It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:21 am

Replacing pedals in pedalboard

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Agnus_Dei

Replacing pedals in pedalboard

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 11:04 am

Hi All.

I'm about to replace 10 natural-key pedals in my Classic Midiworks pedalboard, ranging from "Low-C" through "Middle-E." The pedals, which I believe are made of soft pine, have worn down over 1 inch in some cases during 6 years of heavy usage.

This time, before replacing the worn pedals, I'm coating the new ones with polyurethane, in order to provide "hard" protection. The remaining, pedals, which have no wear, or very little, will also be coated for protection.

My question is, "Do I need to have access to "both sides" of the pedalboard when swapping out/in the actual pedals?" By "both sides" I mean "top and bottom" of the pedalboard. It would seem that this is so since the screws on the mounting brackets look like they needed to be tightened from both ends.

My "other" question is, "Am I correct that the pedal removal and installation can NOT be done while the pedalboard is laying flat on the floor? (My pedal board is not attached to a console.)

Any answer or advice is appreciated!

THANKS!

Peace,

David

mdyde

Re: Replacing pedals in pedalboard

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 11:12 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

GrahamH

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 2:26 pm

Hi David

Assuming the Classic Midiworks pedal board is of a fairly conventional home console design and by "brackets" you mean the spring steel plates or hinges that fasten the heel end of the pedals to the frame, the answer to both your questions is probably 'No' - but 'it all depends', so read on ....

Leave the pedal board flat on the floor.
Remove the heel-board to expose the heel end of the pedals.
Carefully unscrew and remove the screws that hold the steel plates/hinges to the frame.
Lift and slide the pedals (with their hinges) backwards and upwards to remove them.

BUT - if there is any paraphernalia (magnets for example) attached to the toe end of the pedals, you may need to remove this first of all - in which case you will need to stand your pedal board on end or turn it upside down.
AND - if the guides at the toe end of the pedals are in the form of bolts or spindles that go through the pedals and would therefore prevent you from sliding them out, you will have to deal with that scenario by taking the "lid" off the toe-board, for example. But hopefully Classic's pedal boards are not of that kind.

Having removed the pedals, you can now remove the steel plates/hinges and attach them firmly to the new pedals.
Insert the new pedals between the guides at the toe end.
Locate the steel plates at the heel end and insert the screws to attach them to the frame.
Tighten the screws sufficiently to achieve the correct degree of "springiness" to the pedals.

Hope this helps - but to be more definitive I would need more details regarding the actual construction of your pedal board.

Regards
Graham

Agnus_Dei

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi Graham.

THANK YOU for taking the time to answer. I appreciate it.

I've never changed pedals before, and while I know a lot about car engines, I confess that I know little about putting together a pedalboard! :oops:

I think the Classic pedalboards are of the "simple" type, and the only thing I was cautioned about was that if any of the notes don't play, I have to adjust the reed switches.

I've sent a link to the schematic/help pictures that Classic linked me to:

https://us.midiworks.ca/index.php/suppo ... d-switches

Graham, would you mind if we communicated through an email?

It's not that I don't want others to see my questions, or want them to offer ideas, etc., but I'd like to send you a picture, which I believe could help you answer more easily.

If you send an email to me, I can respond.

I'm grateful to have your help, Graham. I sincerely appreciate it.

Peace,

David
Last edited by Agnus_Dei on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

murph

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 4:27 pm

FWIW: it might be worth getting an old hammond board, if you can get one cheaply enough. The naturals seem to be either maple or horn-beam, which last forever. Some creative screwing/carpentry should fix things for a long time.

Tony.

Agnus_Dei

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 9:05 pm

Hi Tony.

Classic sold me the 10 replacement pedals.

I was advised by an American seller, whose pedals are HARDWOOD, that coating them with polyurethane will seal them, and give them a hard "shell" to protect them.

I've got the pedals and am ready to swap them. I just want to get as much "info" as I can before doing anything.

THANKS for taking the time to answer!

Peace,

David

engrssc

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 9:25 pm

murph wrote:FWIW: it might be worth getting an old hammond board, if you can get one cheaply enough. y.

FWIW, Hammond p/b's, except for the Concert model are flat not concave or AGO spec'd.

Rgds,
Ed

John_Abson

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 3:26 am

The polyurethane will give a hard finish but will depend on the wood it is covering to provide resistance to impact. You may get some improvement in wear resistance by using such a finish, but the better solution would be to cap the pedals with maple or beech.

Agnus_Dei

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 7:28 am

Thanks, John.

Yes, I realize what you are saying. This is what I was advised by a major US HW "seller."

I think it's worth the try, since I already have the pedals.

If it doesn't work, I will replace the pedals with hardwoods.

THANKS for taking the time to answer.

David

John_Abson

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 8:50 am

Sorry if I pointed out the obvious :D Sounds like you have a good strategy.

scottherbert

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 9:33 am

There are those that make their own pedal boards. Making a natural is no big deal, if you have the dimensions. If you ever get to that point, just use maple or oak, and use a router to round over the edges. When you finish that with some poly, they would never wear out! :wink:

~S

post script; Some hardwoods are not so hard, i.e. poplar is relatively soft, yet classed as a hardwood. Perhaps that is the hardwood used on those rapidly wearing pedals? :roll:
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

Eric Sagmuller

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 11:09 am

I had assumed all pedalboards were made with hardwood. As much as Classic charge for theirs, I would expect nothing else. Looking at their website however, I see they don't even mention what wood is used :( .

Eric

Agnus_Dei

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 11:11 am

Well, Scott I'm NOT going to be one of those who do so... :wink:

I DO however THANK YOU and EVERYONE who is answering and making suggestions! :)

Peace,

David

Agnus_Dei

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 11:12 am

Hi Eric.

I'm not here to say anything against Classic, but I WAS surprised to see this happen.

They have REALLY worn down.

I also have had to change manual contacts MANY times on the "basic" Fatar keyboards, but I know they don't make those.

Peace,

David

scottherbert

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 12:56 pm

Agnus_Dei wrote:Well, Scott I'm NOT going to be one of those who do so... :wink:

I DO however THANK YOU and EVERYONE who is answering and making suggestions! :)

Peace,

David

Ha ha, O.K. David, some of us are "do it yourselfers", and some of us are smart! You are apparently of the latter group. :D

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"
Next

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI