It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

Divide a sample set (limited notes to be played)

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Divide a sample set (limited notes to be played)

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 2:20 pm

I would like to be able to restrict the number of notes (compass) to be played (actually in this case only 21). Eventually the plan is to install a (real) Deagon chime action (21 notes - A to F). For several reasons that can't be done presently. In the mean time, would like to make (21 only) notes from the sample set that includes a chime stop. More than the 21 notes can be played via this sample set stop. I want the organists to get used to having only 21 chime notes available. Possibly installing a second parallel encoder and restricting it's compass to the 21 notes?

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

Re: Divide a sample set (limited notes to be played)

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 2:48 pm

Hello Ed,

In case it's useful for your situation, you could restrict the MIDI key range that Hauptwerk receives for any given virtual keyboard by right-clicking on it, choosing 'Adjust MIDI/trigger settings manually ...' and specifying appropriate values for the 'MIDI keyboard range ...' settings.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 3:18 pm

Sounds do-able, Martin. I briefly thought about something like that, but haven't tried it yet. Can that limited compass be made specific to only the Chime stop? Because when the Chmes aren't playing, other stops would require the entire compass to be available. I was able to set it up so that when the Chime stop is drawn, it shuts off any other previous drawn stops on that (Great) manual, When the Chime draw knob is turned off, any previously drawn stops "return" to be on. A reversible so to speak.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Hello Ed,

No -- those settings are per virtual keyboard, I'm afraid.
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 3:48 pm

That's where I was thinking of a second (switched) encoder, Doesn't sound as if that would work either.

Thamls, Martin.

Rgds,
Ed

Rodgers321

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 8:18 pm

Ed,
How about something similar to the Glockenspiel on the Rodgers organs? On my modest Rodgers 321 Trio, there is a separate tab switch to activate the hard wired 30 note Glockenspiel contacts on the Solo manual.
Of course the Glockenspiel is NOT chimes, but maybe the concept of having 20 - 30 added contacts inside
the organ to feed the external chimes might be a thought.

The Glockenspiel on my organ is hard wired, but I have considered converting to midi to eliminate the 31 wires in the attached cable. Perhaps in your case, a midi feed from the added internal contacts to the chimes could be a solution.

Good luck,

Don

engrssc

PostSat Jan 06, 2018 11:32 am

Hi Don,

The idea is fine and I have the same setup on my Rodgera 340 for the glock.. The problem here is the organ involved is a newer version using 8 X 8 matrix (with diodes) keying and there is no way to add extra key contacts, at least not any way that I know of. Thanks, tho.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostSat Jan 06, 2018 8:28 pm

Looking at a different approach namely using a MIDI decoder such as a Doepfer MTC64 (which I have) on the organ's MIDI output.

MTC64 is an universal MIDI interface that converts up to 64 succeeding MIDI note on/off or program change messages into 64 TTL voltages (0/+5V). The TTL outputs of the MTC64 can be used to control different switching functions.

I'm thinking by setting the MIDI channel on this board to the particular channel of the keyboard involved, then picking up (only) the particular notes (A thru F in this case) I should be able to use those 21 TTL outputs to drive an encoder with just that range (compass) available maybe? This would not disturb any other MIDI output(s) from the manual.

Rgds,
Ed

BachsFugue

PostSun Jan 07, 2018 12:14 am

On some of the organs celeste stops have only a 49 note compass. I'm not sure how that is accomplished, but it might work for a chime stop. You might also fill in the non-playing notes with silent samples.
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

jkinkennon

PostSun Jan 07, 2018 2:13 pm

An encoder (like a couple of mine) which also decodes HW status info could easily be set to change the compass of a manual when a certain stop is engaged. Hardly seems worth the trouble though for a temporary feature that you won't need once real chimes are installed.

As an aside, are "real" chimes needed? The church bells and tubular bells on Pianoteq are amazing and could easily be confused with the real thing.

engrssc

PostSun Jan 07, 2018 2:54 pm

jkinkennon wrote:An encoder (like a couple of mine) which also decodes HW status info could easily be set to change the compass of a manual when a certain stop is engaged. Hardly seems worth the trouble though for a temporary feature that you won't need once real chimes are installed.

Temporary in this case is projected to be a couple of years. Their new building is only now in the planning stage.

BTW, which decoder/encoder are you referring to? And again, during this interval, we don't want the organist's to get used to having something like a 49 chime note compass available.

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostSun Jan 07, 2018 3:26 pm

I could send you an encoder, Ed. Send me an email to john-at-kinkennon-dot-com with info about whether you have a bus or matrix style keyboard, and if the nitty-gritty technical details match up then I'll send you a one keyboard solution that you can experiment with.

johnstump_organist

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 5:36 am

What ha]pens if you pull the volume down to 0 on the unwanted notes in the voicing page of the chime stop? Is there still sound on those notes?
John

mdyde

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 6:22 am

Hello John,

It's only possible to reduce the volume of a pipe by 24 dB via the voicing screen.
Best regards, Martin.

murph

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 3:04 pm

Would replacing the unwanted samples with silent wav's not be the quickest solution?

(Cue protests from Martin........)

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing