It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:29 am

Audio pulsing

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

laura.bela

Audio pulsing

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 3:36 pm

I am operating Hauptwerk on a Samsung laptop with Windows 7. My instrument is a Rodgers 610. My Interface is a Behringer FCA610. Without a lot of tweaking, everything seems to be working fine except for some subtle audio pulsing, especially with a lot of stops engaged. When I hold a chord, it very gently pulses loud-soft. Wondering if something is overloaded and needs adjusting. Any thoughts??

Laura B.

magnaton

Re: Audio pulsing

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 10:03 pm

Hi Laura:

I guess you chose the FCA610 for your Rodgers 610 based on "610" :lol:

Seriously, I'll take a stab even though I'm not familiar with this unit. My guess is the FCA sampling rate isn't set correctly to match the organ you are loading. Hauptwerk organs are 44Hz or 48Hz the latter being the most popular. Check the driver (you should be using the ASIO driver) and see what sampling rate the Behringer is set at. If you are using the default St. Anne's organ, it is 44Hz but does have a 48Hz variant (St. Anne's for locked 48Hz . .. ).

I'm thinking someone will chime in here soon who actually owns this unit or the expanded FCA1616 model.

Danny B.

josq

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 12:26 am

Which sample set are you using?

Possibly, the "pulsing" is an effect of the Hauptwerk wind model? The wind model simulates what happens in a real organ when there is a shortage of air pressure, which happens especially when a lot of stops are engaged. Go to organ settings>>organ preferences>>wind supply model and disable the wind model or decrease the percentage to see if you can diminish the pulsing effect.

In most cases, I would recommend not to disable the wind model, because the sound will lose a lot of liveliness. However, in some sample set the wind model is unrealistic or too strong.

OrganoPleno

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 9:43 am

laura.bela wrote:When I hold a chord, it very gently pulses loud-soft. Wondering if something is overloaded and needs adjusting. Any thoughts??

Organs do that. It's the natural "beat" between slightly detuned pipes. Adds life and character to the sound!

laura.bela

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 10:32 am

Thanks for all the replies. I will try some of the sampling rate suggestions. I don’t suspect this is a celeste effect as would be evidenced by tuning. This is slower and a bit more pronounced.

I know there is a lot of effort that goes into simulating the extraneous effects of the organ like wind sag, drawknobs thumping, blower noise, etc, but to my ear this sounds more like an audio glitch than an attempt at realism.

Will keep you posted....

Laura

laura.bela

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 10:33 am

Oh and thank you, Danny, for the 610 reference. Never even thought of it. Duh!

mnailor

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 12:54 pm

Audio fading out and returning could also be caused by too high a cpu load for a short time, so samples to the audio interface might be dropped or delayed. My sound fades in and out when software updaters and virus scanners try to run after I've had the machine turned off for a vacation trip.

The View / Large floating control panels / Audio, MIDI and Performance window shows a bar at the highest cpu level seen after you play a while with the window up. Is the cpu meter going into the red when these glitches happen?

See page 200 and above in the user guide 4.2.1 to troubleshoot audio performance issues. Quick checklist on page 213.

laura.bela

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 2:17 pm

Thank you! Yes, I suspected that but didn’t know how do diagnose it. Time for more research!

Laura

laura.bela

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 10:45 am

Update:

I finally realized that my Hauptwerk program was using an ASIO4ALL driver that I had previously installed. I uninstalled it and enacted the ASIO driver from the Behringer interface and now everything is performing beautifully. No pulsing or extraneous noises.

Thank you all for your help!!

Laura

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing