It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 pm

Change the placement of the console

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

atugores

Change the placement of the console

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 1:50 pm

Hello to all of you, I'm in the way to change the placement of my organ console with respect to the position of my computer, so I need to enlarge some cables to more or less 8 to 10 meters, the HDMI to connect a second screen placed to 10 meters away I know how to do it (a HDMI cable 10 meters long or via ethernet ), the sound card to the computer con be connected via ethernet, but the problem comes up when I want to connect the m-audio midi sport with a USB cable to the computer needed for the midi signals.
Does any one of you know how to do that (I read the USB maximum length is 5 meters), I will appreciate any suggestions about this, thank you in advance.

Grant_Youngman

Re: Change the placement of the console

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 2:27 pm

You can always try a longer USB extension cable and see if it causes any problems. It may not. If it does, there are active USB extension cables, powered via the PC's USB ports, which work fine and aren't expensive. They run in lengths of about 15 meters or more, but the longer the length, the more expensive they tend to be.

I used active firewire extension cables to reach my audio interface at one time. Worked great.
Grant

jkinkennon

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 9:06 pm

Here's the active USB cable I am using.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2HP3A2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works fine from my PC to my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20.

IainStinson

PostSat Dec 02, 2017 8:47 am

Have you considered using longer midi cables from the console to the midi sport? You can buy midi extension cables. This would assume you take the midi sport out of the console and place it near the computer. I think the recommended maximum length is 50ft (15.2m).

Iain

PCM

PostSat Dec 02, 2017 2:39 pm

You can also send midi via the RS 485 protocol. Then distances up to 3000 meters are possible!

atugores

PostSun Dec 03, 2017 7:35 am

Thank you to everybody I will try those cables, about RS485 I think is quite bit complicated and not for a amateur like me, but I will look after this also, thanks.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing