It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 am

Aristide No. 1 v2 Available Now

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

chr.schmitz

PostSat Feb 03, 2018 6:50 am

Aristide No. 1 is a composite sample set, which tries to imitate the sound of the great Aristide Cavaillé-Coll organ at Saint-Ouen in Rouen, France.

We are currently working on a major update for Aristide No. 1. The requirements will be slightly lower as for v1, as we reconstructed the Rouen mixtures rank by rank using ranks from Caen and Metz. Saint Maximin, which gave the mixtures in v1, will not be required anymore.

Recordings of the upcoming v2 can be found on my website. http://hauptwerk-organ.com/commercial/aristide/

Thorsten Wege recorded well known French romantic organ works, which can be also found on CB, where he played the same works on GSCC. This allows a direct comparison of both sample sets. Thorsten Wege was also the main voicer of the new, exchanged and expanded ranks.

A preliminary manual, which will be included in v2, can be already downloaded: http://bit.ly/2Fqei5F. In the manual, we try to explain, why this sample set sounds slightly different than the 2 main sets, from which this set is built (Caen and Metz).

Before final release, we may make some further (minor) changes. Stay tuned!
Chris
Last edited by chr.schmitz on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

adri

Re: Aristide No. 1 v2

PostSun Feb 04, 2018 9:12 am

If I may, a few "why's":

Why no regular 16', 8' and 4' reeds on the Grand Orgue (now only horizontals)

Why no Plein Jeu on the Recit?

Why no regular 16' reed on the Reit?

Why no Flute Harmonique on the Recit?

Why no Flute 16 on the Bombarde?

Why no narrower stringstop 16' in the Pedale?

Why no softer reeds on Grand Orgue and Bombarde?

These are my why's; other than than that first impressions are good, grand. But like to hear it also in more moderate registrations and with solo stops (reeds and flues).

Thanks. I may very well get this, but thave to buy Caen first. Have the Metz. And enough RAM.

chr.schmitz

PostSun Feb 04, 2018 9:22 am

Hello adri,

One single answer to all of your questions: The stop list and layout is taken from the famous organ at Saint Ouen in Rouen.

Chris

ludu

PostSun Feb 04, 2018 10:20 am

Another answer:
In Cavaillé-Coll’s organs, the Bombarde division is a complement to the Grand Orgue division.
Luc

chr.schmitz

PostSun Feb 04, 2018 10:54 am

Luc, you are absolutely right! Saint-Ouen is mainly a 3-manual concept. The Bombarde division contains stops generally found as "Jeux de Combinaison", which is missing at the Grand-Orgue of Saint-Ouen. The 2 Grand-Orgue chamades were probably added at a relatively late stage. One indicator is that the foot lever "Anches Grand-Orgue" is in a strange high position wedged between the other "Appel d'Anches".

Aristide No. 1 tries to imitate both sound and layout (stop positions on the screens) of this magnificent instrument.

adri

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 11:09 am

Well that answers it! Thanks, and you have something similar in St. Omer, where the Grand Orgue is in a way divided over two keyboards, but also gives you -with the Recit two Flute Harmoniques and two Basson-Hautbois stops, which is very handy.

Martijn70

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 3:37 pm

adri wrote:If I may, a few "why's":
Why no regular 16' reed on the Recit?
Why no Flute Harmonique on the Recit?

The Tuba Magna 16' is the regular reed, it is just an 'normal' full length (!, no mitering) Bombarde 16'.
There is a harmonic flute in the recit, but it is called Flûte Traversière.

regards,
Martijn

chr.schmitz

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 4:38 am

Dear All,

Aristide No. 1 v2 is now finally available.

Further information, a link to the free manual and selected sound samples can be found here:

https://hauptwerk-organ.com/commercial/aristide/

I would like to express my gratitude to Thorsten Wege, who voiced the exchanged ranks of Aristide No. 1 v2 and gave the whole set the "final polish".

Chris

chr.schmitz

Re: Aristide No. 1 v2 Available Now

PostSat Apr 28, 2018 4:04 am

Today version 2.02 of Aristide No. 1 was released.

Changelog:

Improved swell box parameters (I would like to thank Aida de Brake for helping me to find the right parameters.)
Slightly improved voicing (I would like to thank Thorsten Wege for his continuous support).

UndaMaris

PostSat Apr 28, 2018 11:25 am

I haven’t got a clue what Aristide is. Could somebody please explain to me what it is? It would be very helpful if the person who starts a new thread explains in their first post what it is they are talking about for the average Hauptwerk user like me who is not part of the “in-crowd”.

chr.schmitz

PostSat Apr 28, 2018 11:29 am

Hello UndaMaris,

Aristide No. 1 is a composite sample set, which tries to imitate the sound of the great Aristide Cavaillé-Coll organ at Saint-Ouen in Rouen, France.

You can find further information and screenshots on my website: https://www.hauptwerk-organ.com/aristide

Hope that answers your question!

Yours,
Chris

UndaMaris

PostSat Apr 28, 2018 5:20 pm

Many thanks! It’s much clearer now and I’m glad you’ve edited the first post to help people like me understand what the topic is about.

Cavaillé-Cool

PostMon May 21, 2018 3:04 pm

Hello Chris,

Aristide No. 1 v2 is the first sample set (I own several large sample sets) which gives to me the feeling to be playing in a large church. This success opens the door to try to emulate other large CC (I think to Saint Sulpice or ND in Paris).
I have just a problem with the Corno dolce 16'. In my setup, it is 16' in the first octave and 8' elsewhere. Any hint ?

Yours
Paul

chr.schmitz

PostMon May 21, 2018 3:28 pm

Hello Paul,

Good catch! This was a silly bug. But this issue is already solved in the current beta. I am currently preparing an update, which will add also some other features requested by users. Stay tuned...

Yours,
Chris

chr.schmitz

PostMon May 28, 2018 2:52 am

Based on the excellent feedback from some of our users, we have updated Aristide No. 1 v2.

Apart from some bug fixes and voicing updates, the main changes are:

• Extension of the manual and pedal compass to 61 and 32 keys, respectively
• Implementation of a simple screen
• Changing of the master coupler assignment (Man1=Div1, Man2=Div2, ...)

The update is free for all current users.

A screenshot of the new simple screen and the manual with a full description of the sample set and a changelog can be downloaded from my website https://www.hauptwerk-organ.com/aristide/.

All the best,
Chris
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments