It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:41 am

Behringer or Tascam audio interface?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Behringer or Tascam audio interface?

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi All,

I'm seriously considering an upgrade of my audio interface as I'm thinking one of these has got to sound much better than my current 10+ year old technology M-Audio 1010LT.

I've been looking at these two.

Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 USB Audio Interface https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... r1|ClickCP

And the Tascam US-16x08 USB Audio Interface https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... ctads-adid^221957295818-device^c-plaid^323968843383-sku^J13884000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

Both are offered at the same rather reasonable price, but it appears that the Tascam is a bit more bare bones and a total of 8 output channels + headphone which of course could also be used as additional 2 channels for mix down, but no SPDIF, while the Behringer has some extra features such as 10 output channels and SPDIF for a total of 12, and 2 sets of headphone jacks as well.

It looks like the Tascam has some interesting built in features that are adjustable via the control panel such as EQ and so on. I'm not sure about the Behringer though and what in addition it might come with as the info I found really doesn't state anything in particular or give any details.

I've read good and bad over the years on both brands. Just wondering who here might have experience with either of these, what else can you tell me about them, good bad or otherwise, and so on?

Thanks,

Marc

adrianw

Re: Behringer or Tascam audio interface?

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 4:09 pm

one of these has got to sound much better than my current 10+ year old technology M-Audio 1010LT

Maybe not. There have been no changes in technology in this time to transform the audio quality and the 1010LT is a decent performer.

There have been many advances in packaging and integration technology, which lower cost and allow further miniaturisation, of course, but you will probably not hear any audible improvement in newer devices. And USB devices can be excellent but have their own problems.

If you don't need to for other reasons (eg driver troubles with the 1010LT or a feature of a newer device you really need) my advice would be to save your money for better speakers or headphones where you will certainly hear a difference.

ArnoldOrgans

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 10:10 pm

Over the years we have tested many interfaces and I find it safe to say they all sound different (although sometimes very minimally). I have not tried the Tascam but we use the Behringer interfaces often and consider them the best value. The U-PHORIA line has a lower output volume than the FCA series. This wouldn't be an issue for the standard home setting. We also use Focusrite and Motu interfaces regularly. My last sound tests were done with a local AGO event and most people prefer the Focusrite over Behringer and Motu over Focusrite. We used Behringer 2031A's for all testing. I've only had one setup with a 1010LT. It was replaced with a Behringer and the sound improved. I would recommend purchasing a new interface from somewhere that will let you return it if not happy with the results.
During the same time we tested 8" studio monitors in the $200-$300 range from Behringer, PreSonus, M-Audio, Yamaha and JBL. Almost everyone liked Behringer the best. Some people liked PreSonus and said the Behringers were a little harsh on highs. Everyone placed JBL at the bottom.
Matt Arnold
http://www.customorganworks.com
info@customorganworks.com
Authorized reseller of Hauptwerk, Milan Digital Audio, Inspired Acoustics, CLR Resources and Sonus Paradisi.

1961TC4ME

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 10:29 am

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply. I knew I had read somewhere here in the past about someone having the chance to compare the 1010LT to another audio interface and that they noticed an improvement in the sound, just couldn't remember who it was. Now that I read your response it has refreshed my memory. I also recall your monitor comparisons. In what way would you say the sound improved with the Behringer over the 1010LT?

Thanks,

Marc

engrssc

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 5:22 pm

My vote is for MOTU in any form.

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 9:31 pm

engrssc wrote:My vote is for MOTU in any form.

Rgds,
Ed

Hi Ed,

I've looked at them, problem is it appears there's nothing they're offering with the number of channels or features of the Behringer or Tascam in the $299 price range.

Then again maybe it's a 'get what you pay for' situation. Regardless, I'm for sure not going to drop $1000 - $1500 on an audio interface. :shock:

Marc

engrssc

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 3:10 am

If it just wasn't the cost factor that gets in the way. :roll:

But I look at it as this is one of those important components that is the vital link to what you ultimately hear. No matter how good the amp(s) and speakers are, they depend on a (good) sound card.

Rgds,
Ed

Eric Sagmuller

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 5:16 am

Yes and the MOTO's as well as some of the newer RME units use the newest DACs, which people do say sound better, or more transparent. Bottom line is, I think you get what you pay for in this case.

Eric

sonar11

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 8:03 am

I've never complained about the sound quality in my MOTU; but the drivers and hardware are quite bad. Mentioned this before, but the volume level changes (quite drastically at times) each time my computer starts, it sometimes emits squealing noises. In short, it's NOT recommended (MOTU Ultralite MK3)

magnaton

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 8:12 am

Hi Marc:

I have a feeling that you won't hear much audio fidelity improvement between your M-Audio1010 and the Behringer. Having read many reviews on the Sound-on-Sound website, they explain how and why the newer and more advanced audio interfaces do indeed sound better. The internal processor(s) and improved audio chip sets that perform the digital_to_audio conversion are faster and smaller. This results in better precision in the DA conversion task, thus better audio fidelity.

Speaking of MOTU, their newer interfaces which incorporate the AVB protocol, have these newer, better sounding chip sets. Maybe that warrants a mid-tier price. BTW, their are still other pro quality audio interfaces who's entry level unit start at over $1K!

A HW friend of mine owns the PreSonus 1818VSL and speaks highly of it. Like the MOTU it has EQ and effects. From the owner's manual, it seems to have a wider and better choice of reverb styles. The downside is the headphone jack piggy backs to the main outputs or maybe another output pair (i.e. 3 & 4). Chalk one up for MOTU as it does have xx discreet channels as advertised. I read the manual for the Behringer interface you are considering and it wasn't clear if the headphone piggy backs on other channels or not since it mentions "Main monitoring".

I would suggest you find a retailer with easy or a cost free return policy so you can try it out and see if you making a lateral move or enhancement. Based on your past thread postings on sound, voice tweaking, routing, etc. I think you'll be able tell in a short time after hooking the new unit up if your sound has improved. :-)

Danny B.

ArnoldOrgans

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 9:37 am

1961TC4ME wrote:Hi Matt,

In what way would you say the sound improved with the Behringer over the 1010LT?

Thanks,

Marc

Hi Marc,
Sorry to chime in so late. The Behringer had more detail than the 1010LT. It also seemed to have less background noise. It's important to keep in mind when switching to the Behringer we upgraded from RCA cables (what the 1010LT supports) to balanced 1/4" cables (what the Behringer supports).

If your current sound doesn't disturb you, I would recommend saving for a better interface. For me if the choice were between a Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 or Scarlett 18i20 | Focusrite I would spend $200 more for a18i20. Of course a MOTU UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid is only $50 more and it's half the size.

Somewhat related to this dicsussion I will mention a customer of ours who has the MOTU UltraLite-mk4. He plays theatre organ and wanted to add more channels to make use of his decorative Conn pipe speakers. I recommended using the Behringer ADA8200 Microphone Preamp as an affordable way to add 8 channels. My thinking was the Conn pipes would certainly be the weak link. He immediately noticed the Tibia had a harshness not present with the MOTO. We switched out the ADA8200 for another mk4 and he is now happy.
I also recently tried the Behringer HPS3000 Studio Headphones. I don't like to use headphones and figured how can you go wrong at $20. It only took 5 seconds to realize what a bad idea it was.
Matt Arnold
http://www.customorganworks.com
info@customorganworks.com
Authorized reseller of Hauptwerk, Milan Digital Audio, Inspired Acoustics, CLR Resources and Sonus Paradisi.

1961TC4ME

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 11:50 am

ArnoldOrgans wrote:

In what way would you say the sound improved with the Behringer over the 1010LT?

Thanks,

Marc

Hi Marc,
Sorry to chime in so late. The Behringer had more detail than the 1010LT. It also seemed to have less background noise. It's important to keep in mind when switching to the Behringer we upgraded from RCA cables (what the 1010LT supports) to balanced 1/4" cables (what the Behringer supports).

If your current sound doesn't disturb you, I would recommend saving for a better interface. For me if the choice were between a Behringer U-PHORIA UMC1820 or Scarlett 18i20 | Focusrite I would spend $200 more for a18i20. Of course a MOTU UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid is only $50 more and it's half the size.

Thank you Matt and also all others here that have responded to my inquiry. I'm certainly not disturbed by any means with current sound, was more wondering if an upgrade from 10+ year old technology might make a difference worth investing in, but from what I'm seeing I might be better off looking in other areas to improve my sound, such as speakers as suggested. I did recently add an additional pair of new speakers which made a nice difference, and as I've written about here on the forum in the past, simply adjusting speaker placement and to which speakers to route ranks has probably made the largest improvement to my sound of anything else I've tried and I can't say this enough as the differences can be night and day.

I'll probably stick with what I have for now but at some in the future a new computer will be in the works and due to the fact the 1010LT will likely not be a candidate for that new computer, I will look at audio interfaces again then.

Thanks again,

Marc

organtechnology

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 1:30 pm

1961TC4ME wrote:
ArnoldOrgans wrote:

Thanks,

Marc

Hi Marc,

Thank you Matt and also all others here that have responded to my inquiry. I'm certainly not disturbed by any means with current sound, was more wondering if an upgrade from 10+ year old technology might make a difference worth investing in, but from what I'm seeing I might be better off looking in other areas to improve my sound, such as speakers as suggested. I did recently add an additional pair of new speakers which made a nice difference, and as I've written about here on the forum in the past, simply adjusting speaker placement and to which speakers to route ranks has probably made the largest improvement to my sound of anything else I've tried and I can't say this enough as the differences can be night and day.

I'll probably stick with what I have for now but at some in the future a new computer will be in the works and due to the fact the 1010LT will likely not be a candidate for that new computer, I will look at audio interfaces again then.

Thanks again,

Marc

Asking subjective questions always gets questionable answers.
Why not buy the FCA 610 from Sweetwater and if you dont like it, send it back for another like the Focusrite and if you don't like that send it back for the MOTU and if you don't like that one, send it back for an RME.
If you don't like the RME you probably need an audiologist. :lol:

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

jkinkennon

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 1:42 pm

adrianw wrote:
one of these has got to sound much better than my current 10+ year old technology M-Audio 1010LT

Maybe not. There have been no changes in technology in this time to transform the audio quality and the 1010LT is a decent performer.

I would advise against giving credence to the subjective answers regarding audio quality. Real differences tend to be measurable. The more one understands about DAC chips and the usual single analog stage following them, the more one will look at price, features, and the like versus different sounds. The audio remains bit perfect right up to the DAC IC unless there are some nightmare design issues.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing