It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

Is anyone using the Ikea Bekant desk?

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Dnsmo

Is anyone using the Ikea Bekant desk?

PostFri Mar 09, 2018 2:40 pm

I'm considering getting an Ikea Bekant 63-inch desk to serve as the keydesk for my VPO.

The width of my pedalboard at the console end is 53.5 inches. Is there sufficient inner width between the legs of the Bekant to accommodate that dimension? (I hope to find one at a nearby Ikea to measure for myself.)

Also, I'd like to know from Bekant users how sturdy the desk is. Is there much wobble?

Does the adjustable height of the table top work well?

Finally, is the cable management net that is supplied for use under the table top a useful feature?

Thanks.

Dennis
Dennis

Andrew Grahame

Re: Is anyone using the Ikea Bekant desk?

PostSat Mar 10, 2018 4:59 am

Bekant appears to have replaced Galant, which was the table I purchased in 2009 for my console. It's been great from the outset. I got mine wide enough to easily span the pedalboard. The adjustable legs look different though from the ones in the current IKEA catalog - mine has four separate angled legs - so I can't comment on how stable the current type are. I also purchased the matching rack which suspends from the table to support the PC. I thought about purchasing the cable tray but in the end I didn't - though I can see how it would be handy. If the current style of legs are suitably stable and you get a desk top wide enough, I don't see a problem.

Andrew

Dnsmo

PostSat Mar 10, 2018 10:57 am

Andrew Grahame wrote:If the current style of legs are suitably stable and you get a desk top wide enough, I don't see a problem.

Indeed, Andrew. Thanks for sharing your Galant desk experience.

I've seen the Bekant mentioned in this forum only a couple of times, but no reports yet on how suitable it might be as a keydesk.

I hope to see one in person tomorrow and measure the inner width under the desk between the legs to see if it can accommodate the widest point of my pedalboard.

Since, as you mentioned, the A frame legs of the Galant differ from the inverted T of the Bekant, I fear that the Galant can't be used as a basis for comparison.

Dennis
Dennis

magnaton

PostSat Mar 10, 2018 10:26 pm

OrganTechnology has a modified Bekant desk for Hauptwerk! It's basically the Bekant adjustable support frame attached to a custom keydesk (table top). From past experience, expect their version to surpass the standard IKEA offering. :-)

http://organtechnology.com/2016/02/21/coming-soon-new-console-components-from-organtechnology/

Danny B.

organtechnology

PostSat Mar 10, 2018 11:13 pm

Hi Dnsmo,

The stock Bekant desk is only 49" between the inside of the legs. Our version has a metal insert in the frame to increase this distance to 54". That will make the 63" top too short I believe. So a custom top is then required.

Thomas

Dnsmo wrote:I'm considering getting an Ikea Bekant 63-inch desk to serve as the keydesk for my VPO.

The width of my pedalboard at the console end is 53.5 inches. Is there sufficient inner width between the legs of the Bekant to accommodate that dimension? (I hope to find one at a nearby Ikea to measure for myself.)

Also, I'd like to know from Bekant users how sturdy the desk is. Is there much wobble?

Does the adjustable height of the table top work well?

Finally, is the cable management net that is supplied for use under the table top a useful feature?

Thanks.

Dennis
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Jeff C

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 4:45 am

I have the same dilemma as you, and have been looking at the suitability of the Bekant desk, although I have not managed a visit to Ikea as yet. Initially I did look on eBay for a used Galant desk although, at the time, there were non within a reasonable distance of me here in the UK.

However, you may find the following link from the Ikea website to be of interest:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49110931/

The 'Thyge' desk looks like the 'Galant' in all but name although, as Thomas has suggested, it may need to be modified to cope with your pedalboard. Given that it has 'A' frame legs however, it should be sturdier than the Bekant and therefore a better choice.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Dnsmo

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 9:50 am

Thanks Danny and Thomas for making us aware of this modified Bekant desk. The 54 inches between the support legs would allow just enough room for my pedalboard.

Do you find that the inverted-T legs of the stretched Bekant frame are wobble-free, even without a cross member?

Thomas, what are the dimensions of the custom top you provide with your modified Bekant frame?

Dennis
Dennis

Dnsmo

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 9:55 am

Jeff C wrote:The 'Thyge' desk looks like the 'Galant' in all but name although, as Thomas has suggested, it may need to be modified to cope with your pedalboard. Given that it has 'A' frame legs however, it should be sturdier than the Bekant and therefore a better choice.

Jeff, this is useful information for my trip to Ikea today. However, if the Thyge only comes in the 47.25-inch width, the spacing between the legs is bound to be narrower, ruling it out.

Dennis
Dennis

engrssc

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 12:10 pm

Dnsmo wrote:However, if the Thyge only comes in the 47.25-inch width, the spacing between the legs is bound to be narrower, ruling it out.

You might consider replacing the top with something wider to match your pedal board spacing requirements. Sometimes you can find a solid core door that can be cut to size.such as at a lumber yard. There are some lumber yards that could/would cut it to size for you. In that case, you would fasten thr legs from the above Ikea table to to it.

