It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 am

Extended Friesach Organ

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

ldeutsch

Extended Friesach Organ

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Everyone,

I have created an extended version of Piotr Grabowski's Friesach Organ. Piotr has made his excellent samples of this Eisenbarth organ available for free on his website: https://www.piotrgrabowski.pl/friesach.html. My extended version adds a complete Positive division as well as a small number of additional ranks that I thought would be useful - at least to me!

I have really enjoyed playing these samples. They are very bright with lots of presence and definition, despite being in a large acoustic environment.

As usual, my version of this organ is also available for free and you can find it here:

http://www.nightbloomingjazzmen.com/Les_Friesach_Ext_Organ.html

Of Course you will need to install the original Friesach samples first - heeding Piotr's license as described on his web site.

Have fun with this, I certainly am!

Les

Lougheed

Re: Extended Friesach Organ

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 7:30 pm

Thank you, Les, for this extension!

I've installed and am trying things out. (AGO layout and left and right touch screen support it SO appreciated!!!).

I find the overall amplitude level very low compared with the original Friesach. (But also found the original very low compared with my other Hauptwerk instruments).

I haven't yet figured out what the mysterious CH TO PO 8' coupler does.

ldeutsch

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 11:49 pm

Aha! You have discovered the first error -0 though it is only a typo. Ch to Po should be Po to Sw. It is simply a mislabeling and it appears only on the jamb display,ay. It is correct on the console display.

I'll log this as a future change - but I'll wait for more substantive problems before issuing a patch.

I have no problem with the volume on my own HW console. Just pump up the dBs in the volume adjustment. I agree that these samples are quieter than some other sets - but this is not a problem.

Les

Erzahler

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 12:31 am

I have set the Trim to 0.0dB and the volume of softer stops now seems OK.
Oh and make sure you are up to date with the latest ODF 1.04.

DaveMax

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 4:08 am

Les,

Thank you for your contribution to the HW community with this enhanced Friesach. If you do a future version, consider a couple of spelling issues on stops: pedal Unterstatz is probably Untersatz and Positif Gamaba Celeste should be Gamba Celeste.
What are the three unlabeled couplers for?
Any chance of portrait screens for left and right jambs?
Friesach is a wonderful organ and your extension adds more value to it. We should all support Piotr for his fine sampling work.

Lougheed

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 6:16 am

ldeutsch wrote:Aha! You have discovered the first error -0 though it is only a typo. Ch to Po should be Po to Sw. It is simply a mislabeling and it appears only on the jamb display,ay. It is correct on the console display.

I'll log this as a future change - but I'll wait for more substantive problems before issuing a patch.

I have no problem with the volume on my own HW console. Just pump up the dBs in the volume adjustment. I agree that these samples are quieter than some other sets - but this is not a problem.

Les

Ah, PO to SW. Of course. :-)

ldeutsch

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 10:15 am

Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

I am a mathematician and spelling was never my strong suit! In fact, its actually worse than this. My specialty within math is the study of error-correcting codes. This is a branch of math where, essentially, we study how getting spelling close enough can be good enough. These codes are the things that allow us to send digital messages over noisy systems and still get the right answer in the end. They are used routinely in Internet communications, satellite TV, and even on audio CD recordings. In my own case, it is how we can get images back from spacecraft at other plants or even, in the case of Voyager, from interstellar space.

I am logging all these errors and will fix everything when I do an update in the future. In the meantime, as long as the organ plays and sounds correctly, I am satisfied.

The blank tabs are physical switches on my Rodgers console that I not using in this particular virtual organ. In this way, I can use a lot of the same CODM code in other projects. I am treating them in much the same way pipe organ builders use blank stops and couplers - for future expansion possibilities.

Les

costasnicolaidis

PostSat Mar 17, 2018 7:06 am

Congratulations very nice work i canot make the combinations of registers save i tworks only for positive nothing for the others can you inform me thankyou very mouch

engrssc

PostSat Mar 17, 2018 8:13 am

Permit me to add my thanks to you, Les, for your work here as well as so many other "extensions" to the Hauptwerk and music world in general

Really incredible all told. :) 8)

Rgds,
Ed

organplayer

PostSat Mar 17, 2018 2:16 pm

Hi, I tried to download the ODF 1.04 as proposed. But the link above in this thread offers only V. 1.0. Also when I tried to install the RAR, Hauptwerk told me that the file is corrupt. Hhhhm, what's going wrong?

ludu

PostSat Mar 17, 2018 4:43 pm

You will find the correct link on this page:
http://www.piotrgrabowski.pl/friesach.html
Luc

organplayer

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 9:16 am

Sorry, a misunderstanding happened. I thought there should be a Version 1.04 of the Extended (!) Friesach ODF.

James

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 10:06 am

Les-I have just downloaded the update and your extension, and I must say it is magnificent! The clarity of the instrument and your extension is wonderful. Thank you for this. Also, thank you Piotr Grabowski for the sampling of this excellent instrument.
James

costasnicolaidis

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 4:41 am

HELP ........ Extended Friesach please how it is possible to make combinations of the registri of this wonderful extension it seems that only positive is working .

ldeutsch

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 9:29 am

I will check the combination save issue tonight - although I am using the same code for this that I use in my other organs so I am quite surprised that there is a problem.

Has anyone else experienced the problem with not being able to same the combinations?

Les
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments