It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:51 am

A way to query the current registration?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

aah

A way to query the current registration?

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 1:29 pm

I'm developing an app which communicates with Hauptwerk, which sends notes and registration changes via MIDI according to Hauptwerk's sequencer definition xml files.

I'm now looking for a way to query Hauptwerk to get info about the current registration, when a user has set that in Hauptwerk and not in my app. What I would like to have is a way to send a MIDI query to Hauptwerk which would result in Hauptwerk sending out a MIDI data dump telling me what the registration is. I guess there must be something like this, but I can't seem to find it in the docs.

If nothing like that is available, I would like to instead access the information on the clipboard when a user selects Registration > Copy registration to clipboard. This would of course only be possible if that function uses the OS clipboard, as data on the OS clipboard is available to any app as long as the app knows what to look for on the clipboard. I would also need to know how to decode that data of course.

Thanks for your help!

mdyde

Re: A way to query the current registration?

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 1:51 pm

Hello Aah,

I can't think of any way that you could reliably query Hauptwerk's current registration from external software or via MIDI, I'm afraid. Hauptwerk intentionally doesn't re-send MIDI output for stops since it would normally add unnecessary MIDI traffic (and MIDI has low bandwidth), and since re-sending states could actually result in incorrect states for toggle-type MIDI implementations. Hauptwerk doesn't use the Windows clipboard for its registration.

However, as long as both Hauptwerk and your software start from all-off states (e.g. by ensuring that the user has clicked the 'Reset' button on Hauptwerk's 'Audio, MIDI and performance' large control panel), then the two systems should stay in synchronisation anyway, since Hauptwerk will send always MIDI appropriate output from a virtual stop whenever it actually changes state by the user clicking on it, or when changing its state from a combination.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

aah

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 2:12 pm

mdyde wrote:... as long as both Hauptwerk and your software start from all-off states (e.g. by ensuring that the user has clicked the 'Reset' button on Hauptwerk's 'Audio, MIDI and performance' large control panel), then the two systems should stay in synchronisation anyway, since Hauptwerk will send always MIDI appropriate output from a virtual stop whenever it actually changes state by the user clicking on it, or when changing its state from a combination.

Aha, too bad we can't make a query, but following your advice above is almost as good. Thanks! :)

mdyde

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 2:42 pm

Thanks, Aah.

You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support