It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:10 am

First use midi sequencing

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Deckie

First use midi sequencing

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 6:01 pm

I've been using HW v4 (Mac version) for several years now but I have never used the midi sequencing function. I want to try it out but although I've been midi sequencing for many years on other instruments, my knowledge of midi is somewhat limited. Looking through the HW manual there are so many options and variables for setting up midi sequencing, it's not obvious where to start and what configuration would apply to my situation. All I want to do to start out with is to be able to produce a simple .mid file using 3rd party software (either as a single track or preferably one track per manual), load the file into HW somehow and play it through the loaded organ as a learning aid. I'm only interested in playing back the notes and varying the tempo, I'm not worried about implementing registrations in midi or anything else at this stage.

I have an old midi sequencing programme that I used to run on Windows 95 many years ago (Master Tracks Pro) so it won't have any plugins or anything that will link to HW. I'm using it because I'm familiar with it and I don't want to have to buy and learn a new sequencing programme from scratch (maybe at a later date if I need to). I'm sure the programme generates compatible files to the general midi standard that HW should be able to read (type 0 and type 1 files).

Can anyone please advise what I need to do to achieve this or which section of the manual I need to refer to. Are there any precautions I need to be aware of when generating the midi file to ensure the file is compatible (e.g. instrument settings, channels, number of tracks, etc.). I'm using a MacBook and a Saffire PRO 40 interface.

Thanks.

mdyde

Re: First use midi sequencing

PostSat Jan 20, 2018 5:35 am

Hello Deckie,

That all sounds simple enough in principle. You should just need to make sure that your MIDI sequencing software saves the MIDI file using the MIDI implementation that's described by the 'Recording | View MIDI recorder/player/sequencer MIDI implementation (for this organ)' menu function in Hauptwerk, with the relevant organ loaded. Since you don't plan to sequence registration changes, you would probably just need to check that your MIDI file used the specified MIDI channels for the various organ keyboards, and the specified MIDI controller numbers and channels for the swell pedals. Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI player should then be able to play it properly (for that organ).

Hope that helps.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Deckie

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 11:45 am

Thanks Martin, I followed your pointers and it worked first time exactly as I hoped. I was getting lost going through the detail in the midi section of the manual.

mdyde

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 12:26 pm

Thanks, Deckie.

You're very welcome. Glad to hear you have it working how you'd like it now.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support