It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:01 am

help writing scores for improvisations

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

costasnicolaidis

help writing scores for improvisations

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 7:21 am

Hi folks , three pieces that i played in metz organ Hauptwerk are selected by the Greek archive of contemporary music . but they need the scores.
can someone please help me in this mater ? they are not recorded in midi unfortunately
Thanks Costas
https://soundcloud.com/nicolaidiscostas ... 2014-04-23 https://soundcloud.com/nicolaidiscostas ... -2010-07-7
https://soundcloud.com/nicolaidiscostas ... 2013-03-26

mdyde

Re: help writing scores for improvisations

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 8:15 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

UndaMaris

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 6:31 pm

I’m not sure that I understand what you are saying, but if you are asking for help in transcribing an improvisation then I’m afraid you are going to have to write down what you have played in musical notation. There is no computer programme that can successfully transcribe anything other than a very simple melody, unless you originally played it into a programme like Sibelius, and even then you are likely to run into huge problems, unless you play like a robot. Also, I thought the whole point of an improvisation was that it is just that. If you write it down it is no longer an improvisation, although quite a few composers have called pieces they have written “improvisations”, e.g. Karg-Elert.

adri

PostSat May 12, 2018 12:39 am

Even IF you had a MIDI file, turning it into written notes is a nightmare, as any program that converts it, doesn't understand tempo (unless it's robot-like metronome perfect), and you would have to make lots of manual adjustments.

You would simply have to listen and then write down what you played (if possible). I believe that there are people who can do this very well, but it would cost you probably a pretty penny. Who they are, I don't know.

I agree with the statement that an improvisation is a one-time thing. But some are so good, they are like written music. And deserve to be written music.

If you can play the improv again, and record a MIDI file of it at the same time, then you have more to start with than having only an audio.

Good luck; I understand your dilemma, as I have improvisations I would like to have converted to printed notes as well. Still have no idea how to do this easily.

Return to Performance practice