It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 am

How to add tweeters to CONN midrange pipe speakers?

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

seh52

How to add tweeters to CONN midrange pipe speakers?

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 12:09 am

My CONN pipe speakers are just midrange, so I don't use them much.

Would these car tweeters work to add the high frequency response to my CONN pipe speakers?

If so, should I add them in parallel or in series to the CONN speakers?

2"150W High Efficiency Dome Tweeter with Built-in crossover a pair NEW V7T6 | eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-150W-High-Ef ... .l4275.c10

Or, am I barking up the wrong kind of tree?

1961TC4ME

Re: How to add tweeters to CONN midrange pipe speakers?

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 11:33 am

seh52 wrote:
Or, am I barking up the wrong kind of tree?

Well, maybe the right tree but just barking in the wrong direction? :mrgreen: I'd be more inclined to just replace the speakers completely vs. trying to add in tweeters. I don't know the size of your Conn speakers but there's a ton of speakers available that have built in tweeters, in fact some are 2 and 3 way speakers. Yes, the ones you find are likely to be more for automotive type use, but they're out there in abundance in and in various sizes. I'd also check places like Parts Express, they've got a huge selection of speakers, that or try the local Best Buy and see what they have. This way you'd have a matching driver / tweeter combination that's designed to work together, there's no telling the outcome if you try adding tweeters. The only thing you'd need to verify is what ohm speakers you'd need and I'd think the sound outcome would be much better.

Marc

engrssc

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 11:55 am

If you are "set" on adding tweeters, you should add a proper crossover network. There aren't many quality oblong 2-way speakers such as in the smaller Conn boxes that I could find that work to improve organ tones but as Thomas pointed out, Parts Express is probably your best source.

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 12:32 pm

engrssc wrote: .... but as Thomas pointed out, Parts Express is probably your best source.

Rgds,
Ed

You mean Marc? :mrgreen:

Marc

magnaton

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 1:06 pm

Much has been written about these Conn pipe speakers in the past. The audio quality gets mixed reviews depending on where you do your research. It seems they work best in a multi channel environment where just a couple of like sounding ranks, 3 tops, are routed to them (i.e. strings). One thing for sure is they make a nice visual impact, especially here in the VPO world, and there are different models available to enhance the visual effect even further. They have held or even increased their monetary value judging from the prices I've seen advertised.

I agree with Marc, consider upgrading to a 2-way or even a 3-way 6 X 9 automotive speaker. This would make for an easy swap out. Best Buy might might be a good source as you can listen in person. Besides Parts Express (who I really like) try Crutchfield as their business was created on enhancing car audio so they have a highly trained staff and make returns and exchanges very easy, way before Amazon came on the scene.

From pictures, it looks like there are four 6 X 9 drivers which is nice since they are usually sold in pairs. Depending on your setup and amplification, I would reconfigure them to be a stereo are double stereo design for the 4 speakers: L L R R or L R L R .

For all us sound and speaker geeks here on the forum, please keep us informed on your progress. :)

Danny B.

seh52

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 1:57 pm

Thanks for these ideas!

Replacing the CONN speakers makes good sense for audio quality, but I prefer to keep them original. They still work as good as new, but are limited by being mid-range only.

If I could simply add an external tweeter with crossover to each CONN box, I'd do it.

From comments here, seems that car parts may be used. I'll keep looking...

scottherbert

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 1:59 pm

In addition to Dannys' response, as well as Ed and Thomas Marc, you could consider full range speakers and do away with the crossover. The main drawback with full range speakers is that they tend to beam (have a narrow dispersion) at higher frequencies. However, since the Conn speakers point up, the point is mute! All frequencies are reflected by the ceiling and the pipes! Just another thing to consider. :D

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

engrssc

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 3:33 pm

1961TC4ME wrote:
engrssc wrote: .... but as Thomas pointed out, Parts Express is probably your best source.

Rgds,
Ed

Yes, Marc :D sorry. Today has been over the top in many respects.

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 4:36 pm

engrssc wrote:
1961TC4ME wrote:

Rgds,
Ed

Yes, Marc :D sorry. Today has been over the top in many respects.

Rgds,
Ed

No problem, Ed, just giving you some grief, or as the kids say 'chirping you.' :mrgreen:

Here just plain old COLD! 8)

Marc

perryinwp

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 12:29 am

I took the persons advice that started this post. I bought some 4 ohm tweeters on amazon ( and yes the conn pipes are 8 ohms) also bought some 8 ohm tweeters on ebay. The pairs sold for $8.53 and $11.00 and it does make a world of difference in sound. He wired one tweeter per set of pipes right to the speaker terminal on the bottom of the pipes and the tweeters are small enough to sit on top of the pipes. They also have a built in crossover. Thanks for the great tip. :D :D :D

perryinwp

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 12:53 am

[urlImage][/url]

[url][url=https://postimg.cc/image/53t3b71l1/]Image[/url][/url]

perryinwp

Return to Amplification