It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 am

Presonus Audiobox + Windows 10

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Andrew

Presonus Audiobox + Windows 10

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Hi all, has anyone got a Presonus Audiobox, and having problems getting this to work with Windows 10? Mine worked fine with Windows 7, but now I'm having problems. I've downloaded the latest updates for it (called 'Universal Control') as well as the latest Hauptwerk updates, but it's still not connecting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

jerrynazard

Re: Presonus Audiobox + Windows 10

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 12:34 am

Andrew,
I have been running a Presonus Audiobox for several years on Win 10 with no problems. Am I to understand that your unit will not connect at all? Is this a Win 10 upgrade from Win 7? Have you tried uninstalling the Universal Control drivers and doing a clean reinstall? Perhaps when Martin sees your post he will have some suggestions. Good luck!
-Jerry

mdyde

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 4:49 am

jerrynazard wrote: Perhaps when Martin sees your post he will have some suggestions.

Hello Jerry,

I don't have any additional suggestions (apart, perhaps from contacting Presonus for support, or trying a completely fresh install of Windows 10 as a last resort) -- sorry. I've haven't used any of Presonus' products myself, and I don't think I recall hearing of any similar issues from Hauptwerk users.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Andrew

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 6:59 am

Hi Jerry and Martin, thanks for your comments. I've managed to get it going now by trying another option on the pop-up box that came up. Not sure what it was now. The only problem now is that I'm getting some crackling sounds. Will need to adjust a few things obviously. It seems like the CPU is maxing out, but it worked fine before. Thanks again!

mdyde

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 7:18 am

Thanks, Andrew.

In Hauptwerk, on the 'General settings | Audio outputs' screen, first make sure that you have your audio interface's ASIO driver is selected (not DirectSound), and that you're using a reasonable buffer size (at least 256 frames).

If that doesn't solve it:

If Hauptwerk's audio-CPU meter (on the 'View | Large floating control panels | Audio, MIDI and performance' control panel) is going into, or nearly into, the red when few or no pipes are sounding then it indicates that the audio driver/host is calling Hauptwerk too late for Hauptwerk to have time to calculate the audio before the hardware needs to play it (i.e. resulting in a 'buffer under-run' and glitch), either because the audio driver isn't performing properly, or because the PC is having underlying hardware/driver timing issues (e.g. DPC latency). The following utilities should help to identify whether the latter is the issue, i.e. whether the PC and its drivers are performing sufficiently well to support real-time low-latency audio:

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

Leave each one of them running (but not both together, and without Task Manager being open) for half an hour or so whilst Hauptwerk is running with an organ loaded. The second of them, DPCLat might not be fully accurate on Windows 10, but it still seems broadly to work.

There are also some documents with detailed suggestions for troubleshooting PC audio problems here:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/Tutorials/WindowsOptimizationsAndDiagnostics.pdf
https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Andrew

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 8:35 am

Martin, thanks for your detailed reply. I will try the things you mentioned. Thanks again!

jkinkennon

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 12:36 am

I'm a little late adding this, but I've used a Presonus AudioBox iTwo successfully on a Mac mini, a MacPro (3.1), and a Windows 10 PC. Perhaps this will be helpful for anyone who does a search for info on this interface. I tend to hook it up to whichever computer isn't running HW for listening with my headphones.

montyjnc

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 10:56 am

Just curious, what’s your latency for this particular interface? I can’t seem to get below about 10ms which is a bit frustrating.

jkinkennon

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 11:47 am

Lower latency means that the interface is requesting smaller pieces of audio data at more frequent intervals. The onus is on the computer to deliver the audio without getting too busy with something like accessing a disk or the network. Don't blame the interface in most cases.

A delay of around 10ms would equate to the organ pipes being about 10 feet further away than they would sound with zero latency. Is that really a problem? I generally use a setting of 512 samples and occasionally go to twice that amount if my PC or Mac is acting up.

TheOrganDoc

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 8:57 pm

I have two Presonus FP10's, that both work well on my older computers, last week I connected my spare Pre. FP10 to my online computer, (not HW) and no mater what I do the FP10 does not work on my Win10-64 machine, and now Presonus tells me that the FP10, is obsolete ! :oops: :twisted: Grrrrrrrr.
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing