It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:06 am

Classic Midiworks Cherry keyboard care?

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

162_Ranks

Classic Midiworks Cherry keyboard care?

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 6:27 pm

Hi -- classic midiworks says to care for their cherry keyboard by just keeping them wiped clean.

I've had mine for a couple of years now, and I've been waiting for them to get that nice smooth hand-rubbed finish from all of the playing, but either I don't play enough or my hands are too clean because the keys seem, if anything, drier and rougher than when new. There is nothing wrong, just looking for some advise to get a smoother feel.

Steel wool? Any finish product like wax or tung oil? Or just wait 20 more years? :lol:

BachsFugue

Re: Classic Midiworks Cherry keyboard care?

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 7:58 pm

The mention of steel wool made my heart skip a beat. Tiny steel fibers around anything with electrical contacts is just asking for trouble. Just don't! In fact, anything that creates fine particles or dust would, for me, be a complete "no-no".

Good luck.
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

1961TC4ME

Re: Classic Midiworks Cherry keyboard care?

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 2:04 pm

I'd say what you want to do depends. Do the keys have any kind of finish on them such as a urethane or lacquer, or are they just a natural unfinished cherry?

Marc

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI