for the keyboards will cover how to do that.

Once you've changed the MIDI transmission channel for one of those two keyboards (so that they are all then use distinct MIDI channels), you would need to use right-click auto-detection on the relevant virtual keyboard(s) again so that Hauptwerk knows to respond to it on the new channel.

(It isn't sufficient just to change the MIDI channel in Hauptwerk; the channel needs to be changed within the transmitting hardware, i.e. the relevant MIDI keyboard itself.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Alte_neume

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 11:39 am

Thank you for your posts, Thomas and Martin!

I went back and reconfigured my top manual and it I was able to successfully fix the problem. I've spent my morning enjoying the glory of this Salisbury sample set.

Thanks again!

mdyde

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 12:14 pm

Excellent. Thanks -- you're very welcome.

Hope you have have lots of fun with it all.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support