It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:31 am

Tr ouble-shooting audio

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

GrahamH

Tr ouble-shooting audio

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 4:22 am

I am currently trying to do long-distance trouble-shooting of a Hauptwerk set-up that was working OK but has suddenly gone silent.
When you load an organ and use the mouse to play the on-screen keyboards and select stops, there is no sound.
Ostensibly Hauptwerk is configured correctly - we've gone through the process from scratch.
Hauptwerk sees the audio interface, and the correct (ASIO) Audio output devices are selected, so it seems like a purely audio issue - maybe a failed component on the sound card, or an issue with the sound card's drivers or software, or even cables in the wrong sockets (despite repeated assurances that they are correct).
I'm now psyching myself up to make the (2 hours plus) journey to investigate and maybe replace the audio interface (the dreaded E-MU 1212M with its esoteric PatchMix software), but in the meantime something is puzzling me:
With an organ loaded and the Large floating control panel for Audio, MIDI and performance open, and with all the stops drawn and the Trim dB increased to +15 dB, the Audio level indicator "LED's" do not show any activity when you "play" the on-screen organ.
Is this to be expected or does it indicate that something is amiss prior to the audio interface?
I ask this because, doing the same test on my laptop, the floating panel audio level indicators light up, even if I've select Audio output devices ="none".

Thank you for any advice
Graham

mdyde

Re: Tr ouble-shooting audio

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 4:45 am

Hello Graham,

If the selected audio device/driver isn't actually working (specifically, if it isn't calling Hauptwerk to request the chunks of audio data) then Hauptwerk's level meter would stay at zero (since Hauptwerk would never actually be given the opportunity to produce any audio). A faulty audio interface or driver could cause that, as perhaps could having the audio interface's clock source set to an external device that's non-existent or disconnected.

The only other possibility would that all of the ranks had been disabled on the 'Organ | Load organ, adjusting rank audio/memory options/routing' screen (in which case no sound would be produced, of course).

Good luck with the trip, if it turns out to be needed!
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

GrahamH

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 6:45 am

Thanks, Martin

It looks like I'll be in postcode B63 again within the next few days - with a USB audio interface in my box of tricks!

Best regards
Graham

mdyde

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 6:48 am

Thanks, Graham.

You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

GrahamH

Re: Trouble-shooting audio - problem solved

PostSat Nov 04, 2017 2:54 pm

The journey won't be necessary after all, I'm happy to report :D
I was all geared-up to make the trip tomorrow, when I had a phone call a short while ago.
It turns out that the amplifier leads were plugged into the sound card's audio-in sockets after all!

All's well that ends well.

Graham

mdyde

PostSat Nov 04, 2017 2:59 pm

Thanks, Graham.

Excellent!
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support