It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 am

Rank.MIDINoteNumberOfFirstPipe

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

chr.schmitz

Rank.MIDINoteNumberOfFirstPipe

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 5:55 pm

Is it possible to set the parameter Rank.MIDINoteNumberOfFirstPipe to less than 36, if the rank is enclosed?

If a do so, I get the following error message:

Enclosure ID 000220 has pipe ID 004127 listed as an invalid element - neither of the maximum frequencies can be equal to the frequency of its corresponding minimum.

Message code (for diagnostic purposes): 3151

I have the impression that enclosed ranks have to have MIDI numbers between 36 and 96. I experimented with the parameters Division.NumberOfKeyActionNodesIfDifferentFromNumberOfKeys and Division.MIDINoteNumOfFirstKeyActionNodeIfDifferentFromFirstKey, but this did not solve my issue.

The unenclosed rank behaves as expected.

Best, Chris

mdyde

Re: Rank.MIDINoteNumberOfFirstPipe

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 4:33 am

Hello Chris,

There's no problem with an enclosed rank having a compass beyond 36-96 (in either or both directions) per-se.

The problem will be your Rank.Encl_... values. This post has the details:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6467&p=45201#p45248
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

chr.schmitz

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 6:39 am

Hello Martin,

sorry that I did not find this post.

With your advice, it worked wonderfully :D The more I dive into the secrets of HW programming the more I admire what options you have implemented over time!

Wouldn't it be wise to set the default of the 2 required parameters to 36 and 96, if these values are left empty?

Thanks a lot for your fantastic support!
Chris

mdyde

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 8:03 am

Thanks, Chris.

chr.schmitz wrote:Wouldn't it be wise to set the default of the 2 required parameters to 36 and 96, if these values are left empty?

Which two parameters are you referring to specifically? Do you mean you left them entirely blank, or set them to zero?
Best regards, Martin.

chr.schmitz

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 11:10 am

Hello Martin,

Sorry, I misunderstood your advice. But I got it now. And I finally understand, why these issues occur only if the compass of a division is extended at the lower end.

I solved my issue (wrongly) by setting Rank.Encl_MIDINoteNumOfFirstEnclosedPipeIfWholeRankNotEnclosed to 36 and Rank.Encl_MIDINoteNumOfLastEnclosedPipeIfWholeRankNotEnclosed to 96. This removes the error message, but leaves a couple of notes unenclosed.

I have to admit that I still do not fully understand how to calculate the Encl_... parameters from recordings (swell box open and closed). Anyhow, I currently customize these parameters mainly by try and error (or copy and paste from your demo CODMs).

Thanks for your patience!

All the best,
Chris

mdyde

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks, Chris.

You're welcome.

chr.schmitz wrote:I have to admit that I still do not fully understand how to calculate the Encl_... parameters from recordings (swell box open and closed). Anyhow, I currently customize these parameters mainly by try and error (or copy and paste from your demo CODMs).

It isn't a precise science. I'd broadly recommend comparing FFT plots of the closed and open pipes, roughly subtracting the frequency responses, then choosing filter parameters that give a very rough approximation of the overall shape, but just setting them by ear could be very effective instead.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)