It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 am

Peterborough cathedral virtual organ

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

rauschzimbel3

Peterborough cathedral virtual organ

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 11:35 pm

Does anyone have an update on the Peterborough cathedral Hauptwerk instrument being developed by Audio Angelorum? Their website <https://www.audioangelorum.com> comes up as not secure because the certificate has expired. The warnings on Chrome and iPhone discourage me from looking further.

The Peterborough organ is an excellent example of the the work of Hill and could be a very good alternative to the Salisbury set if well done.

Erzahler

Re: Peterborough cathedral virtual organ

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 12:49 am

That one seems to have gone quiet but Silver Octopus might have a Cathedral Organ in the works.
http://www.silveroctopus.co.uk/news.htm

Trenchardb

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 7:33 am

I can confirm that work on the Peterborough sample set is still underway! I’m afraid that it’s taken longer than originally planned, as I have been working on other priorities over the last year. However, I am now 100% back on the case, and I intend to make good progress in the coming months.

At this point, I have a playable stereo copy of the entire organ, but there is still much work to complete the complete odf with final graphics, and to complete the multichannel sample processing. The results so far are excellent, and I will make it a priority to update my website to keep you all up to date with my progress.

In the meantime, please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.

rauschzimbel3

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 12:51 pm

Great news! The Peterborough organ, renovated in 1980/1 by Harrison and Harrison to approach the character of the 1894 William Hill & Son organ, provides a very important counterpart, in a more classical style, to the Willis cathedral organs. The 1930 Norman and Beard work greatly extended the orchestral possibilities, making this organ an intriguing combination of classical and high-Romantic orchestral styles. H&H have done superb conservation work on the instrument. This set may therefore provide an excellent contrast to the Hereford and Salisbury sets, hopefully with the latest advances in acoustical perspective adjustability.

The Armley Schulze appears to be an excellent set, but it is a very unusual instrument. The Peterborough organ is much more in the mainline English cathedral tradition, and therefore potentially a much better instrument for interpreting the full range of 19th-21st-century English organ music.

CWEB

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 4:18 pm

I certainly await this with great interest. I wonder what the computing requirements will be for the stereo set?

1961TC4ME

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 9:49 pm

rauschzimbel3 wrote:
The Armley Schulze appears to be an excellent set, but it is a very unusual instrument. The Peterborough organ is much more in the mainline English cathedral tradition, and therefore potentially a much better instrument for interpreting the full range of 19th-21st-century English organ music.

The Armley Schulze is indeed an excellent set and is in fact not an 'English' instrument, nor was it intended to be one regardless of its location. In what regard do you find it very unusual? Play it for yourself first, then tell me if it's not one of the best and most enjoyable sets to hit Hauptwerk in recent times. It's one of the few to come along that covers several bases and then some.

Marc

Trenchardb

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 5:44 pm

I won’t know the exact memory requirements until i have the final release version, but as a guide, the stereo version currently being tested will just load on a pc with 16Gb of ram if you only load the first loop in each rank at 16bit 48khz. There is almost no use of extensions on the instrument, and the building has around 6 second reverb, so it was always going to be a little memory hungry! But I hope that keeping it small enough to load within16Gb (including the os and hauptwerk) will be acceptable for most users.

Erzahler

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 9:57 pm

Here is the current specification and final Youtube clip of re-pitching process. Organ is IV/89.
http://www.harrisonorgans.com/wp-conten ... c-2017.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjKdL-kjqwI

IainStinson

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 5:35 am

The specification given in the pdf on the Harrison Organs website shows that the Tuba Mirabilis (solo), Sesquialtera (choir) and 16 Open Diapason Wood (Pedal) were added in 2016 presumably at the same time as the re pitching the organ. The samples were made as a record of the organ before the re pitching took place. Willl the sample set include these additions or will it be of pre 2016 instrument?

Iain

chr.schmitz

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 5:38 am

This sample set will be fantastic! About a year ago I had the privilege to hear a very early alpha version. I was blown away!

Chris

dhm

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 1:54 pm

IainStinson wrote:The specification given in the pdf on the Harrison Organs website shows that the Tuba Mirabilis (solo), Sesquialtera (choir) and 16 Open Diapason Wood (Pedal) were added in 2016 presumably at the same time as the re pitching the organ. The samples were made as a record of the organ before the re pitching took place. Willl the sample set include these additions or will it be of pre 2016 instrument?
Iain

I'm sure Ben Trenchard will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding (from Ben's presentation in Peterborough last summer) is that recordings were done both before and after the re-pitching, and that both would be available in Hauptwerk.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

adri

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 5:37 pm

this video explains about the sampling process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OogqIs7kMDE

Erzahler

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 8:07 pm

Ben Tenchard said this awhile ago;
''In addition to being fully recorded prior to it's repitch, a significant proportion of the instrument has been re-recorded after the pitch change, potentially allowing us to make available Hauptwerk sample set versions of both the old and new specifications (including the new Hill Style Tuba Mirabilis)."

Lougheed

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 8:45 pm

adri wrote:this video explains about the sampling process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OogqIs7kMDE

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Trenchardb

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 1:57 pm

Yes, I can confirm that the tonal changes (and a number of other ranks which were already recorded prior to the repitch) have been resampled at the new pitch, allowing for both specifications (at either pitch) to be created.
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments