It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

AMD FX-8320E CPU issues

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

elgoosey

AMD FX-8320E CPU issues

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 6:28 pm

Hello,

A couple of years ago I built my Hauptwerk PC. I had the 3gb limit version of Hauptwerk and used small sample sets, so getting a processor like this wasn't an issue. However, as I upgraded last year and had the advanced edition and Caen sampleset the processor became more of an issue. It cannot run the surround version, as the CPU gauge finds itself in the red nearly all the time. It cannot run the normal version properly if say I use the mixtures and then use Hauptwerk's octave coupler and play Widor's Toccata for example. The computer runs 16gb of RAM, from what I can remember.

I thought at the time 8 cores would be good, but it seems cache may be an issue? Or is there something on my PC I can do to make the thing run properly? Maybe time for a complete upgrade now I am into this far more than I was two years ago?

Regards
John

MrNhanduc

Re: AMD FX-8320E CPU issues

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 7:45 am

The older AMD processors have many cores, but these cores are (per core) very slow relative to current AMD and Intel processors. I have never used these type of AMD processors for that reason. Assuming the polyphony is set correctly and the computer is doing well for the rest, I guess there is not much to do about it. It uses an older socket on which you cannot use any better (except slightly better processors from the same FX line but these will add to your electricity bill).

elgoosey

Re: AMD FX-8320E CPU issues

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 5:16 pm

Well, after playing around in my BIOS for another reason, the CPU is working a lot better and can handle Caen surround with a lot of stops on, playing Widor's toccata without breaking much of a sweat now. The only thing is an odd blip or crackle on the audio scale now. I tried an Asio 4 All driver but it was unplayable with my sound system. So I think I have made one problem better, just got to upgrade the sound card/driver next I think.

Thanks
John

Return to Computer hardware / specs