It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:19 am

Console Dimensions

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Jeff C

Console Dimensions

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 8:26 am

Six years ago I had every intention of beginning the build of a 3 manual VPO and began collecting together the bits and pieces I would need. Unfortunately, as we all know, life can sometimes have a nasty habit of 'turning on a sixpence', and for quite a number of personal reasons (which I won't bore you with) the project never actually got off the ground. The 'bits and pieces' ended up in storage with a good friend.

Happily however, things are now much different and I am in a position to re-start the build. So.......all of my toys are finally coming out to play!

I already have a suitable computer (rebuilt recently) and Hauptwerk (with licence), pedalboard (to be midified), bench, and three midi controller keyboards (M-Audio) purchased way back when.

Manuals first. I've already started to extract the claviers and have begun to fabricate the bases that each one will sit on but I want to get the build as close as possible to recognised standards (and comfortable playability) with regard to the degree of slope required on each manual. I've spent some time trawling the internet and have come across various useful websites giving suggested dimensions etc. for sloping keycheeks. No problem there.

However, a few days ago my lovely wife suggested that, in time, I may not be happy with three manuals and may want to add a fourth! ......... so why not plan for that possibility now?

Unless I'm missing something or looking in the wrong place, for four manual builds, this seems to be where information begins to get a bit sketchy, and I was wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions of places to look, or better still, the kind of experience you've had with your own builds.

Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Jeff

organtechnology

Re: Console Dimensions

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 10:56 am

It seems that a 4-manual AGO key desk specification is significantly different from a 2 or 3-manual.
The manuals are moved toward the player and the pedal board - manual stack spacing is different.

Perhaps the BDO spec is similar?

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

flydeltajets

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 11:34 am

Good morning,

There is a useful worksheet on AGO specifications here: http://westminsterorganworks.com/pdf/agoconsole.pdf

Look at the section on the bottom-left regarding Pedal-to-Manual spacing. Basically, the manuals are moved towards the player between 1-2.5" depending on the spacing you used for the 2/3-manual dimensions.

Also, OSI has some information on manual angles here: http://www.organsupply.com/assets/Uploa ... -Sheet.pdf

Dnsmo

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 1:10 pm

flydeltajets wrote:Good morning,

There is a useful worksheet on AGO specifications here: http://westminsterorganworks.com/pdf/agoconsole.pdf

Look at the section on the bottom-left regarding Pedal-to-Manual spacing. Basically, the manuals are moved towards the player between 1-2.5" depending on the spacing you used for the 2/3-manual dimensions.

Also, OSI has some information on manual angles here: http://www.organsupply.com/assets/Uploa ... -Sheet.pdf

Like Jeff, I'm also putting together the components of my VPO, having recently acquired a MIDI-ed 32-note pedalboard. I was going to post the AGO specs link you put up (you beat me to it), but I am not familiar with the OSI spec sheet which is very useful.

Thank you for both!

Dennis
Dennis

GrahamH

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 1:51 pm

rhedgebeth

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 5:54 pm

Be aware that manual to pedal height in current practice is often 1/2" to an inch greater than "AGO Standard". My understanding is that the original relationships of the AGO specs were set by Ernest Skinner, who was 5' 4" tall.The specified height dimension is very tight for many organists these days. If you're 6' tall or+ you're almost certain to want an increased dimension.

The provided dimensions on our web site (only accessible directly through the given link) are the published AGO specs, corrected from erroneously dimensioned drawings that have been available at times from different sources.

Keyboard overhang of the pedals and between manuals is much more sensible, but here, too, you'll find some variation, with some builders reducing the length of the keys to reduce the reach to a fourth manual, for example.
Richard S Hedgebeth
Westminster Organ Works
Authorized Hauptwerk reseller
http://Westminsterorganworks.com

kwbmusic

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 6:25 pm

I managed to get four keyboards with only having to install three. The third keyboard is a Roland PCR800 which has a lower/upper button allowing for the use of the fourth keyboard by touching one button. I'm a very amateur organ player and so this set up works well.
The point in bringing it to notice is as a possible save from complex cabinet work.
Keith

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI