It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 am

Board IDC connectors

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

Board IDC connectors

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 11:56 pm

Don't know if I mentioned, I use several versions of IDC connectors with ribbon cables. Years ago I worked
for a military (and space industry) supplier (Barber-Colman) and got into unitized construction thinking.That being components (control assemblies) etc, everything was plug-in. Easy to swap assemblies rather than do a repair in the field was the idea. This vs soldering everything together.

With some of the boards I have built, I've found the pins on the mail chassis IDC connectors aren't long enough. So with a long nose pliers, I pull out the pins and substitute (dress maker's) straight pins (needles). Cheap enough,like 400 just a couple bucks at Walmart..I snip off the heads with a diag pliers and the mating female connectors don't know the difference. The needles are plated and are very solderable. Been doing this for quite awhile, no problems.

Thinking about (organ) components I use, they have quite an international flavor. Poland, Bulgaria, UK, Germany, Mexico, Netherlands, Japan, China, Czech Republic, Russia, Malaysia and of course USA. Probably some I forgot. Not sure this would be as easy if not for the Internet. 8)

Another recommendation is this Head Visor Magnifier. Really great for doing close up fine work as with SMD's. Great for tired, well used eyes, too :shock: While I normally wear glasses, I found with these, I can see better without my glasses, just using the Magnifier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361981063470?vectorid=229466&lgeo=1&item=361981063470&rmvSB=true

One last thing - a (price) comparison web site. Found this while looking for some hard to find organ parts I needed. Says it checks over 1.3 billion items to find the best price, has a feature to set a price point so if the item becomes available at that price, GoSale will notify you. There is a real time graphic display that shows what the price has been recently, etc. This site does the same thing as those best travel price web sites No charge for using it. Yeah, it's cool. 8)

https://www.gosale.com

BTW, I found some sellers/vendors lower a price for just a short time, as in just for a day or even just for a few hours.

Rgds,
Ed

NickNelson

Re: Board IDC connectors

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 2:43 am

I can't say I've had trouble with IDC connectors, but a would second the recommendation for head magnifiers. I have a set of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Head-Magnifie ... 2307887558

and while one looks faintly ridiculous with them on, they allow me to keep on being pretty effective on fine/small work.

Nick

engrssc

Re: Board IDC connectors

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 6:49 am

There comes a time in one's life where efficiency and proficiency out weigh the appearance (looking ridiculous) factor. :)

Regarding longer IDC connector pins, I have made some 2 level boards (due to space considerations) where the top board has the IDC (male) connector. The lower board requires some of the same connections/circuits as does the upper board (power, etc). These longer IDC pins from the upper male IDC connector extend thru the upper PCB down to a female connector on the lower board.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Computer hardware / specs