It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 am

For you "skinners"

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Toni

For you "skinners"

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 4:34 am

Hi,
I would want to skin my m-audio oxygen 49 and realise a wooden chassis, but I'm not practical about electronics and I would not want to damage it...
Is it really a rather easy operation as I have read in some thread?
And really can I let unconnected some controls that I will not use (for example the pitch wheel) without problems?
Some tip?
Many thanks!

1961TC4ME

Re: For you "skinners"

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 10:07 am

Hi Toni,

If it's of the M Audio Oxygen 49 MK IV variety I wouldn't mess with it, I'd also go with the normal 61 keys for organ as well vs. 49, that is unless you're under some sort of space limitations.

For 'skinning' considerations you want to find as basic a MIDI controller as possible, i.e. as few knobs, sliders and other gadgets to deal with. You'll also want to go with one you can confirm that others have successfully put under the knife and they came out alive. :lol: I did three M Audio 61es which is an example of a pretty basic MIDI controller that does indeed work well for skinning. They have a pitch and modulation wheel, a volume slider, and a small keypad to change modes and so on, that's it. The Oxygen 49 has way too many controls to deal with when removing from the case and there's no telling what would need to stay connected in order for it to work properly, then to figure out where and what to do with those controls. Even in the case of the 61es, the pitch wheel needs to stay attached along with the small 'mode' keypad which is basically a small circuit board about the size of a match book, the rest did not need to be connected (although I did eventually use them for volume and crescendo controls). These both came out of the case easily and I also easily as well hid them in the back behind the keyboards on the key stack foundation I built and other than being attached, they are out of sight and do not need to be used for anything. This did require extending the wires just a little but was no major deal, the wires are individually marked so you can easily cut and extend them correctly. The other issue with the Oxygen 49 is it uses a different kind of key and likely key bed arrangement vs. the 61es as an example, and may likely not lend itself to removal from the case. I can't verify this 100% as I've never taken one apart and maybe someone else here can confirm, but my first impression when looking at them at the time was they cheapened up the keyboard in order to add more knobs and controls as the trade off.

If you're serious about this I'd look for the 61es as they are still out there, my understanding now in a black case vs. the earlier version grey case. Another candidate that many have discussed here in the past as being another good candidate for 'skinning' is the Behringer UMX610. Check both out and go with one of them would be my advice.

Marc

Toni

Re: For you "skinners"

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 5:24 am

Thanks Marc,
at the moment I intend to use the 49: keep in mind that I use Hauptwerk for the harpsichord, at least for now... I have no plans to buy a 61 keys and yes, I also have some space problems, but I'll think about it!
You put a real issue: the great amount of controls in oxygen. It's true, I have to take account of this.
At this point it would be useful to know if someone among the forumers has ever skinned an oxygen.
Toni

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI