It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

Pedal reed switch stuck on

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

johnstump_organist

Pedal reed switch stuck on

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 2:42 pm

I have a MidiWorks pedal board. Recently one note ( high b-flat) began to give me problems. It would often be dead, but if I fiddle with the position of the reed switch board I could get it to come back to life. The last "fiddle" however turned it on and now it won't go off. I assume the switch in in the capsule is stuck on. I took the screw out and pulled the little board away from the back of the pedal but it just keeps cyphering (is that a word?)
Any suggestions other than replacement since I am hopeless with electronics. If it needs replacing I will need to find someone who knows how to do that.
Thanks in advance.
John

OrganoPleno

Re: Pedal reed switch stuck on

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 4:00 pm

johnstump_organist wrote:I assume the switch in in the capsule is stuck on.

On your Pedalboard, when you unscrew the rear panel to see all those little circuit boards, each containing a Magnetic Reed Switch for one Pedal Key... you may find a few spare Switches taped on there, intended for use as a replacement.

Somebody who is comfortable with soldering electronics could remove the questionable Reed Switch from the relevant circuit board (once that board has been unscrewed and freed up from the frame of the Pedalboard). And solder the new switch into place... assuring same orientation and connections as the original.

Good luck!

Another thing to look for would be a possible excess of soldering flux on the Board. I saw such a problem once, and the "short circuit" was resolved by scraping a gap into the excess flux with my fingernail, and then scrubbing that part of the Board with alcohol on tissue paper... being careful not to damage anything in the process!

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI