It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:59 am

Playing a piano sound

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

atugores

Playing a piano sound

PostSat Jan 06, 2018 7:37 am

I have a Roland C-330 organ which I use with HW only (not with the organ internal sounds, only as a console), and I also have a Kontakt 5 with a Stainway grand sample. So instead of starting HW I start Kontakt 5 and select the Grand pianos sample, until here everything is ok, but when playing a key no sound out of the system unless I strike the key with an unusual force, like to strike with a hammer. The roland is key sensitive and in the menu I have the following
Velocity value
KBD:
The keyboard’s velocity will be used
2–127:
The specified value will be used as the velocity.
Does any one know what can I do to play the piano sound on this keyboard, as if it was a normal piano keyboard ?.
I can't find the solution myself so Thank you for your help.

organtechnology

Re: Playing a piano sound

PostSat Jan 06, 2018 11:54 am

atugores wrote:I have a Roland C-330 organ which I use with HW only (not with the organ internal sounds, only as a console), and I also have a Kontakt 5 with a Stainway grand sample. So instead of starting HW I start Kontakt 5 and select the Grand pianos sample, until here everything is ok, but when playing a key no sound out of the system unless I strike the key with an unusual force, like to strike with a hammer. The roland is key sensitive and in the menu I have the following

Velocity value
KBD:
The keyboard’s velocity will be used
2–127:
The specified value will be used as the velocity.

Does any one know what can I do to play the piano sound on this keyboard, as if it was a normal piano keyboard ?.
I can't find the solution myself so Thank you for your help.

Hi,
Looking at the instructions for selecting key strike velocity it appears that you can select a single velocity between 2-127 but the keys do not generate a velocity value depending on how hard you hit them. Perhaps there is another set of instructions to turn velocity sensitivity on in the C330.

You can confirm this by getting a MIDI monitor program like MIDI-OX or MIDI Monitor (Snoize in OSX) and observing the velocity variation as you play the keys. Probably cannot use the MIDI monitor and Hauptwerk at the same time.

If you are getting velocity variable output from the Roland then the next place to look is in the Piano sample settings to see if they are accepting the range of output that you are getting when you play the C330.
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

atugores

Re: Playing a piano sound

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 4:10 am

Thank you for your recommendation, I will look after that, but what I can say by now is that the Roland can change the velocity from 0 to 127 but nothing happen doing that, the result is the same.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing