It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:09 am

Is this a good idea for an organ project?

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

Jon Liinason

Is this a good idea for an organ project?

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 4:19 am

Hi,

I would dearly appreciate some input from pipe organ lovers and connaisseurs such as You on this project I have iniated, called "TWELVE BY TWELVE - 12 fugues and preludes from J. S. Bachs WTC in 12 churches in 12 different keys".

It all started out when I read a book depicting some 200 spiritual rooms (mostly churches, but also mosques and synaogogues) in Gothenburg, SWEDEN, where I live.

The organs in the photographs where really dominating visual elements but stood so quietly in the book, so I decided to try to remedy this by initiating a grand organ tour of Gothenburg, exploring (in this first stage 12 of them, later on hopefully 48, inviting guest organists from all over Gothenburg to play the complete set together) playing the organs, and uploading them for all to hear on YouTube).

I have now reached half point, and this is the resulting playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... vWZbfoshXe

Now my question: What can You make of the project so far?

What benefits do You think it might bring?

What possibilities lie ahead?

And most importantly, what would You improve, now that there is ample time with the coming 6 video clips to do this better?

Thanks for letting me ask, and looking forward to Your replies!

Best regards,
Jon Liinason

Tweedle_Dee

Re: Is this a good idea for an organ project?

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 1:53 am

I've enjoyed watching your videos. I like your camera work and the map at the beginning to give us a sense of where this is. I also like watching you drive up on your Vespa :) However, I can't help but feel like we're missing out on hearing the pedal division. I subscribed and look forward to watching the rest of your series. Thanks!

Jon Liinason

Re: Is this a good idea for an organ project?

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 2:02 am

Thanks for watching and subscribing. So glad You like the series! :)

Your comment on pedals is relevant. I might just add more pedal, even though it is not in the score for the WTC, in future clips, thanks for remarking.

I feel strongly that we need to expand and interpret and improvise more, in order to keep the interest up.

I would like to recommend Robert Levins excellent version for the complete WTC playing not only the organ, but also the clavichord, the harpsichord and the fortepiano. Wonderful! https://open.spotify.com/user/jonliinas ... cZhzblBqCF

He is also my favourite improviser of baroque style music. Endlessly impressed by him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkFdAigjmLA

So: in what way do you think I should expand content for the upcoming 48 x 48 series?

Should I include an interview with the 48 organists in the clip? Should I ask them to improvise a short little somthing before starting their piece? Should I ask them to add pedal parts to the score?

Anything else that needs to be there, for the series to become universally attractive?

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Best regards,
Jon

Return to Performance practice