It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:24 am

Hauptwerk-Midi

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

pedro

Hauptwerk-Midi

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 9:12 am

Hello Everybody
Would someone know the best solution to this situation?
If a person would have:
An complete Hauptwerk setup in Room A including,console,audio,soundcard,computer.
Then there is Room B that only has a midified console in it.Its also about 30-40 ft away from room A.
If you would want to play the console in room B on the Hauptwerk system in room A, that wouldnt be to hard
using the MidiJet wireless system,i would think.
The midi would travel to the soundcard via USB and the sound card is connected to the computer which are all in room A.
But the question is how to run Hauptwerk,screens, ect.on console B ,if the computer is located at console A?
Thanks for reading

anco111

Re: Hauptwerk-Midi

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 10:00 am

I have no idea how much 40 ft is...

But maybe you could try a duplicate screen? Connect a second screen to your PC, then there is a windows setting somwhere to make the 2 screens duplicates of each other, so you can do exactly the same on both these screens.

It is also possible to fully automate the startup process in the pc. Push the button > start windows > start hauptwerk with a delay.(dont ask me how to do this exactly) So make a button in room B and wire it to the pc.
The hardware you can put on programmable power outlet strip (is this the correct name?) so that is also automatic starting up after your pc.

But this all needs wires, and I, as I said, have no idea what distance 40ft is. (Room on the other side of the wall? or other side of the house?)

dhm

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 10:45 am

pedro wrote:If you would want to play the console in room B on the Hauptwerk system in room A, that wouldnt be to hard
using the MidiJet wireless system,i would think.
The midi would travel to the soundcard via USB and the sound card is connected to the computer which are all in room A.

Not quite correct.
MIDIjet has a transmitter and a receiver.
So the MIDI cable from the console in Room B would connect to the MIDIjet transmitter.
And the MIDIjet receiver would connect by MIDI cable to the soundcard in Room A.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

engrssc

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 8:42 pm

I have a similar (working) situation being 2 consoles playing the same Hauptwerk computer. But these consoles are 150 ft apart. I mentioned "working" as in almost 2 months. You may not want to go to this extreme because it is fairly involved and not cheap. Quite a bit of hardware with the costs getting pretty near installing 2 separate computers. The "saving grace" is that these 2 consoles (in the same auditorium) use only one computer, 1 sample set, and 1 - Hauptwerk license. I don't usually like to put all the "eggs" in one basket, but - - - So those considerations led to this: Two consoles each with their own computer, H/W setup and sample set playing the same audio system would be simpler way to go by far.

We are using 2 - Gefen USB20RU10 (480 Mbps) USB 2.0 LR Extender systems. Each extender system can extend USB 2.0 up to 300 ft.over a CAT 6 cable. Each extender system consists of 1 - Sender and 1 - Receiver module.

One extender system extends MIDI via USB 2 from the secondary console to the computer with negligible latency, (no more than with real ;pipes). W\e did use shielded (solid conductor) CAT 6 cable.

And the second extender system extends the display (visual monitor) from the computer to the display monitor on the secondary console. You need various converters for the MIDI and also for the display monitor at the secondary console which has touch screen capabilities.

The object was not to play both consoles together, altho this could be done, but rather to play the balcony for use with a choir, and the main floor console for such as concerts. This system is in place but not being used presently yet as there are other considerations (not directly concerning this setup) being ironed out. For one thing, we are waiting for the main organist to recover from recent surgery to give both consoles a real work out. In that regard, I'm looking into a way to measure max MIDI output from either console. Any ideas about how to do this?

BTW, there are other USB (extender) systems which support USB 3.0 throughputs of up to 5 Gbps at double the cost. And greater (extension) distances are available using fiber. But who wants to play an organ over a mile away? :roll:

But it does work - so far.

Rgds,
Ed

telemanr

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 9:43 pm

Is there a reason why you couldn’t just load HW and the sample set on each organ and just plug the HW dongle on whichever one was to be played?
Since you said they weren’t really meant to be played simultaneously.
Rob Enns

engrssc

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 10:19 pm

There is presently only a single computer involved. at the balcony location.

Rgdds,
Ed

telemanr

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 10:56 pm

But wouldn’t a second computer be cheaper than what it’s taken to connect the two? Just asking since reasonable computers for the purpose can be quite reasonable.
Rob Enns

engrssc

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 11:29 pm

A second computer was what I originally proposed, but we are dealing with a musical director whose mind is made up and not wanting to be confused by the facts.. This second very compact console was existing basically as a MIDI switch box used in other applications. As a result, the only Mac that would fit inside would be a Mac Mini. From some recent conversations, there is some thoughts given to using both console synultaneously in the future somewhat depending on the thoughts of their main organist.

It's not impossible, that as time goes on,, their thinking may change. To slightly complicate the picture is the fact that 2 CAT 6 cables existed and it may be difficult to add additional wiring altho I also proposed using a MOTU 24 Ao. Will see. :wink: .

Rgds,
Ed

telemanr

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 11:41 pm

It’s never simple making decisions when others are allowed to have an opinion which counts. :)
Rob Enns

engrssc

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 4:27 am

Hey, Rob,

Your observation is totally correct. It was interesting , tho, to see if this "method" would work and so far it does. The above extenders are really more in use commercially as in industrial applications, even medical. Not sure if it would have worked with a wireless system. A lot of MIDI messages are generated in just "normal" organ playing. Still looking for a method to measure and not just observe what's happening MIDI wise.

Rgds,
Ed

pedro

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 9:27 am

Hey,thanks all for info.
This is my situation:
I have a real nice console in the living room,but have a complete system in my bedroom,so i just want to play on the console in the living room coming through the audio in the bedroom just for the fun of it.
For family reasons i cant have any audio setup in the living room :D
It actually sounds good if you turn up the volume in the bedroom and you can hear detail quite well.
I guess i can just use that console as a midi station of the Hauptwerk computer in the bedroom.
I can program different registrations into the keys of the console which i dont use and change a registration that way.
Any other computer changes i would need to go to the bedroom computer.
Would need the wireless Midi to do it.
Is MidiJet the best option?
Enjoy your day!

mdyde

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 9:34 am

Hello Pedro,

A standard MIDI cable can be up to 50 feet (about 15 metres) anyway (if a good-quality cable), so you might not need anything hi-tech.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

pedro

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 9:55 am

Hi Martin
For family reasons i cant run any wiring :D
Thank you

mdyde

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 9:55 am

Ah!
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

dhm

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 10:24 am

pedro wrote:Would need the wireless Midi to do it.
Is MidiJet the best option?

Possibly. See here for more info: https://www.midijet.com/
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu
Next

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing