It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:56 am

Subjectively - most authentic oboe, french horn etc samples?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

engrssc

Subjectively - most authentic oboe, french horn etc samples?

PostSun Oct 01, 2017 2:59 pm

Up against a competitor organ company which has very beautiful orchestral solo stops. Any suggestions for an equally good sample set?

Rgds,
Ed

notdefined

Re: Subjectively - most authentic oboe, french horn etc samp

PostSun Oct 01, 2017 9:11 pm

When you find out, please let me know.

1961TC4ME

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 1:53 pm

No french horn, but it has a very nice clarinette, oboe and tuba.

http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/organs/m ... organ.html

Marc

jharmon

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 4:31 pm

Either Marc or Ed have made reference at some distant point in the past about the Skinner French Horn on Mt. Carmel. This is the only French Horn I have encountered and frankly is a voice I wish I had on several of my sample sets. Whether used as a solo voice in the tenor range or as a supplemental accompanent stop I have always been partial to it. Wish it were on the Sonus Skinner.

telemanr

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 5:35 pm

I love the Mt Carmel French horn. Wish the new version was in the works but I’ve pretty much given up hoping.
Rob Enns

engrssc

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 7:45 pm

jharmon wrote:Whether used as a solo voice in the tenor range or as a supplemental accompanent stop I have always been partial to it. Wish it were on the Sonus Skinner.

For sure. Unfortunately, wishing won't make it happen. :cry:

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 9:03 pm

Seems the French horn is a Skinner deal and the stops in question seem to lend themselves more to an American instrument, but there's got to be something in the SP lineup that would work.

Goerlitz?

Marc
Last edited by 1961TC4ME on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

engrssc

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 9:12 pm

The issue (and there always is an issue) the main organist played the newest high end Rodgers and she fell in love with the oboe and French horn. And I have to admit, it really is a beautiful stop. There are some(symphonic) orchestral VST programs that come very close.

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 9:30 pm

Is this a new install someone is considering and they're weighing the options of Hauptwerk vs. Rogers? Yes there are always issues, but if I'm safe in assuming this is for a church, cost is ALWAYS an issue and is likely to end up being the #1 issue.

It's always big talk at first, but when the reality sets in, suddenly that oboe ain't so important afterall. :wink:

Marc

engrssc

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 11:16 pm

It's an existing H/W installation. True, cost is one issue when dealing with churches, but worse, are the people problems (committees, etc).. There's more than enough ego's out their to sink the ship. The "feedback" usually has words such as 'And I thought you said Hauptwerk could do everything'. That's their version (a paraphrase) of what I really said.

But a bucket of extra voices would be nice to have as an easy add-on to otherwise great sample sets.

Rgds,
Ed

Organorak

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 8:18 am

One of the composite Silver Octopus sets has a Solo French Horn though it's not specified from which organ it was sampled. Howerer many Silver Octopus stops were apparently from the Willis at St George's Hall Liverpool and if the French Horn is from that organ it would be worth looking at on those grounds alone.

Antoni Scott

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 7:36 am

Recently I watched a Youtube video of VP Barry Holben of Allen Organs demonstrate their new GeniSys addition to their organs. He performed a relatively simple Christmas Carol where he inserted certain sounds from the GeniSys option such as a Flute, Horn of some type, etc. The level of realism of these instruments was stunning, so much so in fact that it made me question how far we want this realism to go before it doesn't even sound like an organ. Does the organist really want to play a keyboard that doesn't sound like an organ at all but an orchestra instead ?

So I was thinking about the evolution of realism of imitative orchestral sounds engraved on organ stop tabs such as the Orchestral Oboe, the Trumpet, Horn (rather a generic term), Piccolo, Clarinet, etc. When pipe organ builders began introducing stops that they intended were to imitate the real instrument I assume that they wished it to be as authentic as possible to the original. Listeners could criticize the level of authenticity. Skinner's French Horn was quite good but not EXACTLY like a French Horn. As good as these sounds were they all sounded like they came from a pipe organ,

Electronic organ builders, throughout their evolution, have attempted to imitate the pipe organ along with the imitative orchestral stops, to varying degrees of success. It was considered successful enough to have been able to just imitate a pipe organs imitation of an orchestral stop, not the actual instrument itself. Now we have an example (GeniSys) of an electronic organ being able to imitate the actual orchestral instrument with a large degree of realism. Quite remarkable.

My own opinion is that I do not want to play an organ (pipe or electronic) that sounds like an orchestra since the organ creates an impression that is different from that of an orchestra. The Wanamaker String Division, as lovely as it is, to me is only string-like.

On the next step of possibly being unreasonably critical, if Allen can imitate an orchestral instrument with such realism, then I would assume the technology is available to faithfully reproduce the pipe organ so that the listener cannot tell the difference. Why then, can we (or at least myself) tell the difference ?
Just a thought.
Antoni

scottherbert

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 10:30 am

I would have to agree with Antoni. Let organs be organs, and save symphonic instruments for synthesizers.

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

deftech

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 10:51 am

Good morning,

I purchased the FCCLA Skinner sample set and have been very happy with the many solo voices in it. I think there is an oboe, French horn, and clarinet in the demo you could try.

engrssc

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 3:07 am

As some may know, as time permits, I am reading about the life and accomplishments of E M Skinner. His genius and creativeness was always toward making organ pipes to imitate that of real orchestral instruments. He went to opera performances, for instance, to hear what live orchestral instruments really sounded like His instruments reflected that intense desire. He would spend great amounts of time in that quest with much success.

He greatly detested the sounds of overblown theatre pipe organs because they didn't sound like the orchestral instruments these theatre organs were supposed replace. As a result his firm built very few theatre instruments even tho, at the time, E M Skinner was probably the foremost organ builder in the country.

Rgds,
Ed
Next

Return to General discussion