It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:27 am

Oberlinger

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Rimokatolik

Oberlinger

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 3:32 pm

I have downloaded Oberlinger and tried it. It sounded good to me (but I am beginner) and I am considering buying it. However I hit big issue that none of the stops on the right jamb work. Has anyone seen/heard that and has solution?

Also, I searched this forum, and I have seen many not so good comments about it when it was about to be released. Has those issues been corrected as now is already at version 1.4?

Thank you all in advance,
Dinko

scottherbert

Re: Oberlinger

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 4:17 pm

Although I do not have that particular set, I have another trial set from Pipeloops. They mute periodically. I found this disconcerting until I realized that everything was working O.K., and this was how their trial editions worked! Could this be it? Otherwise could it be that you have not activated that keyboard?

Just some things to check as I miss them too. Since you are just looking now, be sure to check out the Caen and the Rosales at Sonus Paradisi! They are also excellent organs at about the same price.

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

Rimokatolik

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 4:46 pm

I am aware of the muting, but it is not it. There are stops for each division on left and right side. Left ones are working, right ones no. Also, Pipeloops does not mute interrupt if you select up to 5 stops at once, so that's nice. Thank you for advice, I will check them out.

Lauwerk

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 5:53 pm

Dinko -

The Bonn-Beuel Oberlinger organ is relatively "French" despite its physical location in Germany. (OK, some would argue that the voicing is not adequately or successfully French, but I like it, anyway.) Following the French design paradigm, each division of the Bonn-Beuel organ includes windchest(s) for flue stops that are automatically "on," or in other words receiving wind from the blowers/bellows. (In some French organs, the G.O. flue windchest may not be automatically "on.") In addition to their windchests for flue stops, each Bonn-Beuel division has a separate windchest that receives air only if its own connection to wind supply is opened by activating a "stop" at the console. In the Bonn-Beuel Oberlinger organ, these "stops" or wind controls are numbered 7, 8, 9, and 10. Each includes the words "Appel Anches" (= "add reeds") and then the short reference to each division: PED, G.O., POS, and REC.

It may be unusual that in the Bonn-Beuel sample set (and presumably in the original pipe organ), ALL of the speaking stops on the right-hand side of the console belong to Anches (reed) windchests. The sample set is modeled correctly in that you must "draw" the appropriate "Appel Anches" wind control (#7, 8, 9, or 10) in order to have ANY of the stops in the right-hand panel for that division to produce sound. This kind of design is a historic way to prepare registration for sudden addition (or cessation) of large/brilliant sounds. Note that not all of the "Anches" stops are actually reeds: instead, some are flues that add bright color and are frequently called upon in connection with reeds.

I hope this understanding solves your riddle.

Enjoy!
Don Vlazny

Rimokatolik

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 7:46 pm

Great! Thank you so much for explanation! Helps a lot

Return to Hauptwerk instruments