It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 am

Custom temperaments: mean tone E-flat / D-sharp

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

jsavan

Custom temperaments: mean tone E-flat / D-sharp

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 5:03 am

Hello,
I am relatively new to Hauptwerk, but excited about the possibilities of using samples of historical organs for early music performances. For my first project I need 1/4 comma mean tone with E-flats in some pieces, D-sharps in others. Does Hauptwerk have a version of this temperament with D-sharps? If not, can someone advise how to go about defining my own temperaments?
Many thanks in advance!
Jamie

mdyde

Re: Custom temperaments: mean tone E-flat / D-sharp

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 7:14 am

Hello Jamie,

You can load the temperaments that are included with Hauptwerk using 'Pitch | Load temperament ...', or via the 'Pitch' large control panel ('View | Large floating control panels ...'), for example.

These are the mean-tone temperaments included:

- Mean-Tone: 1/5 Pythagorean Comma
- Mean-Tone: 1/6 Comma Modified
- Mean-Tone: 1/4 Syntonic Comma, Pietro Aaron
- Mean-Tone: 1/6 Pythagorean Comma

I can't actually remember the exact intervals that they use, I'm afraid (I based them on some tables many years ago, when Hauptwerk v2 was originally being developed), but I'd suggest trying the 1/4-comma one to see.

You can create a temperament file yourself manually by basing it on one of the existing ones in:

[Hauptwerk installation folder]/HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents/Temperaments

Make a copy of an existing one, rename the copy appropriately, then edit it in a text/XML editor to give it a new UniqueTemperamentID in the 'user' range 800000-899999 and appropriate Name and ShortName, then set PitchHz for each MIDINoteNumberOnEightFootStop in the range 0-132 (middle C on an 8' stop is note number 60).

A Hauptwerk user created an on-line Hauptwerk temperament file generator utility at one point, but I'm not sure whether that website still exists.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

jsavan

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 7:58 am

Many thanks for your reply, that’s very helpful. The standard Aaron 1/4 comma mean tone uses E-flats; I’ll have a go at editing the file as you suggest. If I can get it to work I’ll post the file here in case it’s useful to others.
All best,
Jamie

mdyde

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 8:11 am

Thanks, Jamie.

You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

phjo

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 8:58 am

I shared a while ago on contrebombarde meantone temperaments with d# and one with a#.

Files and instructions here : http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/25675

Pierre-Henri

jsavan

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 10:33 am

Thank you, Pierre-Henri, very kind of you to share these files - that has saved me some work!
All the best,
Jamie

Return to Technical support