It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 pm

Error loading any organ

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

Penrhos1920

Error loading any organ

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 8:47 am

I've really enjoyed playing the Cavaille Coll composite on my old PC. So I've installed it on my new PC but every time I load it I get the error message " Could not load an image file from the sample set data cache..... Code 4403". I then reload the sample set from scratch as instructed and it loads and plays.

What's happening? How do I get this organ to load properly first time?
Last edited by Penrhos1920 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chr.schmitz

Re: Error loading Cavaille Coll composite organ

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 10:03 am

Are you sure that you installed all sample sets properly, which are required for the composite sample set?

Penrhos1920

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 11:12 am

I'm certain. Because when does load from scratch everything plays and looks like my old pc

chr.schmitz

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 12:10 pm

Now I got your point! The cache is built correctly, but then it cannot be read again. Indeed, that's weird! A file rights issue? Sorry, I have no smart idea.

Chris

mdyde

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 1:09 pm

Hello Penrhos1920,

The only things that I can think of that might give that effect are:

- If some other organ definition that you were also using incorrectly had the same OrganID in its organ definition. The two might then conflict, so that when you switched from one to the other the cache would have been created with the other one, and not valid for the this one. (However, that shouldn't be possible, since if the organ definition has a different name then Hauptwerk should automatically and silently regenerate the cache anyway, to try to prevent that problem.)

- If the cache file was becoming corrupted somehow on disk (e.g. perhaps due to a drive fault, or a virus scanner over-zealously changing it, or preventing it being written).

- Similarly, a RAM board fault causing the cache file to be corrupted, either as it was written, or as it was read.

- If you had somehow managed to launch, and were controlling, two instances of Hauptwerk simultaneously. Hauptwerk tries to prevent a second instance from being launched, but if you've set Windows to launch Hauptwerk automatically twice as the PC boots then the first instance might not be quick enough to prevent the second instance launching. Having two instances running will result in conflict, with each instance corrupting the files of the others.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Penrhos1920

Re: Error loading any organ

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 2:12 pm

This fault is now appearing for other organs I previously had running including St Annes. It is possible that that they had previously, I just hadn't played them.

I have run Memtest with no errors and added extra ram to the laptop. Guess I'm going to have to reinstall??

mdyde

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Hello Penrhos1920,

(Whilst we don't officially provide support for the Free Edition), my brief suggestions would be:

- Make sure the latest version of your motherboard's BIOS is installed, checking on its maker's website.

- Make sure that all available Windows updates are installed.

- Also make sure that the latest versions of drivers are installed for all of your hardware, checking on the relevant manufacturers' websites.

- Scan your drive thoroughly for errors.

- Try temporarily completely disabling any virus scanner software you might have installed. (Make sure you're disconnected from the Internet first, for security.)

- Then re-install Hauptwerk and the relevant sample sets (keeping the virus scanner disabled).

- See whether it now works properly.

- If so, try re-enabling the virus scanner, and see whether it stays working properly.
Best regards, Martin.

evertjan

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 4:25 pm

I think it's your hard disc
You can do an error scan with HD Tune http://www.hdtune.com/download.html
The second one on that webpage (HD Tune) is free for personal use.

After downloading start the program (no installation needed) and go the the tab "error scan"
On the tab "Health" you can read the S.M.A.R.T. info of the disc

Remark: you cannot test a SSD with this program!!

Penrhos1920

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 10:43 am

Well I've eventually managed to do all of that and it worked for a little bit but now the same error is back. Only worse this time as I get a windows exception error C000005. Time to give up

evertjan

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 12:04 pm

That a PC problem and not a Hauptwerk problem.

See https://compfreakstars.blogspot.nl/2011/11/0xc0000005-error-every-day-many.html for possible solutions.

mdyde

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 12:14 pm

Hello Penrhos1920,

Do you definitely have the current version of Hauptwerk installed (v4.2.1)? (You can check using 'Help | About Hauptwerk' within Hauptwerk.) If not, please download and install the current version, which is always available on our main downloads page here: http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/ . (Make sure you exit Hauptwerk itself before running the installer.)

Assuming that doesn't solve it:

Does Windows launch Hauptwerk automatically when the PC boots?

A likely possibility could be that your selected audio driver, or an enabled MIDI driver is crashing when Hauptwerk asks it to start. (If a driver that an application, such as Hauptwerk, is using crashes then it will almost inevitably crash the application too indirectly.) Can I ask whether you're evaluating Hauptwerk with a view to buying a licence in the reasonably near future? If so, if you'd like to use 'Help | Create a diagnostic a file' and send the resulting file to us: http://www.hauptwerk.com/forms/support/ ... then we could have a look to see whether it gives any clues (for example whether the crashes occur after a particular audio or MIDI device attempts to start). (However, please note we might not be able to respond straight away, due to Christmas.)
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)