It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 am

Amps for Hauptwerk

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

pedro

Amps for Hauptwerk

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 10:20 am

Hi All
Just wondering what kind of audio amps people are using for Hauptwerk these days.?
Would the Yamaha R-S201 be a good choice?
Its a good price, for sure.
Thank you

1961TC4ME

Re: Amps for Hauptwerk

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 10:40 am

No experience with the Yamaha, but I did look it up.

I'm using a couple of these in my Hauptwerk set-up. I'd imagine they'd be quite similar to the Yamaha you mention. They work well and are also reasonably priced, they do go on sale occasionally for around $100.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-2 ... Id=4156007

For higher end without the normally crazy high end price I've looked at Amps from Emotiva and have heard good reports on them, some here I understand are using them. Given I generally do not run the volume at a very high level (trying to save my hearing for many years of Hauptwerk to come! :) ) I do wonder how much better things would sound.

Marc

engrssc

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 11:58 am

Strictly speaking and an opinion, the speaker(s) are the weakest link in the system. Even with the highest spec'd amp, driving a lesser set of speakers, you quite possibly may not hear a huge difference. vs using an average good quality amp with a top line speaker system. It's very difficult to build a really good speaker system.

Quite possibly why several on this Forum like active integrated amp studio monitor speakers. This way a manufacturer can integrate an amp design to directly compliment a particular speaker. This, too, is an opinion.

Rgds,
Ed

organsRgreat

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 7:11 am

I ENTIRELY agree with Ed – speakers are the weakest link in most audio systems, whereas most amps are pretty good nowadays. I use Quad 303 power amps – an old transistor design (1967); they sell on ebay for around £200, depending on condition. They are known to be reliable, but in any case are very easy to service. In the UK Quad still service them, but that may not help as you appear to be in America. However circuit diagrams are widely available on the internet e.g.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=quad+ ... BKuao0B-IM:

Vintage hi-fi can be a good way to obtain high-end performance without playing high-end prices.

Eric Sagmuller

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 12:35 pm

I agree too that speakers tend to be the weakest link. I would however stay away from transistor amp designs before the 80's or so. Early designs tended to be gritty / cold sounding.

Incidentally, back in the early 80's I built some ESL's (electrostatic loudspeakers). They were small but sounded amazing on tube amps. I had planned to build some large ones but never got around to it. I may give them a shot again once I retire and hope to have some spare time.

Eric

engrssc

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 1:09 pm

Eric Sagmuller wrote:I may give them a shot again once I retire and hope to have some spare time.

It's amazing how a retiree's spare time evaporates to the point you don't know how you managed while working full time.

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Sagmuller

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Heh, yeah I have alot of to do's, but not the energy or health anymore as when I was young. I'll be 60 next year and will satisfy the state retirement. But as I can't draw SS yet, will be quite a pay cut. So may stick it out a couple more years :( .

Eric

engrssc

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 4:41 pm

Wish you well, Eric. Some say you are as young as you feel. :roll: Then there are days I take exception to that premise, but enjoying benefits of Hauptwerk seems to enliven the spirit. 8)

Sometimes I think back as I look at the picture of our dog, Mackie, that I have used as my avatar. Took that picture of her 14 years ago. And she's still doing quite well.

Rgds,
Ed

scottherbert

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 pm

"You're as young as you feel" Ed? That sounds good, but I want to know who the clown is that keeps turning UP the gravity to 150% on me!!! :lol:

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

Eric Sagmuller

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 6:36 am

Thanks Ed. Yeah HW definitely lifts my spirits heavenward. I like to play mostly Bach.

Glad your dog is still doing well. Our's died about a year ago at 14. We then decided on two lively puppies. We're wondering now what we were thinking. But they will settle down, I hope.

I'm with you on that one Scott.

Eric

organsRgreat

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 6:47 am

Eric – My Quad 303 drives a pair of (Quad) electrostatics (serviced by Quad), and honestly the sound isn't in any way “gritty or cold”. Other transistor amps from that period may well have those problems, but if they were present on the 303 I'm sure that would be evident on the electrostatics.

I don't understand the technicalities, but I know that Peter Walker used “transistor triples” in the 303, and these are said to give a sound similar to that of valves. I found the following online regarding that configuration:

“Harmonic and intermodulation distortion products in the audio range are so low that they are difficult to measure in meaningful terms”.

You must be very skilled to build electrostatics yourself – the engineering problems are known to be considerable. I'd love to hear a Hauptwerk installation using mainly electrostatics, with just a subwoofer or two to help out with the lowest frequencies.

Eric Sagmuller

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 12:24 pm

Hi,

It's possible the Quad's had a better design topology and the electrostats would reveal that. I'm not sure what they mean about transistor triples. Back when I was more into the actual audio electronics, I worked more with tube designs.

As far as the electrostats go, they aren't that hard to build. I guess as an electronics/ mechanical technician, that's easy for me to say. The biggest problem I had with them was there extremely directional dispersion. I know they've made some headway on this, but I think to get the full advantage of them, the flat directional designs shine.

Eric

Return to Amplification