It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 am

External Touch-Screen for MacBookPro?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

MikeOfBonsall

External Touch-Screen for MacBookPro?

PostSun Dec 11, 2016 12:30 am

Looking for recommendations or user experience. Thanks
Regards,

Mike Stevens, Bonsall California
Console: Allen TC-1. Two manuals, AGO pedalboard, 34 thumb pistons, 4 toe pistons. Midi cards from DTS. Amplification Krell KSA250 stereo, Speakers B&W 801 Series3. Favorite Sample Set Grafthorst-027 (Bad Ass SubBas16)

chr.schmitz

Re: External Touch-Screen for MacBookPro?

PostSun Dec 11, 2016 4:46 am

Although officially not supported by Apple, one touch screen (Acer T232HL) worked even withouth any additional driver. However, the second Acer T232HL required the installation of a driver, as the system could not distinguish, which monitor was touched.

The combination of two Acer T232HL with Touch-Base driver are now working for more than one year pretty well (with OS X El Capitan and macOS Sierra).

MikeOfBonsall

PostTue Dec 13, 2016 5:39 pm

Because of the lack of choice for touch screens for Mac does that mean a Windows system is prefered?
Regards,

Mike Stevens, Bonsall California
Console: Allen TC-1. Two manuals, AGO pedalboard, 34 thumb pistons, 4 toe pistons. Midi cards from DTS. Amplification Krell KSA250 stereo, Speakers B&W 801 Series3. Favorite Sample Set Grafthorst-027 (Bad Ass SubBas16)

chr.schmitz

PostTue Dec 13, 2016 6:12 pm

Questions like these generally start a religious war :wink:

I think that there are many reasons for the one or the other platform. But I would argue, that the missing native touch screen support is no reason not to use a Mac. The good thing is that HW leaves you the choice :D

johnsf

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 3:13 pm

I'm just putting together my first Hauptwerk setup. I have a Mac Mini with OS 10.12 and just got a Dell P2415HT 24" touchscreen monitor. There is a very positive review on Amazon from someone using it with his Macbook Pro with the Touch-base drivers. I downloaded the trial Touch-base driver for this model monitor (the license costs $175 currently, so I wanted to be sure before purchasing), and it kind of works, but the cursor appears down and to the right of where I put my finger, and this gets worse the farther down and to the right I go. I sent a couple of emails to Touch-base technical support, but so far haven't heard back. The Amazon reviewer did say that their customer service is excellent and they are responsive to questions.
I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with Touch-base or where best to direct my emails, as this seems to be my best hope to get this monitor to work.
The monitor, by the way, is very nice, a good size if you have a one-monitor setup. If I have to I'll send it back and get the Acer T232HL which seems to have worked for other Mac users on this forum, but I'd rather keep what I have if possible.
Thanks in advance for any info!

chr.schmitz

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 3:17 pm

Do you really need the Touch-Base driver? I have 2 Acer screens. As long as I connect only one screen, I do not need a driver at all. It works out of the box (although officially not supported by Apple). As soon as I add the 2nd screen, I have to use the Touch-Base driver, as the system cannot distinguish between the 2 screens.

Dnsmo

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Like johnsf, I'm also putting together my first Hauptwerk setup. As part of this conversation, I'd like to hear more replies from touch screen users, as originally sought by MikeOfBonsall.

What brands are being used? (I know of Acer, Keytec, and Planar.)

How about using an iPad? I'd love to use two with my iMac. Any reports on how easily an iPad can be integrated with HW?
Dennis

magnaton

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 10:32 pm

Dnsmo wrote:How about using an iPad? I'd love to use two with my iMac. Any reports on how easily an iPad can be integrated with HW?

Check out the TouchOSC utility that allows you to build active, touch enabled objects for an iPad. You can to do a Google search for it or search the HW forum.
Here is one thread:
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15462

Danny B.

jharmon

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 6:43 pm

F0llow the advice of Chr. Schmitz. A touchscreen should not be the basis for selecting an operation system. I have used a Mac pro with an Elo touchscreen since 2009 with absolutely no problems. The Elo did requre a "special" driver for the Mac - but Elo tech support provided it upon request.

Dnsmo

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 11:05 pm

A few questions for you, hjarmon.

Which size Elo are you using? Did you buy yours new or used? Was it a previously-owned commercial unit? Did you build your monitor into a cabinet, or is it detached? Would it be possible to integrate two Elos into your setup if you elected to?

I recall reading that Elos are high-quality units that are used in industrial applications and the medical sector.
Dennis

johnsf

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 2:08 pm

I requested a trial of V6 from touch base for my Dell P2418HT, but if that doesn’t work I may just return the monitor. It sounds like the Acer T232HL might work without drivers but I just wanted to see if that was with Mac OS X high Sierra (I have v 10.12). I’d only be using 1 monitor. The Elo sounds nice too but maybe best for a two monitor setup which would require Hauptwerk Advanced version, right?

mdyde

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 2:17 pm

johnsf wrote:The Elo sounds nice too but maybe best for a two monitor setup which would require Hauptwerk Advanced version, right?

Hello John,

Correct -- using more than one monitor for Hauptwerk does require the Advanced Edition.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Grant_Youngman

PostSat Oct 28, 2017 12:42 pm

johnsf wrote: I downloaded the trial Touch-base driver for this model monitor (the license costs $175 currently, so I wanted to be sure before purchasing), and it kind of works, but the cursor appears down and to the right of where I put my finger, and this gets worse the farther down and to the right I go.

Did you use the calibration routines in the driver ??
Grant

johnsf

PostSat Oct 28, 2017 12:58 pm

Update: My Dell P2418HT touchscreen monitor is now working perfectly. I took a different route through the Touch-base website: "support" midway down on the left menu, then "device search page" at the bottom of the list on that page. You can then look up your monitor and see if they support it. Mine was listed, but it said not supported, and I could fill out some info for them to email me a driver that might work.
In less than a day I got an email from Dave Bhattacharjee at Touch-base with a link to a V6 trial driver that might work with my monitor. It didn't work until I ran the Touch-base calibration utility, but I've had no problems since then. Everything works great and it loads automatically if the computer has been shut down.
I think some people mentioned using iPads, and I did try that, with the Duet app, but for me it wasn't very reliable--sometimes you would have to hit the screen a couple of times for the cursor to reposition itself and there was sometimes a delay in responding to your touch. I have a big iPad, but I found it a bit small for single monitor operation.
Anyway the big monitor works a lot better, and I'm very glad I didn't have to return it!

johnsf

PostSat Oct 28, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi Grant,
Sorry, just saw your posting. Yes, with the version I got emailed by the robot for my monitor when I went through the "downloads" section of the site, I used the calibration utility, but only the top left left test circle worked, as it was positioning me off the screen when I tried to hit the circle in the lower left, so it would always just time out at that point. Also when I would pull up my Dell monitor through the "downloads" section, it would put a red hyperlink right underneath which led to some version of V6 which didn't work at all. It seems like you have to go through the "support" section and get the personal email for my monitor to work with OS Sierra.
Next

Return to Computer hardware / specs