It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:00 am

Subwoofer

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

atugores

Re: Subwoofer

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 9:04 am

thank you scottherbert, this make sense, but this other 8" speakers I have I use them with another amplifier to play the swell only so I can not put it together with the sub I guess, if I play the pedal it will not sound (unless I direct de swell and the pedal together), I need to know if the sub can sound alone by it self, without passive speakers.

johnstump_organist

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 9:43 am

The Thing about damaging the woofer if you don't have the higher range speakers attached is pure salesman horse manure to try to sell you more. Many of us use subs with a mix down to cover the low end of all the other stops in the other channels, it is not like water into a balloon, it is just an electrical signal that will die if it doesn't go anywhere. I have used mine for almost 10 years now with nothing else attached and it hasn't exploded yet, although we've had two huge earthquakes in two weeks - maybe it was the unreleased energy from my sub. (Joking about it helps relieve some of the tension of the tragetragedies we have seen around us here).
John

johnstump_organist

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 10:07 am

If you are playing all the stops through the 4 other speakers in some sort of multi-channel setup, all you have to do is setup an aux mix-down and send all channels there and then send the output from the aux mix-down to the sub. If you want to establish new channels just for pedal stops, then yes you need to attach upper range speakers to the sub, but it isn't necessary. The sub will not reproduce all the upper ptiches and harmonics of the pedal stops only the fundamental and possibly the first two or three harmonics. But you can some of your existing channels to send pedal stops to and use the aux mix-down route to re-enforce the fundamental. Many of us do it that way.
John

atugores

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 10:17 am

I have things more clear now thanks to your good explanations, I will try all this, thank you.

scottherbert

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 3:23 pm

If you want to run a separate channel for the pedals alone, just look for a subwoofer that has an "line out" connection for speakers, that way you can run that line to the subwoofer, and it will play the lows and send everything else to the other speakers. If you don't have an amplifier for them, you could get either a small amplifier just for them, or amplified (powered) speakers.

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

atugores

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 3:41 am

Thanks scottherbert but I did not understand this, a channel for the pedals, then send the pedal stops from HW to this channel and to the subwoofer, up to here is clear but from here I am lost, what to do with the line out of the subwoofer, where to send this line ? To the speakers or to an amplifier for that other speakers, usually the signal coming out from a Sub it is already amplified (active not passive ), sorry I am lost.

scottherbert

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 9:11 am

Since most subwoofers already have their own amplifiers, the signal to it does not have to be amplified, or it can be if that is all you have. I know this sounds confusing, sorry. If you can do a signal from your interface directly, before it goes to your amplifier, then it's OK, but you would need powered speakers to pick up the higher notes. If you don't have powered speakers, the line out of the subwoofer could go to a small amplifier, and then to the speakers. If you have to make the signal come from your main amplifier, then it just goes to the subwoofer, and the speakers will get the power. I have done this last one, it does work.

I know this can be hard to understand the first time, but if I didn't explain it well enough I will try again my friend!

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

Owen Jones

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 11:10 am

I have built several types sub woofers and all have their own characteristics. 6thorder bandpass; House Wrecker and several other models
The latest and the most successful unit is an 18" transmission line sub, and now one can feel the low notes in one's chest, just as if real pipes were installed in the studio.

Plans are here;

http://theatreorgans.com/owenjones/audioblog.html

Depending on the size of your room/studio, this unit would be an excellent addition to your VTPO setup.
This unit is very heavy, so I would suggest installing wheels on the cabinet.
It is powered by a 180 watt amplifier installed on the back of the cabinet.

All the best

Owen
Previous

Return to Amplification