Ebay has some for sale, but for the most part, the door would need to be picked up. I use a local cabinet (maker) shop to cut lumber material for me. In my case, his cutting price is very reasonable. I've made friends with him by occasionally bringing some donuts for he and his employees. Amazing what those small gestures will do. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

Dnsmo

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 8:43 pm

engrssc wrote:You might consider replacing the top with something wider to match your pedal board spacing requirements. Sometimes you can find a solid core door that can be cut to size.such as at a lumber yard. There are some lumber yards that could/would cut it to size for you. In that case, you would fasten the legs from the above Ikea table to to it.

Ed, that's a creative solution. But, if I understand you correctly, you're suggesting using the Thyge legs without the frame that goes with them. It seems to me that the frame is absolutely necessary as part of the support structure. So even if I used a different table top, I'd still have the same too-narrow spacing of the legs if I incorporated the Thyge frame in my design.

However, you gave me an idea. I know of a seller here in Chicago who is offering Galant frames, with the adjustable legs attached, but no tops. Perhaps I could aquire one of those and do what you're suggesting. It might even work with the current Bekant desk top, thus affording the minimum 54-inch spacing of the legs I need.

Dennis
Dennis

engrssc

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 11:05 pm

Hi Dennis,

Another possibility would be to cut the frame of Bekant, basically at a midpoint (left to right) and anchor (screw) the remaining half sections to the "new" top (solid door for example). The solid door, if that were to be used, could most likely support the weight of the keyboards, etc. If there was concern, you could add some angle iron across the entire span, altho I thing that would be overkill. Looking at some commercial organ key desks, most are relatively only supported by the end (side) uprights, many made of wood with no special support to the center.

It sounds as if your "creative juices" are flowing. That's pretty much a key factor in any Hauptwerk experience.

It's pretty neat how many different and creative versions of Hauptwerk there are.
On Facebook Hauptwerk Virtual Organs Users. You can "Next" (click on the white arrows - mouse down on either left or right side of the pictures) to see some of them. and maybe get further ideas. 8) All are creative in one way or another. :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207881712439151&set=g.42378139859&type=1&theater&ifg=1

Rgds,
Ed

UndaMaris

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 5:42 am

I recently bought the IKEA Thyge desk in the UK. I’ve just measured the distance between the legs and it’s 55 inches. However, I looked on the US IKEA site and the Thyge sold there is indeed much narrower! I notice that there are the narrower ones for sale secondhand in the UK, so maybe the wider one is a more recent product and will be available in the US in due course. Perhaps you should contact IKEA and ask if they plan to supply the larger one. It’s certainly a very sturdy desk and has a weight load limit of 100 kgs. Perhaps you can find a way of importing one from the UK - it’s only £79 new.

Dnsmo

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 11:49 am

UndaMaris wrote:I recently bought the IKEA Thyge desk in the UK. I’ve just measured the distance between the legs and it’s 55 inches. However, I looked on the US IKEA site and the Thyge sold there is indeed much narrower! I notice that there are the narrower ones for sale secondhand in the UK, so maybe the wider one is a more recent product and will be available in the US in due course. Perhaps you should contact IKEA and ask if they plan to supply the larger one. It’s certainly a very sturdy desk and has a weight load limit of 100 kgs. Perhaps you can find a way of importing one from the UK - it’s only £79 new.

Hi, UndaMaris. Thanks for this information. Indeed, the UK Thyge is 160cm x 80cm (pretty close to the dimensions of the Galant), as opposed to 120cm x 60cm for the US version. I will certainly ask IKEA if this will be offered here in the US.

Does it only come in white? I'd prefer a dark desktop.

Dennis
Dennis

magnaton

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 1:13 pm

Dnsmo wrote:
Does it only come in white? I'd prefer a dark desktop.

Dennis

As you know Ikea is assemble-it-yourself so you might be to buy just the frame and pick up a sheet of 1/2" plywood at your home improvement store, they usually will cut to size for you as it may be no more than 2 cuts. Then you can paint or stain it as you desire.

I have the 63" Galant table and the top is simply attached with wood screws.

Danny B.

Dnsmo

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 2:24 pm

magnaton wrote:As you know Ikea is assemble-it-yourself so you might be to buy just the frame and pick up a sheet of 1/2" plywood at your home improvement store, they usually will cut to size for you as it may be no more than 2 cuts. Then you can paint or stain it as you desire.

I have the 63" Galant table and the top is simply attached with wood screws.

Thanks, Danny; that's a good idea. In that case, I could buy a Galant frame, rather than the too-narrow Thyge, and find my own top. Am I correct in assuming the discontinued Galant desktop was 160cm x 80cm, or 63" by 31.5"?

Unfortunately, Ikea does not currently sell a frame in the U.S. that allows for 55" between the legs. But Galant desks and frames are readily available used.

Dennis
Dennis
Next

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI