It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:16 am

Is anyone using the Ikea Bekant desk?

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

UndaMaris

Re: Is anyone using the Ikea Bekant desk?

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 7:16 pm

By the way, I bought the Thyge to use when I want to transport my Hauptwerk setup to another location, because I don’t want to dismantle my existing console table which is very heavy. I made it myself. It looks very nice and was very simple to construct. It is made from 1” thick solid oak worktop. I ordered it from a company online. They cut and supplied me with three pieces of oak to my exact specification: one for the top and two for the supports, already oiled and finished. I screwed heavy duty metal brackets to the supports and then screwed these to the top. I then braced the supports at the back twice with a thinner matching oak plinth also supplied by the worktop company. I had the supports cut so that the table was the exact height I wanted, and I fixed them so that my pedalboard fitted exactly between them with just enough space on either side to allow the pedalboard to slide in or out. The table matches the oak three manual keyboard stack which I bought from Orgelhaus im Stiftland in Germany. The keyboard stack justs sits on top of the table. It’s not fixed, but does not move at all during playing. The table cost around £300 to make and was worth every penny. I would post a photo, but I cannot understand the procedure for doing so.

There’s a photo of my Hauptwerk console on the following website:

zimbelstern.simdif.com

You can see the console table I made there.
Last edited by UndaMaris on Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

magnaton

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 11:32 pm

Dnsmo wrote:Am I correct in assuming the discontinued Galant desktop was 160cm x 80cm, or 63" by 31.5"?

Unfortunately, Ikea does not currently sell a frame in the U.S. that allows for 55" between the legs. But Galant desks and frames are readily available used.

Dennis

Yes, that is the correct measurement for the one Galant model. They also had a smaller 46" version and even larger one they referred to as a conference table. I purchased my 63" version off of CL and was lucky to get the wood color I wanted plus the chrome A-Legs. When just starting out, all the pictures I found of HW Ikea 'consoles' had the adjustable A-Legs vs the T-Leg.

Danny B.

Dnsmo

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 11:53 pm

UndaMaris wrote:There’s a photo of my Hauptwerk console on the following website:

zimbelstern.simdif.com

Very handsome, UndaMaris. And the construction would be quite straightforward for someone like me of modest woodworking skills, once the properly sized pieces are acquired.

Thanks for sharing.

Dennis
Dennis

Dnsmo

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 12:01 am

magnaton wrote:
Dnsmo wrote:Am I correct in assuming the discontinued Galant desktop was 160cm x 80cm, or 63" by 31.5"?

Unfortunately, Ikea does not currently sell a frame in the U.S. that allows for 55" between the legs. But Galant desks and frames are readily available used.

Dennis

Yes, that is the correct measurement for the one Galant model. They also had a smaller 46" version and even larger one they referred to as a conference table. I purchased my 63" version off of CL and was lucky to get the wood color I wanted plus the chrome A-Legs. When just starting out, all the pictures I found of HW Ikea 'consoles' had the adjustable A-Legs vs the T-Leg.

Danny B.

I haven't been able to find an Ikea Galant table, but there is someone locally selling a Galant frame. I suppose one possibility would be to get a new Bekant tabletop and mate it to the used Galant frame, since the dimensions of the Bekant top are almost identical to those of the Galant. Then it should be a simple matter of drilling new holes in the Bekant top and attaching the Galant frame with wood screws.

Dennis
Dennis

organtechnology

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 11:10 am

Hi Dennis,

I have a Bekant frame which I am modifying to be 55 inches between the pedestal legs. I have been busy with other projects but it looks like I can make time to finish this project.

What kind of key desk top would you like to see go on it?

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Dnsmo

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 11:33 am

organtechnology wrote:Hi Dennis,

I have a Bekant frame which I am modifying to be 55 inches between the pedestal legs. I have been busy with other projects but it looks like I can make time to finish this project.

Thomas

Thanks, Thomas.

For my setup, the current Bekant desk top, unaltered, would suffice.

Have you made a prototype of the extended Bekant frame that you know to be as stable as the Galant?

I'm concerned that the inverted-T legs of the Bekant would be more prone to side-to-side wobble than a Bekant top supported by a Galant frame with the A-legs. That's why I was considering that combination, purchasing a used Galant frame, and attaching the current Bekant top.

Dennis
Dennis

organtechnology

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 1:23 pm

Dnsmo wrote:
organtechnology wrote:Hi Dennis,

Thomas

Thanks, Thomas.

For my setup, the current Bekant desk top, unaltered, would suffice.

Have you made a prototype of the extended Bekant frame that you know to be as stable as the Galant?

I'm concerned that the inverted-T legs of the Bekant would be more prone to side-to-side wobble than a Bekant top supported by a Galant frame with the A-legs. That's why I was considering that combination, purchasing a used Galant frame, and attaching the current Bekant top.

Dennis

Since this is the first one, I can't say yet. But the unaltered Bekant frame has a very solid feel with no top.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Dnsmo

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 3:42 pm

UndaMaris wrote:By the way, I bought the Thyge to use when I want to transport my Hauptwerk setup to another location, because I don’t want to dismantle my existing console table which is very heavy. I made it myself. It looks very nice and was very simple to construct. It is made from 1” thick solid oak worktop. I ordered it from a company online. They cut and supplied me with three pieces of oak to my exact specification: one for the top and two for the supports, already oiled and finished. I screwed heavy duty metal brackets to the supports and then screwed these to the top. I then braced the supports at the back twice with a thinner matching oak plinth also supplied by the worktop company. I had the supports cut so that the table was the exact height I wanted, and I fixed them so that my pedalboard fitted exactly between them with just enough space on either side to allow the pedalboard to slide in or out. The table matches the oak three manual keyboard stack which I bought from Orgelhaus im Stiftland in Germany. The keyboard stack justs sits on top of the table. It’s not fixed, but does not move at all during playing. The table cost around £300 to make and was worth every penny. I would post a photo, but I cannot understand the procedure for doing so.

There’s a photo of my Hauptwerk console on the following website:

zimbelstern.simdif.com

UndaMaris, I've sent you a PM.

Dennis
Dennis
Previous

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI