It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:05 am

Subwoofer

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

atugores

Subwoofer

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 3:48 am

Hello to all of you, my audio HW system has 4 speakers with an 8” woofer, now I would like to add a subwoofer, do you think one with a 10” will be enough ?, or it should be beager than 10” (maybe 12” or 15”), thank you very much for your help.

mdyde

Re: Subwoofer

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 4:47 am

Hello atugores,

[I've moved your topic here, since it's a general question about amplification hardware, rather than a Hauptwerk software technical support question per-se.]

I would say that the speaker size isn't necessarily the most important criterion alone -- the performance it achieves, in terms of frequency response, amplitude, phase, etc. are more important (although, very broadly, larger speakers do tend to be able to handle lower frequencies and higher amplitudes better, all else being equal). However, lots of Hauptwerk users on this forum have experience with sub-woofers, so others will probably be better-placed to make specific recommendations.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

jkinkennon

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 4:00 pm

A 15" sub is likely to go down to all but the last half-octave of a 32' rank while maintaining good efficiency. As the driver size decreases it becomes necessary to incorporate filtering to boost the lowest response thus wasting some power which equals lower efficiency.

The filtering or equalization can be passive but the better subs will use some form of voicecoil feedback or carefully programmed boost to get the bottom range. The more advanced circuitry to do servo type feedback will add to the cost.

The bottom line is that a 10" driver can do the job with the right design and with the understanding that the 10" driver with power wasting equalization will not produce the highest output. So it's all a tradeoff. I'd stick with at least a 12" driver and go with 15" if BOTH higher output and a flat response to 16Hz is the goal. I don't think the 15" driver is a requirement for normal organ volume in a residential space.

dhm

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 4:21 pm

Several of our home-use customers use the M-Audio SBX-10 (aka BX Subwoofer), which (in theory, at least) goes down to 20Hz and is keenly priced (under GB£300). Another model that claims 20Hz is the Presonus Temblor 10 (just over £300), but I haven't yet tested this one.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

organtechnology

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 6:57 pm

dhm wrote:Several of our home-use customers use the M-Audio SBX-10 (aka BX Subwoofer), which (in theory, at least) goes down to 20Hz and is keenly priced (under GB£300). Another model that claims 20Hz is the Presonus Temblor 10 (just over £300), but I haven't yet tested this one.

HI,
I have tested and use the Presonus Temblor and like it very much for 16ft. ranks.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

organtechnology

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 6:59 pm

jkinkennon wrote:A 15" sub is likely to go down to all but the last half-octave of a 32' rank while maintaining good efficiency. As the driver size decreases it becomes necessary to incorporate filtering to boost the lowest response thus wasting some power which equals lower efficiency.

The filtering or equalization can be passive but the better subs will use some form of voicecoil feedback or carefully programmed boost to get the bottom range. The more advanced circuitry to do servo type feedback will add to the cost.

The bottom line is that a 10" driver can do the job with the right design and with the understanding that the 10" driver with power wasting equalization will not produce the highest output. So it's all a tradeoff. I'd stick with at least a 12" driver and go with 15" if BOTH higher output and a flat response to 16Hz is the goal. I don't think the 15" driver is a requirement for normal organ volume in a residential space.

Hi John,
Who else besides Rythmik builds a servo sub-woofer?

T
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

engrssc

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 12:23 pm

jkinkennon

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 1:30 pm

organtechnology wrote:
Hi John,
Who else besides Rythmik builds a servo sub-woofer?

Not sure, Thomas. You could easily pay Rythmik Audio a visit as they are located in a suburb north of Austin. I had read of stability issues with the servo designs and it is likely that many manufacturers are favoring built in DSP with a response tailored to measurements of their subs frequency response. That's a lot easier now that the equalization doesn't require custom, complicated filtering.

Genesis and Velodyne come to mind for manufacturers but I don't keep up with current sub design.

scottherbert

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 1:54 pm

GR-research.com has 12 inch direct servo woofers for both open baffle and sealed enclosures. They come in 4, 8 an 16 Ohm models. They used to have an 8 incher as well, but it seems to be temporarily out of stock.

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

johnstump_organist

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 4:34 pm

Found this on the AVS forum:
There are several $1000.00 subs that will do 100db @ 16hz in a small bedroom...HSU VTF-15.2, PSA V1500, Rythmik FVx 15, RA Echo 15...take your pick.

I am very happy with my DefTech SuperCUbe II, no longer made, but the current equivalent is the SuperCube 4000.

John

RichardW

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 7:29 pm

johnstump_organist wrote:Found this on the AVS forum:
There are several $1000.00 subs that will do 100db @ 16hz in a small bedroom...HSU VTF-15.2, PSA V1500, Rythmik FVx 15, RA Echo 15...take your pick.

OK, but a chart of a similar speaker is shown in this review and a table of figures for the HSU VTF-15.2 is included below it. http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-re ... subwoofers

You can see that, from the table, the sub is down 3dBs at nearer to 31Hz. While you might get 16Hz out of it, it won't be flat down to that point. You really only need a sub for the fundamentals of the lowest octave of the 32' pipes - and that is the part where the HSU VTF-15.2 is rolling off. (Assuming you have some good 8" monitors for the upper frequencies.) Most subs I have seen are very similar. Whatever the marketing people say, you will be very lucky to get that last octave anywhere near flat.

Sorry, rant over. ;)

Regards,
Richard

dw154515

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 10:19 pm

RichardW wrote:
johnstump_organist wrote:Found this on the AVS forum:

OK, but a chart of a similar speaker is shown in this review and a table of figures for the HSU VTF-15.2 is included below it. http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-re ... subwoofers

You can see that, from the table, the sub is down 3dBs at nearer to 31Hz. While you might get 16Hz out of it, it won't be flat down to that point. You really only need a sub for the fundamentals of the lowest octave of the 32' pipes - and that is the part where the HSU VTF-15.2 is rolling off. (Assuming you have some good 8" monitors for the upper frequencies.) Most subs I have seen are very similar. Whatever the marketing people say, you will be very lucky to get that last octave anywhere near flat.

Sorry, rant over. ;)

Regards,

You're likely not going to find a sub capable of flat response to 16hz in the home market. Anything you read saying otherwise is being generous. Even the TubaHT - a behemoth 15" folded horn sub that I've built - rolls off around the mid 20s but even in a massive sanctuary it fills the place. Low frequency needs big spaces, anyway. So, in a home, you're not likely to get a true 16hz fundamental regardless.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html
Drew A. Worthen
Master of Music in Composition - Butler University
http://www.drewworthen.com
Director of Music & Website Admin - Greenwood UMC
http://www.greenwoodumc.org
Design Engineer - American Sound and Electronics - Indy
https://americansound.cc/

jkinkennon

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 10:23 pm

The Genesis and Velodyne pricing is prohibitive for most of us. We are talking $4000 and up for 15" servo subs. I built the Rythmik Audio enclosure from their plans and spent just $800 plus shipping for the servo amp and driver. The flat response down to subsonic frequencies is real, but it's hardly an absolute necessity to have this capability in order to enjoy great organ sound. The fully assembled F15HP is a sealed servo unit with free shipping within the continental U.S. at $1282. There may be comparable products available that I haven't run into from other manufacturers.

atugores

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 6:27 am

Thank you to all of you for you answers and opinions, I've seen different subwoofers by now, some have to inputs an two outputs for passive speakers and some have only one, but the think is, I want to use the subwoofer alone without speakers, so the question is ¿can I use one of those subs without speakers or I need a kind a special sub for tha?t, I read the Paramount organ recommended audio configuration and is clearly explained, but some persons that sale audio equipment in my city told me that if a use a sub without the passive speakers it would damage cause the sound above the high cut does not have a way out, it sounds to me very strange but I'm not a technical person so I don't know, can I request your opinions one more time ?, thank you.

scottherbert

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 8:10 am

Hello atugores, what they mean is that a subwoofer can only make the low sounds, very low sounds. If you want something to make the higher sounds you have to have it go to other speakers, like the ones you said you have with the 8 inch woofers. If the subwoofer has an "out" or output to another pair of speakers, it will cut off the sound at a certain frequency where it is too high for the subwoofer to do well and let the other speakers take over. I hope this helps make sense. :roll:

Another way is to just use a separate line for a subwoofer, and separate lines for your other speakers. The subwoofer then will play up to the point where you choose it to cut off (it will give you a "cut off point" on the back) and your other speakers will play where they play from.

I am thinking that the person you talked to did not understand that you had other speakers, and that is why he said the rest of the music would not get out.

~S
Last edited by scottherbert on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"
Next

Return to Amplification