It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 am

Milan Skinner

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

telemanr

Milan Skinner

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 7:49 am

I really wish Brett would either squash the idea that sometime there would be a new better version of the Skinner or produce it. It’s been literally years.
Rob Enns

mnailor

Re: Milan Skinner

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 11:03 am

Unless I've missed one, wasn't the last MDA sampleset St. Eucaire in 2012?

I still use Mt. Carmel as the only E. M. Skinner sampleset I know of in a reverberant space. Multiple releases would be great, but this is still one of the best US samplesets, in my opinion. If MDA releases a new version of it, I'm buying.

I hope they don't decide to kill the project, no matter how delayed it may be! :D

1961TC4ME

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 11:06 am

Seems this subject gets brought up about once a year and generally right around this time. Maybe it's in the hopes that this will finally be the year that we get a long awaited holiday surprise, and it piques my interest yet once again. It's been talked about endlessly, Brett has thrown out a few tidbits and details about the set here and there, but has never said it's not going to happen and instead has said to just be patient.

This is just pure speculation on my part, so don't anyone go reading too deeply into this, as Sergeant Schultz used to say "I know nothing!" The long delay and introduction of this new and improved Skinner could possibly need to coincide with a new release of the next version of Hauptwerk, possibly because of some new feature we haven't been privy to that this set would require that would be in the next version.

One thing I can say for sure, I've wanted a Skinner set for a very long time and I've waited a very long time, I'm not inclined to wait much longer, and come hell or high water I will be purchasing a Skinner this year before Christmas, currently the SP Skinner set is on my radar.

Again, as far as the rest of it goes, just pure speculation on my part. :)

Marc

magnaton

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 11:59 am

1961TC4ME wrote:The long delay and introduction of this new and improved Skinner could possibly need to coincide with a new release of the next version of Hauptwerk, possibly because of some new feature we haven't been privy to that this set would require that would be in the next version.

One thing I can say for sure, I've wanted a Skinner set for a very long time and I've waited a very long time, I'm not inclined to wait much longer, and come hell or high water I will be purchasing a Skinner this year before

LOL, I've suspected the same thing. A marketing tour-De-fource of a dual upgrade so to speak.

Marc I was in the same boat as you. As mentioned before, the Mt. Carmel Skinner has an awesome spec: strings, celeste, percussions, En Chamade, 32' flue and reed. However the single release created the bell effect in the reverb when playing 16th notes in succession as in many Baroque or French compositions. So I purchased the Armley-Schultze which has all the same attributes I just mentioned (sans percussions). I was very impressed with the demo set and got a chance to play the 32 rank version which sealed the deal. Plus its a very recent set, multiple release, and available in surround sound. Check it out before you make your decision.

Danny B.

mnailor

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 12:02 pm

The SP is an Aeolian-Skinner. Very different style of instrument from an E. M. Skinner.

1961TC4ME

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 1:36 pm

mnailor wrote:The SP is an Aeolian-Skinner. Very different style of instrument from an E. M. Skinner.

Yes, sir, totally agree but I'm cool with the Aeolian versions as well. One Skinner I fell in love with the sound of is featured here on Pipedreams >>> http://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2016/1645/ is the 1949 Aeolian Skinner in Kilgore, TX. I love the acoustic and the overall sound of the instrument that I find absolutely captivating. Check out the first 3 or so pieces and I'm sure you'll agree, what a sample set this one would make! I find the SP Skinner to share some pretty close similarities, so is why I'm attracted to it and I've gotten over the relatively dry acoustics.

Danny, I did try out the Armley Schulze demo and I like it except for one area.... Even in the description of the instrument it is noted that the mixtures in particular have some pretty serious bite to them, they do and perhaps are a bit too much for my liking as mixtures are something I always pay a lot of attention to when looking at sets, otherwise it's a really nice sounding set. But, we also have that fairly lousy exchange rate difference with our friends across the pond which puts the 57 stop version (the only one I'd be interested in) kind of out there. Jiri is also offering 10% off right now which makes the Skinner a really nice stocking stuffer. :wink:

This topic is sure to garner some attention :) .

Marc

telemanr

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 3:03 pm

Perhaps you can tame the mixtures of the Armley with the HW voicing controls.
Rob Enns

magnaton

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 6:35 pm

I do have the 57 (Complete) version of the AS, love it, and play it just about everyday. For the literature that I'm currently working on, its a perfect fit. I personally don't find the mixtures overbearing. Well okay the big 5 rank version in the Great will get your attention but, as as Telmar suggested, I have tamed it bit with the HW voicing. The Cymbel in the Swell has a configuration for its break points: original (middle C), -1 octave, or +1 octave, the latter sounding more conventional.

Danny B.

seh52

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 9:49 am

Milan's dry Mt Carmel EM Skinner has been updated and is terrific!

mnailor

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 10:23 am

seh52 wrote:Milan's dry Mt Carmel EM Skinner has been updated and is terrific!

Please give a link. Last update I could find is update patch 1.03 from 2008.

Thanks.

1961TC4ME

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 10:56 am

telemanr wrote:Perhaps you can tame the mixtures of the Armley with the HW voicing controls.

Hi Rob,

That's something I didn't try. I deleted Armley after I gave it a try but I still have the evaluation files on a memory stick, so perhaps I'll install it again and give it one more listen before I decide. I can say that I sure like the sound of the Armley audio demos David has on his site.

Marc

josq

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 12:30 pm

I think the updated dry version can be found here: https://midiworks.ca/index.php?option=c ... oduct_id=8

I have the sample set of the Reuters organ from the Portland synagogue. Would that be a reasonable alternative for the Skinner?

mnailor

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 12:55 pm

josq wrote:I think the updated dry version can be found here: https://midiworks.ca/index.php?option=c ... oduct_id=8

I have the sample set of the Reuters organ from the Portland synagogue. Would that be a reasonable alternative for the Skinner?

Thank you. I think that's the same 2008 or earlier release recorded in 2006. CMW just sources from MDA. There hasn't been a newer release, but if you like dry samples, this might be fine. I need the big room acoustic so it's the wet set for me.

Others will disagree, but I think E M Skinner's best organs made a statement that differs a lot from Reuters, Aeolian, and other early 20th century organs. I wouldn't say anything bad about the Reuters, but it isn't a Skinner either.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments