It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

Please help identify this sample set

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

kiaya611

Please help identify this sample set

PostSun Dec 03, 2017 11:54 pm

Hello,
I heard this improvisational transcription of a Beatles melody. I particularly like the Cornet between 2:51-3:23 and the Holtzgedeckt(?) between 3:23-4:24. I would love to know what sample set this is being used.
Thank you, Steven https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFvzrfB0JE

deebos

Re: Please help identify this sample set

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 8:11 am

Kampen ..from first sentence (in Dutch )..most likely.

josq

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 8:19 am

Not necessarily Kampen. Jan Vayne's Hauptwerk console is/was located in a small chapel in Kampen, but I don't know if he here uses the sample set from the Bovenkerk main organ in the same town. I'll try to listen and identify later today.

deebos

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 8:25 am

Thanks for clarifying.

josq

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 12:38 pm

I am not completely sure, but I think it is the often forgotten sample set of the Formentelli "Dom Bedos" organ in Rieti, Italy.
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/organs/m ... model.html

scottherbert

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 4:09 pm

I am leaning towards the Dom Bedos as well josq.

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

deebos

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 7:15 pm

Steven Scott Is there any way to find out what sample set was used in one of their videos? I watched a video of Jan Vayne who seems to play in a number if their "demos". I shared a piece that he played, an improvisational transcription of a Beatles medley and par...See More

Jan Vayne speelt improvisatie op…
Het is ijskoud in de kapel te…
YOUTUBE.COM
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 19 hrs
Remove
Theo Jager
Theo Jager As far as I know it's the big Marcussen organ in the Laurenskerk in Rotterdam (http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/.../rotterdam-laurenskerk...).
See also the discussion (in Dutch) here (with pre-last note):
http://www.pcorgel.nl/viewtopic.php?t=860. ..from Facebook item

Eric Sagmuller

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 8:02 pm

I have the Bovenkerk sample set and it sounds like that to me, although seems more clear and translucent than what I have. Here is the text translated from under the video. Apparently he is talking about his own organ in a chapel, so we still don't know which sample set.

"It is freezing cold in the chapel in Kampen. Jan is constantly warming his hands. Jan wants to play an improvisation of the Beatles alongside traditional organ music. The author is curious how that sounds. With a lot of verve Jan plays a beautiful compilation of several songs on his Hauptwerk organ in combination with his Cathedral audio series, arranged in the chapel. The actual sound reproduction is limited by the recording and your audio. But I can assure you that this sounds really beautiful. The improvisation skills of Jan in combination with his organ make this compilation unique. And do you like traditional organ music? Listen to "stay with me Lord", also available on youtube or www.vayneaudio.com"

Grant_Youngman

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 9:28 pm

On some of his other videos where you can see the screen over the console, the Zwolle appears to be the sample set loaded.
Grant

josq

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 3:08 am

Here are a few clues why it must be the Dom Bedos model:

* The date the video is posted (end 2012). This eliminates a lot of new sample sets.
* The chamade. This eliminates organs like Zwolle and Kampen
* The cornet on the upper manual. This eliminates Rotterdam
* and the best clue: the characteristic chiff of the flute(s). The chiff is really the "trademark" of the Dom Bedos model.

The most striking feature is the voicing of the flue pipes: the timbre is dominated by an extraordinary expressive chiff and also the steady portion of the tone is pushed on the edge of the pipe speech stability with rather strong presence of the hiss of air passing through the pipe mouth - all this contributing to the unusually light and harmonically rich tone color. One is forced to ask whether these tonal qualities are really mirorring the fashion of the time of Dom Bédos (which is after all probable - it was time of intense expresivity in organ sound, stylistically very different from -for example - the typical sound of a French organ at the beginning of 18th century) or whether the nature of Bartolomeo Formentelli took over here. Most probably both the aspects contribute to the result. The organ of St. Domenico in Rieti is therefore a modern meditation on the Dom Bédos heritage. This makes it a unique instrument.
(http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/organs/m ... model.html)

A free demo can be tried via this link: http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/blog/dom ... ample-set/

kiaya611

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 10:30 pm

josq,

Very interesting deductions. I downloaded the Demo Sample Set, and although it doesn't give you all of the stops of the organ, the 2 stops I was most interested in the Montre 8' is the flute that I believe is so clear and beautifully voiced... and the Cornet. I wasn't able to add the 8' 4', 2 2/3' and 2' as played in the sample piece, but with the tremulant on it sounds like the same rank of pipes, even given the difference in my audio system and surroundings. I am going to have to purchase that set. The clarity and blending that also works perfectly in Solo, are amazing. I truly appreciate your help with this.

Best wishes,

Steven

scottherbert

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 12:58 pm

josq wrote:Here are a few clues why it must be the Dom Bedos model:

* The date the video is posted (end 2012). This eliminates a lot of new sample sets.
* The chamade. This eliminates organs like Zwolle and Kampen
* The cornet on the upper manual. This eliminates Rotterdam
* and the best clue: the characteristic chiff of the flute(s). The chiff is really the "trademark" of the Dom Bedos model.

The most striking feature is the voicing of the flue pipes: the timbre is dominated by an extraordinary expressive chiff and also the steady portion of the tone is pushed on the edge of the pipe speech stability with rather strong presence of the hiss of air passing through the pipe mouth - all this contributing to the unusually light and harmonically rich tone color. One is forced to ask whether these tonal qualities are really mirorring the fashion of the time of Dom Bédos (which is after all probable - it was time of intense expresivity in organ sound, stylistically very different from -for example - the typical sound of a French organ at the beginning of 18th century) or whether the nature of Bartolomeo Formentelli took over here. Most probably both the aspects contribute to the result. The organ of St. Domenico in Rieti is therefore a modern meditation on the Dom Bédos heritage. This makes it a unique instrument.
(http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/organs/m ... model.html)

A free demo can be tried via this link: http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/blog/dom ... ample-set/

These were the same things I had noted. Grant, while other videos may indeed show the Zwolle, I was only trying to guess the organ in this particular vid., he may, as many of us, have several sets to choose from!

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

1961TC4ME

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 1:51 pm

The tuning is too even and doesn't seem to match up with the tuning of the Dom Bedos. The organ he's playing does not have anything near a French Baroque mean tone tuning sound such as both the St. Max and Dom Bedos do, both of which are very similar sounding. I extensively compared between the 2 before I purchased the St. Max set. Also, the kind of music he is playing doesn't work too well with a mean tone tuning, believe me, I've tried, it doesn't sound too good. :shock:

The clue to me was when he got to the very low and robust notes, I think it's Notre Dame de Metz.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Marc

josq

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 2:06 pm

Tuning can easily be changed in HW. And he is playing on all 4 manuals :wink:

1961TC4ME

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 2:21 pm

josq wrote:Tuning can easily be changed in HW. And he is playing on all 4 manuals :wink:

True, and depending on how things are coupled, he may also be using his 4th manual just for certain registrations because of personal preference. :wink: And, it could be a custom organ, who knows?

I still think it sounds like Metz. Retuning? Ahh, I don't know about that.

Marc

Return to Hauptwerk instruments