It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:37 am

Pedal sharp color options

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

EricJ

Pedal sharp color options

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 1:43 pm

I am building a pedal board from scratch. I am using maple for the naturals and will just varnish them, leaving their natural color. I am looking for advice on options for coloring the Sharps. I am referring to the Key part that you step on (not sure what it is called), and not the underlying board that runs the whole length.

1. I could stain, paint or dye maple black for the sharps and then varnish over that (polyurathane used for floors). My concern is that eventually it will wear through to the light colored wood.

2. I am leaning to using Walnut for the sharps. not quite as hard as maple but I think it would be durable enough. I would probably varnish over that (polyurathane).

3. I could cap the sharps with some black Delerin (Acetal) that stuff is indestructible and would not need to be coated, any wear would still be black. the only problem is it is hard ( or impossible) to glue it to anything and thick pieces are very expensive

Any comments and suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks in Advance. I am located in Orange county California.

georgefung

Re: Pedal sharp color options

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 8:30 am

Eric,

I would suggest 1 or 2. Since you're making your pedalboard from scratch, I think any woodworker will be prouder of sharps that are made of wood. Keep in mind that they don't necessarily need to be coloured black. They can always be stained a darker brown if you prefer.
Polyurethane works well. I used polyurethane on some worn spots on my pedalboard recently.

I wouldn't suggest 3, since you mention that Delrin is expensive and difficult to adhere. Also, Delrin will make the sharps look like they're made of plastic.

Good luck.

Marc Cerisier

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 11:24 am

A further option would be to simply have the same wood throughout. I've seen that more in Europe than the US, but I've encountered it here often enough.

My pedalboard has maple naturals and cherry sharps.

Marc

profeluisegarcia

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 9:50 am

I bought a small piece of natural ebony in US and made 1 centimeter thick caps to cover each sharp. ¡Beautiful!

Luis

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI