It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 am

Selling samples sets

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

ChrisKeller

Selling samples sets

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 11:52 am

Hello, I am currently asking myself if it is possible to sell sample sets in the case I do not need them anymore; especially the dongle protected ones. Is there a way to transfer the dongle autorization to somebodey else?

mdyde

Re: Selling samples sets

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 12:18 pm

Hello Chris,

We (Milan Digital Audio) do allow our sample sets to be re-sold privately (but not advertised for sale on this forum), and some other sample set producers have end-user licence agreements that allow private re-sale too, but not all. (I don't think Sonus Paradisi do, for example.) If in doubt, please check with the maker(s) of the relevant sample set(s).

If you do sell a sample set (by a maker who allows re-sale) then please contact us privately and we will arrange with you to update your USB key to remove the sample set's licence from it, and with the buyer to update his/her key to enable it.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ChrisKeller

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 3:19 pm

Thank you, Martin, for information :D

engrssc

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 8:31 pm

There have been several sets offered on eBay from time to time.

Rgds,
Ed

dhm

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 3:34 am

engrssc wrote:There have been several sets offered on eBay from time to time.

Ed

And many of these, sadly, have been illegal copies of Sonus Paradisi sets. :(
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

engrssc

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 4:02 am

Ebay should be able to go after these individuals. I've found eBay to be very responsive to any illegal activity if notified.

Rgds,
Ed

dhm

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 4:20 am

Jiri told me he had been in touch with eBay several times, with some success, but many of the eBay posts were from a person whose Forum posts Martin had to delete a couple of months ago.
Douglas Henn-Macrae

sonar11

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 4:19 pm

If you're selling the original sample from SP, with the DVD's/USB stick, then I don't think there is an issue? As long as you're not selling burned copies, and only selling the original media. I don't think it's legal in either Canada or USA to prevent users from selling their items? That would never be able to be enforced in court.

dhm

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 4:36 pm

Just to clarify: My post above, about illegal sales of SP sample-sets, was referring to one or more person(s) who were offering pirated copies of unencrypted sample-sets, thereby depriving Jiri of payment.
Douglas Henn-Macrae

mdyde

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 3:49 am

sonar11 wrote:If you're selling the original sample from SP, with the DVD's/USB stick, then I don't think there is an issue?

Hello Sonar11,

It's probably best to check that directly with Jiri (Sonus Paradisi). Their licence agreement is on their website here: http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/terms-and-conditions-of-contract
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

sjkartchner

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 9:23 am

sonar11 wrote:If you're selling the original sample from SP, with the DVD's/USB stick, then I don't think there is an issue? As long as you're not selling burned copies, and only selling the original media. I don't think it's legal in either Canada or USA to prevent users from selling their items? That would never be able to be enforced in court.

Here is a discussion of the issue: https://www.wilmerhale.com/pages/publicationsandnewsdetail.aspx?NewsPubId=92555. Note that this was from 2001. And here is an even more lengthy discussion including tranfer restrictions: http://apps.americanbar.org/buslaw/blt/2003-07-08/bullock.html.

I wouldn't be so certain that transfer restrictions are unenforceable, although the California case discussed at the first link certainly illustrates some of the potential nuances affecting the outcome of the analysis.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

josq

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 9:53 am

Under EU jurisdiction, resale of software licenses is legal, as established by the EU court in 2012. See http://www.computerweekly.com/opinion/E ... d-software for a brief summary. I don't know what your legal position is if you are outside the EU.

Concerning Sonus Paradisi, some of their sample sets are unencrypted, particularly the older ones. These sample sets are vulnerable to illegal copying. Resale of these sample sets is not supported, so you won't get updates as a second-hand buyer. I think the part of the license agreement that prohibits resale is void under EU law, but of course, selling a copy and retaining the original is piracy, illegal and criminal.

Most of the more recent sample sets are encrypted/dongle protected, and can be officially transferred to others via your personal account on the Sonus Paradisi website. A small administrative fee is applied to this procedure.

Most other sample set producers have encrypted sample sets with similar provisions.

Erzahler

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 6:17 pm

How/where can samples for sale or wanted be advertised legitimately? Eg. if some wanted the Wilhelm Sauer - 1904 OAM sample.

Erzahler

PostWed May 02, 2018 8:51 pm

Would anyone with NOTRE DAME DE METZ that they are not now using like to PM me about a possible sale. MDA do allow resale of sets. Thanks

Erzahler

PostThu May 03, 2018 5:13 pm

Metz is on the way to me. Thankyou everyone.
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments