It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:18 am

How To

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

organtechnology

Re: How To

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 1:54 pm

Hello all,

It is my understanding that the Apple computer ethernet port can go direct to an AVB device such as a 24Ao AVB without going through TBolt or USB first. If you are using a non-Apple PC then there must be a USB connection to a MOTU AVB box at the console and then CAT5e to the next AVB box for two total or to the MOTU AVB switch which will allow up to four AVB connections. Additional switches can be added to grow the system to many computers, switches and AVB channels. Perhaps as many as 512 channels IN and Out.

We had good success with an 8-channel AVB via a PC USB and then on to a 24Ao remotely for a total of 32 channels, not all of which are used at the this time.

Audio over Ethernet is really cool.

Best regards,

Thomas

mdyde wrote:Hello Doug,

I would recommend connecting the (first) AVB audio interface to the computer using Thunderbolt (if your computer supports it), otherwise USB. Either should be ample for performance. You can then use AVB to connect the first AVB audio interface to any other AVB interfaces that you may wish to add.

Here are some relevant topics:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16127
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16279
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

mdyde

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 2:05 pm

organtechnology wrote:It is my understanding that the Apple computer ethernet port can go direct to an AVB device such as a 24Ao AVB without going through TBolt or USB first.

That is indeed true, but performance (especially latency) is supposed to be a bit better if connecting via Thunderbolt or USB, so the only real reason to connect directly to the computer via AVB would be if you wanted (all of) the audio interface(s) to be a very long way from the computer.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

murph

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Anyone I know who has tried the apple NIC connection has reported horror stories in live situations. It's fine for home, but not with an audience!

organtechnology

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 5:20 pm

murph wrote:Anyone I know who has tried the apple NIC connection has reported horror stories in live situations. It's fine for home, but not with an audience!

Could you please 'point me' at some of these horror stories, in order to read about them?

Thanks,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.
Previous

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing