It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:21 am

Memory Increase Problem

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

Doug S.

Memory Increase Problem

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 11:57 am

I've been jousting with a problem when increasing memory from 16 gig to 32 gig. Everything is fine until I introduce the last of 4 eight-gig modules whereupon the computer takes a number of attempts to boot before finally starting and working fine with the 32 gig. It doesn't matter which of the 4 sticks it is. I replaced my Gigabyte MOBO with an equivalent Intel board in hopes that was the problem, but alas, the issue persists. I'm running with 3x8 24 gig for now of confirmed compatible memory but would love to know just what the problem is. I've searched the net but found nothing to clearly explain what's going on.
Thanks,
Doug
Doug

IainStinson

Re: Memory Increase Problem

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 12:31 pm

Some things which might be worth looking at?
- Have you tried to run the memory diagnostics from the BIOS with all four memory simms (/dimms) in place?
- Do you need to tell the BIOS that you have added memory?
- Are there settings in the BIOS to do with mapping memory used by any integrated (motherboard) graphics processor (even if you're not using it...)?
- can the motherboard definitely support support 4*8GB chips?

Good luck

Iain

Doug S.

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 1:16 pm

No

No

Don't Know

Yes

Same behaviour on 2 very different MOBO brands both specifying this memory.

Bios permits adjusting the voltage to the memory(?)
Doug

sjkartchner

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 7:52 pm

Are the four sticks identical? If not, that could be an issue. If they are, then perhaps could be timing issue if even one stick is out of spec.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

murph

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 8:05 pm

Ditto on the identical sticks. Also, is the PSU big enough for that many ram sticks?

Doug S.

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 8:48 pm

That are identical and interchangeable and the core i7 is also capable.
Doug

organtechnology

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 1:19 pm

Doug S. wrote:That are identical and interchangeable and the core i7 is also capable.

The memory sticks may appear to be identical, have the same part number etc but unless they are from the same batch of chips and are packaged as a 32GB set, I would bet food money they are not truly identical.

I have encountered precisely this condition and it was necessary to buy a matched set of 32GB sticks (4x8GB in my case) to get the computer to behave.

I also attempted to add another set of 32GB matched memory to go to 64GB and was met with the same problem. This was DDR4 memory without EC.

jm2cents,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Doug S.

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 1:53 pm

The Corsair memory was purchased as a packaged new set of four.
Doug

sjkartchner

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 4:57 pm

This still sounds like a timing issue so may have something to do with clock rates (native vs overclocked), EC vs non-EC, etc. The fact that you’re seeing the same issue with a different motherboard, however, really does point to the memory sticks and some sort of fault with one or more of those as opposed to some other issue. I would be looking at doing a warranty swap of the full batch before spending too much time looking for other causes.

Also, the PSU question mentioned by murph has to do with whether you are supplying enough power to the motherboard as opposed to whether or not the processor is capable.

sjkartchner

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 5:08 pm

Here is a somewhat dated but still applicable piece on the importance of having an adequate power supply: https://www.pcmech.com/article/can-a-power-supply-be-responsible-for-bad-ram/

Doug S.

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 5:41 pm

I did upgrade the power supply and am considering raising the voltage to the memory in very small increments. I hesitate to blame a defect because it matters not which stick is not plugged into the MOBO.
Doug

Return to Computer hardware / specs