It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:39 pm

Aquincum Organ from Cathedral of Savaria (54/3+P) - new

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

jkinkennon

Re: Aquincum Organ from Cathedral of Savaria (54/3+P) - new

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 3:19 pm

Now that I've had a few hours to enjoy the full sample set I think that in my living room, on my surround setup, this is the finest most natural acoustic I've heard straight out of the box with no "fiddling" with settings. The sound is as realistic as I've heard from a virtual organ. Plenty of strings for me and a clarinet that is awesome. I like that for the most part there is no level increase at the bottom of the pedal ranks for the most part as that is one of my pet peeves. All in all a remarkable sound and a bargain as well.

scottherbert

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 5:59 pm

This organ is, without doubt, the finest set to come from Augustine Virtual Organs! Augustine has a history of producing very fine sample sets, and I am a great fan, but this is the greatest yet. It has splendour, delicacy, finesse, and best of all clarity! In spite of a generous acoustic (that lets me feel like I AM in the cathedral), it is clear enough to hear ALL the notes for practice! I know many like dry sets for practice, but I always practiced in churches, so I am used to reverberation, and actually prefer it as long as the instrument can be clearly heard. This one can.

As others have said before me, this set definitely is in a league with the large sample set producers in quality, but at a bargain price. I would encourage you to support Augustine's efforts to bring us these gems that we wouldn't have otherwise!

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

scottherbert

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 12:12 am

I just wanted to post an update. I have had the pleasure of playing this organ for a little while now, and it continues to impress me with its outstanding quality!!! This is a gem capable of playing a wide variety of genres with wonderous results. Hard core Baroque enthusiasts may feel it is lacking, but it does work for the genre well if you are flexible. :D Romantic literature excels here!

The sampling is outrageously good! The ambience is clear, but not cloying. I like that since it gives me the sense of being in the cathedral itself. I do not use added reverb. The surround version allows you to vary your position to close if you wish. The reeds are a delight, clear, bombastic and vivid!

This set is a real winner. If you want to give yourself a Christmas gift this year, consider the Savaria. You won't be disappointed.

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

Lougheed

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 8:51 pm

After that review, I now have to check out the demo.

Thanks for posting!

takatsa

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 2:20 pm

magnaton wrote:WOW! This set just jumped into the top position of my sample set wish list.
http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/playmusic/26934
Danny B

Thank you Danny, I really enjoy the praise.:))
But praise is mainly to Franz Liszt, secondly to Istvan Nagy, who plays the piece brilliantly.
Augustine
Previous

Return to Hauptwerk instruments