It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:12 am

St. Mark's Glendale (SMG) 1929 E.M. Skinner released

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

OrganoPleno

Re: St. Mark's Glendale (SMG) 1929 E.M. Skinner released

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 1:00 pm

(deleted... download files are now correct)
Last edited by OrganoPleno on Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

organsRgreat

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 12:16 pm

I seem to have read somewhere that the tremolos are sampled, but I can't now find that reference. Could someone let me know please?

OrganoPleno

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 1:02 pm

organsRgreat wrote:I seem to have read somewhere that the tremolos are sampled, but I can't now find that reference. Could someone let me know please?

I have downloaded the Sample Set. Certain of the Ranks do have Sample Recordings (note by note) in their respective "trem" folders. So, the answer would be "Yes".

organsRgreat

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Thank you OrganoPleno – that's good to know. Almost twice as much work for the creator of the sample set, but I find sampled trems sound more authentic.

Somewhat off-topic, but looking at the screenshots, I see that those of the right-hand jambs show beside the manuals a pencil identical with the ones I use. Half a world apart, yet somewhere in America a fellow organist is annotating his music with the same pencils that I use in England!

OrganoPleno

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 8:05 pm

organsRgreat wrote:Thank you OrganoPleno – that's good to know. Almost twice as much work for the creator of the sample set, but I find sampled trems sound more authentic.

I checked the downloaded samples more thoroughly. There is a control for Trem on Swell, on Great, and on Choir. But the actual sampled Trems are only found on the following ranks:

8' RohrFlute
4' Harmonic (or Triangular) Flute
8' Cornopean
8' Oboe
8' Vox hum.
8' Clarinet (on choir)

So five ranks on Swell, and one on Choir. The rest of the Organ uses synthetic emulation for Trems.

jerrynazard

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 10:46 pm

organsRgreat wrote:Thank you OrganoPleno – that's good to know. Almost twice as much work for the creator of the sample set, but I find sampled trems sound more authentic.

Somewhat off-topic, but looking at the screenshots, I see that those of the right-hand jambs show beside the manuals a pencil identical with the ones I use. Half a world apart, yet somewhere in America a fellow organist is annotating his music with the same pencils that I use in England!

That is most likely the inimitable Ron Barnett, organist titulaire. A very fine musician.

organsRgreat

PostFri Mar 09, 2018 6:01 am

OrganoPleno: Thanks – it's helpful to have such exact information. Fortunately those are the stops on which I'd most want sampled trems.

jerrynazard: Nice to know I'm in such exalted company!

organsRgreat

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 1:45 pm

“it is surround with also an ambiance slider that is user adjustable”.

In case anyone else is wondering where the ambiance controls are – you have to choose the “Right” stop screen from the options shown at the top of the display.

Presumably Pedal Divide allows different stops to be set in different parts of the pedalboard? How does this work on the Demo version?

Thanks!

chr.schmitz

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 1:55 pm

Unfortunately, pedal divide does not work properly in the demo version. The bug fix did not (yet) make it into the demo.

Pedal Divide works as follows: if it is engaged, C to c#0 play the selected pedal stops, and d0 to g1 play all stops, which are coupled to the pedal, but not the pedal stops itself.

Hope that helps!
Chris

organsRgreat

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 6:54 am

Not to worry – it's helpful to understand the principle. Thanks for the explanation :)

dcaton

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 7:22 am

Any comments from someone who has this set? The demo is not at all useful. The pedal doesn't work and there's only a very small handful of great and swell stops that actually work. And as someone else pointed out, what's with the intra manual couplers on the choir? There's no functional stops in the choir.

A demo with all stops functional that stopped working after a couple of minutes would be far useful for evaluation purposes, in my opinion. Also, the purchase page makes it very clear that there are no refunds.

It's not a terribly expensive set, but still, there are only four demo recordings so I'd like some comments or advice from anyone who has actually used this set. I'm looking for a American classic organ and have considered the SP Aeolian, the 83 Schantz from Evensong and the 69 Schantz from Organ Expressions, but they are all a bit dry for my taste. I know I can add reverb, but I'm still building out my console and don't really need something else to fiddle with right now.

mnailor

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 7:49 am

dcaton wrote:Any comments from someone who has this set? The demo is not at all useful. The pedal doesn't work and there's only a very small handful of great and swell stops that actually work. And as someone else pointed out, what's with the intra manual couplers on the choir? There's no functional stops in the choir.

A demo with all stops functional that stopped working after a couple of minutes would be far useful for evaluation purposes, in my opinion. Also, the purchase page makes it very clear that there are no refunds.

It's not a terribly expensive set, but still, there are only four demo recordings so I'd like some comments or advice from anyone who has actually used this set. I'm looking for a American classic organ and have considered the SP Aeolian, the 83 Schantz from Evensong and the 69 Schantz from Organ Expressions, but they are all a bit dry for my taste. I know I can add reverb, but I'm still building out my console and don't really need something else to fiddle with right now.

I do have this set and had already posted what I think of it in this thread, so I'll just add that the reverb is more than SP Aeolian-Skinner or Rosales, but less than MDA Skinner. It suits the instrument, and is controlled by sliders.

steverose

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 3:39 pm

dcaton wrote:Any comments from someone who has this set? The demo is not at all useful. The pedal doesn't work and there's only a very small handful of great and swell stops that actually work. And as someone else pointed out, what's with the intra manual couplers on the choir? There's no functional stops in the choir.

I have only started playing with it, but my first impressions are as follows. This definitely has more reverb than both the SP and the Evensong. The stops of the historic console are quite nice and fitting IMHO of a Skinner. I love the Flute Celeste, French horn, Clarinet and the Harp. These are to me what set it apart from the Aeolian Skinner, but then they are two different makers. The Zimblestern is also nice, on the SP that stop is too quiet and needed to be turned up. The Schantz is a nice organ, but to me is more Neo-baroque than either of the others. This in fact was why I purchased the Schantz, for my first Baroque (silly American) sample. But should anybody get me wrong, the SP is a phenomenal sample set and is my go to organ by default.

OrganoPleno

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 9:18 pm

dcaton wrote:Any comments from someone who has this set? I'm looking for a American classic organ...

I find this to be a beautiful Sample Set, a delight to play with real Skinner sounds. For me, a dream come true.

Maybe too early to be called "American Classic", but an outstanding representative of an important era in American Organ Building.

A fine addition to any Hauptwerk system.

telemanr

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 10:46 pm

I’m enjoying it too.
Rob Enns
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments