It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am

Adding ram over time question

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

montyjnc

Adding ram over time question

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Hello,

Recently, I have been building a new computer, and I was wondering about how much ram to purchase. I have an X99 mobo and i7 5820k, so I eventually hope to have 128gb. Is it a bad idea to buy the ram.over time in 32 gb chunks (16gbx2 ddr4)? Someone mentioned something to me about ram being matched when it's made, and that I should buy it all at once, so the ram is "matched"? I was hoping to start with 16gbx4 and then add the next 4 sticks as needed.

mdyde

Re: Adding ram over time question

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 3:58 am

My personal inclination would be to buy the full amount of RAM initially if feasible, for good measure, so as to be absolutely certain that it's fully matched (in case the same make/model/specification of RAM board isn't readily available later). However, if you were very careful about ensuring that memory boards were exactly matched in the specific slots that the motherboard's user guide requires (or globally, for good measure, in case the motherboard doesn't handle different specifications/latencies on different sets of slots reliably) then it should theoretically be fine to add some later. Check the motherboard's user guide carefully.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

magnaton

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 7:27 am

I assembled my own i5 HW computer. When it came time to bump up the memory about a year and a half later, I made sure to purchase the exact same RAM spec and even the same brand to ensure compatibility. I guess I was fortunate that my original RAM was a popular brand name and spec (Patriot/1600/DDR3) which is readily available.

Danny B.

montyjnc

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 12:03 pm

My issue is 128gb of ddr4 costs about 1200$.. and if i buy that i wont have any money left to buy a sample set

mdyde

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 12:13 pm

Very understandable!
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

josq

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 12:23 pm

128GB is for people who have no cost limitation, to be able to load the largest sample sets in the very highest quality.
64GB is for people who want to be reasonably up to date with the largest sample sets
32GB is for standard users, who are willing to accept some compromises regarding the largest sample sets
16GB is still sufficient for a majority of sample sets, but quite limiting regarding several high quality releases from the last years.

jkinkennon

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 12:40 pm

Purchase the 64GB now -- I think that is what you are planning. While we will likely see the need for 128GB sometime in the future that wont be right away. Add the next 32GB when possible, ideally with an exact part# match. That gives 96GB which will likely be sufficient for the five year life (plus or minus) of the computer. Right now I'm not aware of a sample set that cannot fit within 64GB with small adjustments. I have all 6 channels of Goerlitz at 24-bit using a bit more than 70GB.

Return to Computer hardware / specs